Summary: Marketing and communications professional with diverse experience in writing, public relations,
event planning, promotions, fundraising, corporate communications and media relations.
Freelance/Contract: Writer, Events Planning & Public Relations; April 2006 – Present
• Writer/Editor/Communications: Write/edit projects as requested for clients. Work includes content for websites, interactive kiosks, press releases, magazine content, annual reports, direct mail solicitation, printed collateral material, radio spots and video. Clients include:
o Mars Petcare
o Gresham, Smith & Partners
o Family Eldercare
o Her Nashville Magazine
o Community Education Partners
o Anode, Inc.
o Vanderbilt University
• Event Planning: Responsible for logistical planning, venue selection, contract negotiations, sponsorship solicitation, booth & vendor solicitation, marketing events, volunteer recruitment, media relations, and all promotional materials for events. Clients include:
o Country Music Association (CMA Music Festival, CMA Awards Show)
o Nashville Convention and Visitors Bureau (Fourth of July Celebration)
o Nashville Zoo (Golf Tournament)
o Family Eldercare (Golf Tournament, Concert, Donor Appreciation Event)
o Central Texas Commercial Association of Realtors (Association Trade Show)
o Steve McNair Foundation (Golf Tournament, MVP Celebration)
o Republic of Texas Biker Rally (Marketing, Sponsorships, Media Relations)
Allstate Insurance Company ; Sr. Corporate Relations Manager 2004 – 2006
• Participate in the regional media relation’s strategy to positively guide public opinion and drive regional objectives.
o Media responsibility to communicate catastrophe response for Hurricane’s Katrina and Rita, both regionally and nationally.
o Responsible for distribution and communication of 1.25M in Allstate Foundation Hurricane Relief Funds for Louisiana and Mississippi. Included coordination of events, determining the best use of funding.
• Provided internal communications to regional staff and agents, as well as external communications to regional media sources.
• Coordinate public relations and media campaigns to leverage sponsorships.
o Department responsibility for event logistics. Including partnerships with marketing department (golf tournaments, football and hockey sponsorships) to insure that Allstate is properly represented and the events are logistically sound.
o Oversee internal and external communication and media partnerships with select events in a five state region.
o Seek out sponsorship prospects for Allstate that fit with the brand image and offer multi-dimensional PR and marketing opportunities to elevate the brand image.
• Regional responsibility for corporate-driven signature programs for regional implementation; such as teen driving, domestic violence, and partnerships with Junior Achievement and Boys and Girls Clubs of America.
bsowers, page 2
United Way of Metropolitan Nashville; Communications/Marketing Manager, 2001-2004
• Creative input and implementation of all United Way events; included collateral materials and logistical planning for luncheons, receptions, conferences, key fundraising events and special promotions.
• Developed marketing and sales pieces in coordination with ad agency.
• Responsible for all press releases and media relations with local media outlets. Developed annual Public Relations plan, wrote and coordinated the annual report, and sought out PR opportunities to create visibility for United Way in the community.
• Staff responsibility to launch United Way’s Caring Club for its 15,000+-donor base. Included soliciting and engaging numerous area merchants to become partners in the discount card program. The Caring Club was developed to increase giving as well as
give United Way further opportunities for relationship marketing. In its first year the Caring Club was responsible for an additional $1,000,000 in donor giving.
Mother’s Against Drunk Driving; State Executive Director, 1999-2001
• Responsible for all proactive and reactive media relations and acted as state spokesperson.
o Wrote and gave numerous speeches including testimony to legislative committees.
o Responsible for all organizational communications and public awareness campaigns through partnerships with statewide media (television, newspapers and radio).
• Preparation, submission, and management of annual budgets.
• Wrote, submitted and oversaw administration of grants. Authored grants exceeding $1 million; was awarded over $500,000 in federal, state, and foundation grants.
• Oversaw all MADD Tennessee programs and staff administration including victim services, youth & elementary school programs, and legislative initiatives.
• Reported to the State Board of Directors.
Country Music Association; Sr. Marketing Manager, 1992-1999
• Approved and oversaw all CMA Music Festival and CMA Award Show promotions with corporate and advertising partners, and supporting media vehicles. Included recruitment of key market stations, producing all special events, activities and talent selection. These promotions were key to the annual success of the Festival and Award Show.
• Backstage and Artist Relations Coordinator for the annual CMA Awards Telecast.
• Assisted with talent coordination, production, travel, registration, and on-site support for organization events including the CMA Music Festival, CMA Awards, Country Radio Seminar, regional marketing events and board meetings.
• Responsible for all Radio promotions, events and awards including the annual radio stations and broadcast personalities of the year judging process.
• Liaison for CMA with the national Ad Council organization for the “Tune into Your Kids” campaign.
o The “Tune Into…” campaign ranked #1 in radio support out of all Ad Council campaigns, both in the number of placements (97% radio participation) as well as donated media dollars.
• Oversaw all operating needs and external communications to the CMA Membership. Included updating membership directory, applications, brochures, and dissemination of industry information and research.
• Developed recruitment as well as external & internal retention programs. Also developed and implemented member benefits, services and workshops.
• Staff responsibility for Radio, Membership and Marketing/PR Committees reporting to the Board of Directors.
Additional Relevant Experience:
Compiled/Published, “The Dance of Heaven;” Multnomah Publishers/2001
Sonic Industries, Regional Marketing Manager, 1989-1992
Clear Channel Radio, Promotions Manager, Regional Sales Manager, 1984-1989
Bachelor of Arts, Journalism/Communications, University of Oklahoma
Portfolio available upon request