email@example.com • 901-***-****
LinkedIn • Bartlett, TN
Communications Manager / Media Relations Director Profile Dedicated and innovative communications professional with extensive industry experience leading internal & external communications activities for government, private, and news broadcasting companies. Creative problem-solver with keen eye for detail and proven success leading conceptualization, development, and execution of internal communication, PR, and media relations strategies. Results-driven leader, ready to collaborate with high-performing teams to ensure success of organizational goals and initiate improvements in overall communication efforts. Areas of Expertise
• Communications Strategy Development
• Crisis Communication
• Public Relations Management
• TV Broadcasting
• Digital & Print Marketing
• Relationship Management
• Copy Writing & Editing
• Community Engagement
• Quality Assurance
• Website Development
• Staff Training & Development
• Social Media Management
• Media Content Creation
• Public Speaking
• Brand Development
Shelby County Health Department, Memphis, TN July/2020 – Present Public Information Officer & Communications Lead – COVID-19 Response Team Develop media strategies to disseminate information on COVID-19 pandemic regarding statistics, precautionary measures, and news updates. Disseminate information on daily statistical updates for internal and external audiences. Supervise Public Information Specialists to ensure effective management of daily productions of media relations, social media platforms, and website. Coordinate media interviews and Joint Task Force briefings for City & Government officials. Oversee operations of call center staff and implement regulatory policies & compliance measures. Prepare press releases, write content for social media posts, and compose articles.
• Hired as first Public Information Officer & Communications Lead within Shelby County Health Department.
• Act as Media Consultant & Advisor to Deputy Director to guide strategic decision-making regarding public communication activities.
• Headed recruitment of call center staff and Public Communication Specialists to build high-performing team.
• Introduced internal communication initiatives to disseminate information on news and events for all on-site staff. Memphis Light Gas & Water (MLGW), Memphis, TN November/2016 – June/2020 Senior Communications Specialist – Corporate Communications & Public Relations Conceptualized, wrote, and edited content for company information brochures, newsletters, press releases, and speeches. Coordinated distribution of relevant communications materials through variety of channels to promote organization services. Established and maintained content schedules for development and release of informative programs, social media posts, and website content. Prepared visual content and photography to accompany written content. Provide public records information through customer account research and submitting release requests. Generated story ideas, analyzed media coverage, coordinated interviews, and conducted media calls to support success of media relations operations. Facilitated coaching and mentoring for staff.
• Collaborated on Power Up Memphis TV program as co-producer and creator. Power Up Memphis is a half-hour television program that features important news from Memphis Light, Gas and Water. Hosted by MLGW Vice President of Community
& External Affairs Gale Jones Carson, each edition of Power Up Memphis features interviews on a wide range of subjects such as energy-saving information, vital safety tips, utility industry news and information on customer assistance programs. MLGW is proud to provide this essential information to our customers.
• Acted as Creative Director, Producer, and Reporter for Memphis Moments feature stories.
• Performed Executive Producer role for production of Memphis Energized TV program. Memphis Energized is a half-hour television program that features important news from Memphis Light, Gas and Water. Each edition of Memphis P a g e 2 2
Energized features energy-saving information, vital safety tips, utility industry news and information on customer assistance programs.
It received a MARCOM Gold award of excellence in 2019. Shelby County Sheriff’s Office, Memphis, TN October/2010 – April/2016 Public Information Officer & Communications Manager Performed role as primary Media Spokesperson to disseminate information to media. Led development of marketing design and branding for agency collateral materials for community involvement. Created and maintained website and Facebook page. Delivered consultations to advise on media communications management with regards to internal crises such as jail escapes, fires, or critical injury incidents. Facilitated crisis communications training sessions for executives. Prepared detailed media reports, marketing materials, and press releases. Compiled comprehensive reports on media activity.
• Led website transformation initiative to improve overall visual appeal and user experience.
• Introduced weekly email distribution to entire agency to ensure employees remained informed on news and updates.
• Built in-house divisional committee to gather feedback from employees on how to improve overall communication efforts. WMC-TV5, Memphis, TN March/2008 – September/2010
Video Journalist, Reporter, & Weather Anchor
Produced all stories for weekday evening newscasts. Coordinated video shoots, wrote content, and edited videos. Performed research to identify new stories and conducted interviews to gather information. Recorded footage with focus on high quality sound and video.
• Performed role as substitute Anchor to assist with channel operations. Additional Experience
Internal Communications Specialist, Tenaris Global Services, Blytheville, AR Copywriter – Direct Mail Marketing, Harrah’s Entertainment Inc, Tunica, MS Communications & Marketing Specialist, American Cancer Society, Memphis, TN Media Relations & News Manager, Tougaloo College, Jackson, MS Director of Communications, Mississippi Department of Human Services, Jackson, MS Communications Coordinator, Jackson Convention & Visitors Bureau, Jackson, MS Education
Bachelor of Arts in Broadcast Communications
California State Dominguez Hills, Carson, CA
Certified Master Public Information Officer, Chris Ryan Seminars Certificate of Completion in Media & Public Relations – FBI LEEDA, Charles Robb, Executive Director, FBI-LEEDA Law Enforcement Executive Development Association, Issued by – Judy Pal, Trainer LEEDA Affiliations & Awards
Gold MARCOM Award, MLGW Tom Lee Storm, 2017
Honorable Mention MARCOM Award, MLGW Kiosk Glitch, 2017 Executive Producer & Radio Show Host, Real Talk Memphis with Chip Washington – 91.7 FM (WYXR.org), August 2019 – Present