David Groch-Tochman 213-***-**** • firstname.lastname@example.org • LinkedIn • Sherman Oaks, CA
Healthcare Administrator specializing in Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNF), Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFE), Long-Term Care, and Elder Care
• 20+ years of healthcare administration, leadership, and staff development/training experience. 17+ years of healthcare consulting. MA degree in Management backed by licenses as Nursing Home Administrator and RCFE Administrator.
• Advocate for resident-centered/patient-centered care. Track record of excellent QAPI (Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement) review and compliance results, patient census growth, revenue growth, and sustained profitability. Case reviewer and expert witness for plaintiffs in healthcare industry litigation.
• Leadership by example. Establish culture of trust, accountability, ongoing training, and promotion from within. Treat staff and patients with respect and dignity. Minimize survey deficiencies, complaints, and cultural conflicts.
Patient Care Outcomes Quality Measures (MDS 3.0) PDPM Staff Quality Assurance Reviews
Team Building and HR Issues Regulatory Compliance Budget and Cost Management
Marketing and Market Analysis Activity Program Assessment Dietary Services and Systems
Master of Arts degree in Management, University of Redlands, Redlands, CA
Bachelor of Science degree in Geriatric Services and Nursing Home Administration, University of Toledo, Toledo, OH
Nursing Home Administrator Certification, University of Toledo, Toledo, OH
Regional Director of Contracts/ Transitional Care, Mariner Health Central Inc., Santa Monica, CA (8/2017 to 8/2020)
Promoted, Review and negotiate business contracts, Oversight of project to re-establish Transitional Care Unit at local
hospital. review, and develop policies and procedures for merged management of TCU/TCC. Survey Management for
recertification for State and CMS credentialing. Reopened unit with ZERO deficiencies / CMS approved as provider.
Regional Director of Business Development, Mariner Health Central Inc., Santa Monica, CA (1/2016 to 8/2017)
Promoted to Regional Director of Business Development, Responsible for building and maintaining established
relationships with physicians, HMO’s, community Provider’s, oversight of marketing plans for 10 facilities, managed
markets along with coaching and developing strategies with Admissions staff.
Administrator, Santa Monica Healthcare Center, Santa Monica, CA (5/2015 to 1/2016)
58-bed SNF, managed daily operations, review systems and updated, stabilized the staffing and census for the facility.
Administrator, Grand Valley Healthcare, Van Nuys, CA (7/2014 to 3/2015)
99-bed SNF. Managed daily operations, quality of care, resident satisfaction program, corporate finance, accounts receivable, and other key functions. Oversaw annual quality and staffing reviews sent to CMS (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services). Administered high-volume HMO contracts with Kaiser Permanente. Improved quality of life at facility, from interior décor to activity and exercise programs available to residents. Upgraded staff safety training.
• Introduced resident-centered care initiatives. Trained staff in techniques to improve patient satisfaction and handling of resident concerns, including new communication and decision-making skills. Developed concierge program, eliminating or reducing concerns before they escalate to involve DHS, Ombudsman, or HMOs.
• Oversaw excellent survey results: 11 or fewer deficiencies, none higher than D (compared to G rating in 2012).
• Increased revenues by more than doubling number of Medicare/skilled nursing care patients.
• Led team that implemented new Kaiser QA and Q Management quality standards, convincing Kaiser to increase their patient census for hospice care from 20 to 30. Instrumental in setting up hospice and palliative care facility.
• Successfully collected HMO accounts outstanding for more than a year.
• Supervised remodeling projects for greater resident accessibility and safety.
• Reduced food costs 17% by changing vendors and restructuring dietary department.
Trainer/RCFE Educator, Community Training Connection, Chatsworth, CA (10/2007 to Present)
Conduct RCFE professional development seminars, specializing in dementia care training. Also conduct community education and community outreach presentations for Alzheimer’s Association. Consult with multidisciplinary subject matter experts and curriculum developers to update and refresh course content.
Administrator, West Valley Healthcare, West Hills, CA (11/2007 to 2/2010, 5/2012 to 7/2014)
128-bed SNF and Rehabilitation Center. Managed operations, staffing, staff training, marketing, quality assurance, regulatory compliance, finance, vendor relations, and other key functions. Assisted owner with troubleshooting operations of another newly acquired and underperforming facility. Supported internal teamwork and external relations with local community, physicians, and DHS. Introduced pet therapy program and pet park.
• Implemented QA process, advancing facility from 2-star toward 3-star rating.
• Achieved 25-30% skilled Medicare census.
• Led staff 4 years with no lost time incidents by restructuring safety program.
• Negotiated company’s first HMO contracts.
Change Management: guided facility through owner’s bankruptcy proceedings, buy-out, and transition to new ownership. Liaison to court ombudsman. In charge of preparing building for sale, maintaining quality of care while giving presentations to prospective buyers and investors.
• Maintained profitability and less than 2% turnover of staff throughout previous owner’s bankruptcy proceedings.
• Passed State of California staffing review with 3.4+ PPD, exceeding requirements.
• Achieved strong survey results (no deficiencies higher than D).
Administrator, Sherman Oaks Health & Rehabilitation Center, Sherman Oaks, CA (8/2005 to 11/2006)
120-bed SNF. Managed daily operations. Maintained excellent survey results while stabilizing staffing and reducing overtime costs. Reorganized safety program. Developed systems to improve communication with patients’ families, reducing incidents and issues.
• Increased Medicare/skilled care census to 15% of total by attracting referrals from local hospitals.
• Eliminated lost time incidents. Retrained staff in workplace safety awareness.
• Initiated annual holiday dinners for residents, families, and guests, starting an ongoing tradition.
Administrator, Fountainview Subacute and Nursing Center, Los Angeles, CA (4/2004 to 9/2005)
99-bed SNF including 24-bed Medi-Cal certified subacute facility. Worked to optimize patient census, stabilize staffing, and increase profitability. Developed marketing plans to increase patient census and cultivate new referral sources for long-term subacute patients.
• Achieved 92% occupancy of subacute beds and strong survey results (no incidents rated G or higher).
• Reduced safety incidents 40%. Implemented program to increase staff awareness of workplace safety.
Administrator, Windsor Healthcare Management, Los Angeles, CA (11/2002 to 11/2003)
• Led 98-bed SNF to 93% occupancy, including 12% Skilled Services patients. Improved reimbursement for Skilled Services by accurately analyzing MDS and ADL scores for RUG (Resource Utilization Group) classification.
• Maintained quality of patient care and patient census for 4 months with no Director of Nursing in place.
• Led facility to complete 2 surveys with no deficiencies rated above D.
• Reduced average collections to fewer than 30 days.
Administrator, Country Villa Wilshire, Los Angeles, CA (10/1999 to 9/2002)
• Led 81-bed SNF through JCAHO accreditation, remodeling, and improvements to systems and census.
• Developed employee recognition program adopted by other facilities and used for 10+ years.
Nursing Home Administrator and Consultant, AIDS Healthcare Foundation, Los Angeles, CA (6/1998 to 2/1999)
• Oversaw regulatory compliance and quality assurance at 2 nursing facilities.
• AAHSA Convention speaker/presenter on HIV and Long-Term Care.
Administrator, Pacific Homes / Kingsley Manor Care Center, Los Angeles, CA (4/1993 to 6/1998)
• Set State of California record for injury-free days (950).
• Led entire corporation in lowest 5-year turnover rate (less than 10%).
• Created new profit center for facility by establishing Medicare-certified service program.
Previous Administrator experience: N&M Health Management/Sunair, Beverly Enterprises, Jewish Homes of Los Angeles.
David Groch-Tochman 213-***-**** • email@example.com • LinkedIn • Sherman Oaks, CA
Licensed Nursing Home Administrator (# 5102), CA Department of Public Health
Licensed Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFE) Administrator (# 601*******), CA Department of Social Services
CAHSAH (California Association for Health Services at Home)
CAHF (California Association of Health Facilities)
CAHF Leadership Academy Graduate 2019
CAHF Delegate Los Angeles CA 2020
AAHSA/Leading Age (American Association of Homes and Services for the Aging)
ASA (American Society on Aging)
WLS (The Whitehead Leadership Society, alumni of University of Redlands School of Business)
Active in long-term professional care groups on LinkedIn: Licensed Nursing Home Administrators, Elder Care Professionals, Senior Living Healthcare Professionals