Don E. Nickell, Jr.
OBJECTIVE: Industrial / Manufacturing Engineering
Manufacturing Professional with over 20 years’ experience with Manufacturing Engineering and Plant Management. Hands on experience managing Capital Improvement projects. Effectively implemented
Lean and DFT principles in several types of manufacturing environments.
Master Degree in Industrial Engineering, Bachelor Degree in Engineering from Kennedy University. Associate Degree in Industrial Technology from Weatherford College. Teaching Certificate
From Southwest Texas State University.
Steel Plant Manager / Manufacturing Engineer Mar. 2014 to Present
Wylie Manufacturing Petersburg, Texas 806-***-****
- Responsible for the Management of a Machine Shop, Welding Department and Fabrication Operation.
- Responsible for developing production plan for efficient use of material, machines and employees.
- Implemented Lean Manufacturing principals such as 5-S, TPM and Kaizen to improve operation of Plant.
- Worked with Management Team to balance work flow and improve production.
- Responsible for the redesign of the Plant work cells to reduce manufacturing time and cost.
- Responsible for all safety, environmental and quality issues related to the Plant.
- Developed cost effective processes for welding and fabrication.
- Responsible for production cost and product quality.
Plant Manager 2011 to 2014
FWT LLC, Fort Worth Texas, 76124-0597, 817-***-****
- Responsible for the Operation Management of a large steel fabrication Plant.
- Responsible for developing production plan and balancing work flow.
- Work with HR to determine staffing needs and develop Lean training programs.
- Analyze business growth and determine capital equipment needs.
- Recommend equipment and develop new processes that improves production and quality.
- Work with quality manager on reduction of scrap and rework.
Plant Engineering Manager 2004 TO 2011
Owen Oil Tool, Godley, TX, 817-***-****
- Responsible for the supervision and management of Plant Engineering, Process Engineering and
Tooling support team for a large Machine Shop and Explosive Load Plants.
- Managed capital improvement projects and new equipment installation.
- Managed automation project that reduced labor cost, improved quality and improved safety.
- Introduced a maintenance PM program, which reduced machine down time and operating expenses.
- Experience in developing production system for use in hazardous environments.
- Developed manufacturing and assembly work cells to reduce manufacturing cost and improve quality.
Don E. Nickell, Jr Page 2 of 3
Manager Manufacturing Engineer: 2000 TO 2004
Selkirk: Winters Texas 79567, 877-***-****
- Directed Lean continuous improvement team that reduce setup time by 30 to 55 %.
- Justified and managed 2.6 million in capital improvement project for two Manufacturing Plants.
- Assisted in the development of a capacity profile for two manufacturing plants.
- Analyze product design and implementation of process improvements to insure quality and design.
- Designed jigs, fixtures and transfer arms to reduce setup time and improve overall operation.
- Completed development of Automated Vent Pipe Production line that reduced labor cost by 63%.
- Designed DFT/ JIT type Production Cells that improved production by 35%.
- Implemented machine setup reduction program that reduced setup time from hours to minutes.
- Established time standards and developed operation method sheets to be used as benchmarks
For improvements and training.
Manager of Machining Engineering: 1996 TO 2000
UNOCAL / POCO Specialty Materials, Decatur, Texas, 940-***-****
- Responsible for Management of Manufacturing Engineering, Maintenance and Quality departments for a
large Machine Shop.
- Justify and managed 18 capital improvement projects including: shop and office expansion,
Installation of 6 new CNC machines and new environmental control systems.
- Directed "Best of Class" continuous improvement team that reduced manufacturing cost.
- Responsible for all safety, environmental and quality issues related to the business group.
- Developed cost effective processes for machining graphite and silicon carbide.
- Experience and training in Lean Manufacturing.
- Introduced new methods for production planning and scheduling.
- Developed close tolerance machining processes for semiconductor product line.
Industrial Engineer 1992 TO 1996
Special Projects Manufacturing (SPM) -7601 Wyatt Drive - Ft. Worth TX. 817-***-**** (SPM is a Manufacturer of High Pressure Fluid Control System and Aerospace Components)
- Responsible for the developments of manufacturing and assembly work cells to reduce cost.
- Reorganization of warehouse facility to reduce overhead costs and improves our on-time shipments.
- Responsible for in-process improvements to tooling and CNC programming.
- Experience with the redesign of the products to reduce manufacturing cost.
- Redesigned manufacturing plant for expansion and improvements.
- Experience with implementing and maintaining ISO standards.
- Experience with the development of manufacturing time standards for estimating and planning.
- Experience developing ASME weld procedures for welding high-pressure components.
Page 3 of 3
Don E. Nickell, Jr
- APICS Certification Courses in; Master Planning, Production Activity Control,
Material Capacity, Requirement Planning, Inventory Control, And Just-In-Time.
- Certification from Crane Inspection & Certification Bureau in Train the Trainer.
- Gemba Academy training in Lean Manufacturing.
- Whitney Smith’s training course in Leadership Development.
- Complete Management Courses in: Operations and Production Management,
Organizational Management, Inventory Control Management and Engineering
- Certificate of Training from JCIT in Demand Flow Manufacturing (DFT).
- Certificates of Training in ISO Standards,
- Certificate in Statistical Process Control.
- ASQ Training in Quality Audits.
- General Electric Course in Problem Solving.
- Stephen Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.
- Hobart School of Welding Course in Welding Processes and Supervising Welding.
- La Blond Makino Course in Supervising Numerically Controlled Machine
- Seminars in Setup Reduction and Rapid Changeover.
- Seminars and training "Management of Lean Manufacturing.
- Training and experience with CAD/CAM systems and Auto Cad.
- Experience and working skills with Microsoft Word, Excel, Windows.
- Experience with programming Numerically Controlled machines (CNC).