Cell: 954-***-**** firstname.lastname@example.org
Multi-lingual public health practitioner with training in epidemiology and health sciences EDUCATION
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Candidate, Health Sciences July 2020 Nova Southeastern University, College of Health Care Sciences Fort Lauderdale, FL Phi Kappa Phi Academic Honor Society
Master of Public Health in Epidemiology US CEPH Accredited May 2014 St. George’s University School of Medicine St. George’s, Grenada Bachelor of Science in Applied Economics June 2003 University of Cienfuegos Cienfuegos, Cuba
NIH Protecting Human Research Participants (PHRP) and CITI Certification RESEARCH & ACADEMIC EXPERIENCES
Research Assessor April 2018-Current
Flight Vidas Program- NIH funded TDCS HIV and The Module Grant Research Studies Fort Lauderdale, FL
Nova Southeastern University, Emory University
• Demonstrated knowledge of the study protocols, the relevant disease diagnoses and medical terminology.
• Screened, scheduled, and conducted informed consent on qualified participants for research studies.
• Executed the study from screening, eligibility, baseline through follow-up phases of the studies.
• Assisted in the development of 8 chronic disease health literacy modules for the module grant study.
• Completed a battery of cognitive, educational, demographic and medical history measures with study participants.
• Responsible for the auditing, cleaning, and maintenance of patient data, including tracking participant progress throughout the study at Nova Southeastern University, FL and Emory University, ATL.
• Conduct patient recruitment via calls, referrals, and active community recruitment. On-site Support Specialist-Contracted April-July 2017 Pfizer Osteoarthritis Clinical Research Study with Acurian, Inc. Fort Lauderdale, FL
• Demonstrated knowledge of the study protocol, the relevant disease diagnoses and medical terminology.
• Screened and scheduled 95% of qualified patients for research.
• Responsible for the maintenance of patient referral database including tracking clinical trial progress.
• Conducted over 5000 patient recruitment calls and referrals in a 3-month period. Project Manager-Contracted 2015-2017
Women’s Perspectives of Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening Study funded by NIH Ft. Lauderdale, FL Nova Southeastern University
• Successfully submitted IRB applications to the Ministries of health in 4 countries one month prior to the PI’s established timeline.
• Developed a strategy for communicating with the IRB representatives in each country that reduced costs by 50%.
• Streamlined the process for participant recruitment in four countries.
• Effectively administered project closeout activities for country liaisons including acceptance of project activities. Research Practicum 2013-2014
Green Family Foundation NeighborhoodHELP™ Program Miami, FL Florida International University
• Implemented health education programs in underserved communities in Miami, FL.
• Conducted structured interviews with over 20 stakeholders on socio-economic problems.
• Data analysis of over 10 years of criminal offense data.
• Conceptualized and created a high impact factsheet to illustrate the results. Independent Researcher 2013-2013
The Grenada Chronic Kidney Disease Study St. George’s, Grenada St. George’s University School of Medicine
• Completed over 1000 medical charts reviews over a 3-year period on the incidence of end stage renal disease (ESRD) and chronic kidney disease (CKD) at the General Hospital.
• Created a system to examine comorbidities and social history of patients diagnosed with ESRD/CKD
• Authored a groundbreaking report on the results of the study. Research Assistant 2012-2013
PATHWAYS MSM Intervention Program New York, NY
amfAR, the Foundation for AIDS Research
• Designed an evaluation plan for a community-based HIV/AIDS prevention intervention.
• Successfully competed and submitted the IRB application for the research study.
• Developed a novel recruitment strategy that increased recruitment numbers by 20 participants.
• Spearheaded data analysis and interpretation of the pre and post test data using SPSS®. English Teacher 2007-2008
Stadwerke Corporation Learning Academy Frankfurt, Germany
• Instructed basic level English course to the management team at the German Stadwerke
• Provided student advisement on course selection
• Evaluated student performance
Administrative Support Coordinator 2005-2007
World Trade Center Medical Monitoring and Treatment Program New York, NY Mt. Sinai Hospital
• Administered standardized questionnaires (in English and Spanish) to 9/11 first responders.
• Database management and data analysis using statistical software packages: IDX®, SPSS®, Microsoft® Access and Excel.
• Produced reports for funding agencies including the American Red Cross and NIOSH.
• Complied with funding agency requirements for reporting, while interfacing with clinical staff and financial personnel to reconcile patient accounts.
Budget Analyst (Part-Time) 2014-2018
Thomas & Associates Financial Management Consultants Ft. Lauderdale, FL
• Evaluates, keeps track, and manages the company’s budget.
• Generates and presents budget reports to top executives on a monthly and yearly basis or as required.
• Evaluates and reviews numerous accounting transactions and carries out all responsibilities related to accounting.
• Performs timely closings at the end of the month and year.
• Responsible for the upkeep of the company’s various worksheets and its financial database. BIBLIOGRAPHY
Thomas-Purcell, K., Ibe, T. A., Purcell, D., Quinn, G., & Ownby, R. (2020). Exploring Spirituality and Technology Receptivity Among a Sample of Older Blacks to Inform a Tailored Chronic Disease Self-Management mHealth Intervention. Patient Related Outcome Measures, Volume 11, 195–207. doi:10.2147/prom.s260949 Purcell, D., Thomas-Purcell, K.B, Ownby, R. An Examination of the Relationship between Older Adults, Technology Use and Depression. (Unpublished manuscript).
KEY SKILLS (COMPUTER AND LANGUAGE BASED)
• Multi-lingual (English, Spanish, German)
• Study recruitment and interviewing
• Medical chart review
• Interpersonal skills
• Data analysis skills using statistical packages
• Management & Budgeting
• Human subjects research certification
• Cultural competence, and conflict resolution skills
• Online learning platforms proficiency (Blackboard & Canvas