Lavanya Yesodharan - LLB, LLM (U.K. & Singapore)
Fereej Bin Omran, Doha, Qatar
firstname.lastname@example.org +974-********, 66894581,
Visa: Family Resident Visa (Qatar)
Qualified Indian lawyer with over 8+ years’ experience (including experience in Qatar) in corporate legal, compliance, company secretarial, litigation and arbitration settings concerning corporate matters. Experienced in drafting and review of commercial contracts, regulatory compliance, due diligence, incorporation, maintaining statutory registers and more. Has represented clients before the Supreme Court of India, Delhi High Court, Madras High Court, Company Law Board, District Courts, Consumer Forums, Tribunals and Arbitrators.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Contract drafting & review
Litigation & Arbitration
Writing skills Due Diligence Legal Research/Analysis EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS
• LLM, Commercial Law, Singapore Management University, Singapore, 03/2018, Grade: B-/73% Marks
• LLM, Commercial Law - Full Scholarship, Queen Mary University of London, U.K., 12/2017, Grade: Merit
• BA, LLB, University of Calicut, Kerala, India, 6/2006, Grade: 2:1
• Diploma in Human Rights, Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi, India (2003)
• Chartered Secretaries Qualifying Scheme, ICSA, U.K. (one exam pending), In Progress
• Professional Affiliations: Member of the Bar Council of India since 2006 and Student Member of the ICSA U.K.
1) Independent Legal Consultant India
Corporate, Compliance & Arbitration Lawyer 4/2018 to 1/2020 Corporate commercial, Contract drafting & review, Legal documentation, Company Secretarial, Compliance, Insurance, Litigation, Trademark and more. Lavanya Yesodharan, LLB, LLM • Page 2
• Drafting and vetting of legal and commercial documents including Master Service Agreements, Confidentiality Agreements, Agreement for Sale, Lease Deed, Vendor Supplier Agreements, Indemnities, Service Bonds, Employment Contracts and other Legal documents.
• Liaising with in-house lawyers and advising the management on various aspects of international law.
• Secretarial work including submitting regulatory returns to comply with Company Law requirements, conducting the Board Meeting, General Meeting etc.
• Liaise with insurance companies on behalf of clients to put in place necessary insurance covers to protect the interest of the client company.
• Interaction with customers, bankers, insurance companies, vendors and other government agencies on various legal matters.
• Managing Trademark filings and Trademark Litigation.
• To support in Merger, demerger, Shareholders Agreement etc. as per Company Law. 2) Queen Mary University of London, UK; &
Singapore Management University, Singapore.
London & Singapore
Double Master Degree: Dual LLM in Commercial Law 6/2016 to 3/2018 Awarded CCLC (Centre for Commercial Law Studies, UK) full Scholarship for the London part of the Dual LLM in Commercial Law Program (London & Singapore).
• London LLM: The main subjects covered were International Finance Law, Transnational Problems in Commercial Contracts, Securities Regulations Law, Banking Law, Corporate Law etc.
• Singapore LLM: The main subjects covered were International Business Law, Foreign Investment Law
(with focus on International Arbitration), E-Commerce Law, Financial Regulations Law, Intellectual Property Law etc.
• Worked part time in the U.K. on legal documentation work, drafting & vetting agreements, litigation drafting etc.
3) Qatar Insurance Company (QIC is the largest insurer in the Middle East) Doha, Qatar Legal/Compliance Associate Lawyer 1/2015 to 6/2016 Regulatory compliance, contract review, drafting internal policies, company secretarial, reinsurance licensing, implementation of new insurance regulations in Qatar and more.
• Mitigated legal risk by conducting legal review of various agreements including agreements relating to confidentiality, services, outsourcing, data transfer, insurance broker agreements, inter-group investment management, employee training and lease deeds.
• Assisted the Head of Compliance in ensuring compliance of business operations with applicable regulations and internal policies hence eliminating the risk of regulatory breach by timely submission of regulatory returns, conducting compliance review, KYC and customer onboarding, preparing compliance monitoring reports on anti-money laundering and preparing updates for the Board/Committees.
• Assisted the legal department in corporate structuring (setting up of SPVs for acquiring properties), drafting and review of employment contracts and appointment/termination letters, providing legal advice on employment related matters, insurance claims and conducted review of insurance policies.
• Assisted the legal and compliance department in redomiciling QIC group’s reinsurance subsidiary
(Qatar Reinsurance Co. Ltd.) from Qatar to Bermuda. Lavanya Yesodharan, LLB, LLM • Page 3
• Independently handled the registration of Qatar Reinsurance Co. Ltd. as a foreign reinsurer in several South/Latin American countries, Azerbaijan and India, thus enabled the underwriters to access the reinsurance market in those countries.
• Assisted the Head of Compliance in ensuring that QIC’s business operations become compliant with the new executive regulations of the Qatar Central Bank for insurance companies in Qatar.
• As part of internal governance, drafted and assisted in review of various internal policy documents including policy on fraud prevention, training & competency, anti-bribery, data protection, outsourcing policy and employment regulations.
• Independently handled registration of legal entity identifier (LEI) code for QIC group entities.
• As part of QIC group’s reorganization of international operations, assisted the legal department in giving effect to intra group share transfers, share swap.
• Handled secretarial work of QIC group entities that included drafting Board and general meeting resolutions to give effect to corporate actions like name change and amendment of Memorandum/Articles of Association, assisted in incorporation/winding up of companies, filing returns with the Companies Registrar and updated statutory registers.
• Liaised with Qatar Financial Centre, Government bodies, legal and compliance departments of group entities and with external lawyers/consultants on a need basis.
• Recognised for developing the training & competency policy for QIC’s Dubai branch as per requirements of the Dubai Health Authority (DHA), bringing the Dubai branch in compliance with DHA’s requirements, hence eliminating the risk of cancellation of the branch’s health insurance license.
NOTE: Extended Maternity Leave Doha, Qatar
9/2011 to 12/2014
4) Wadia Ghandy & Co. (One of the oldest and largest corporate law firms in India) Chennai, India Associate – Corporate Lawyer 6/2010 to 8/2011
Contract review, merger and acquisition (M&A), legal opinions, corporate litigation, due diligence, attended court matters and more.
• Assisted the Partner in drafting legal advice to c. 20 to 25 clients on property law, stamp duty, title scrutiny and on corporate/commercial matters, whilst independently attending client meetings.
• Drafted and reviewed commercial contracts including mortgage deeds, bank guarantees, investment agreements, power of attorney, lease deeds and more.
• Drafted Company Law Board (CLB) petitions, written statements and rejoinders.
• Represented corporate clients before the Madras High Court and Company Law Board (Southern Bench, Chennai) in relation to commercial litigation matters.
• Conducted legal due diligence and prepared reports as a part of merger and acquisition (M&A) transactions, drafted legal opinions and performed legal research. 3) Singh and Associates (Full service law firm based in the national capital of India) New Delhi, India Associate – Litigation and Arbitration Lawyer 5/2007 to 6/2010 Corporate litigation, represented clients before the Supreme Court, Delhi High Court, consumer forums, Legal research, briefing senior counsel and more.
• Represented over 200+ clients in court cases and legal proceedings before the Supreme Court of India, Delhi High Court, District Courts, consumer forums, tribunals and arbitrators. Lavanya Yesodharan, LLB, LLM • Page 4
• Independently represented clients whilst leading cross examinations, delivering final arguments, conducting inspections, framing of issues and admission/denial of documents. Assisted the partner in drafting opinions on various legal issues ranging from stamp duty and labour related issues.
• Drafted a spectrum of legal documents from special leave petitions (civil/criminal), writ petitions, appeals, arbitration petitions, suits, criminal/consumer complaints, counter affidavits, transfer petitions, divorce petitions and more. Wrote a number of articles and made presentations to senior lawyers, clients and employees.
• Conducted legal research on a variety of topics via SCC Online, Law Pack, Lexis Nexis and Westlaw.
• Presented case briefings to senior counsel and prepared case files for arguments, evidence in court and more.
4) Chamber of Adv. Bhupinder Yadav – The Supreme Court of India New Delhi, India Associate – Litigation 11/2006 to 5/2007
Represented clients before the Supreme Court, Delhi High Court, consumer forums, Legal research, briefing senior counsel.
• Presented and defended cases before the Supreme Court of India, High Court, Registrar Courts and various other forums and tribunals.
• Drafted civil/criminal special leave petitions and counter affidavits, conducted legal research via Supreme Court digests/manuals and briefed senior counsel. AWARDS:
• LLM full scholarship - Queen Mary University of London, U.K. (2017);
• Quarter-finalist in National Moot Court Competition, S.S. Maniyar Law College, Maharashtra, India,
• Contested two All India Moot Court Competitions at Bangalore & Kerala, India, (2003)
• Won several prizes (1st & 2nd) for classical dance in Kerala State District competitions/University arts festivals.
Dedication, Integrity, Hardworking, adept & fast learner, Independent, self-motivated and a Team Person. TECHNICAL PROFICIENCY:
Expert in Microsoft Office, Outlook and Internet.
English, Hindi, Malayalam & Tamil.
Reading, Painting, Arts, Handicrafts and Classical Dance.