Ph. D Fiber & Polymer Science, North Carolina State University, USA May. 2020 Advisors: Dr. Lisa P. Chapman & Dr. Nelson Vinueza, Wilson College of Textiles. M.S. Textile Chemistry, North Carolina State University, USA July. 2016 Advisor: Dr. Harold S. Freeman, Wilson College of Textiles. B.S. Dyeing & Finishing Engineering, Jiangnan University, CHINA June. 2015 College of Textiles and Apparel.
GRADUATE RESEARCH EXPERIENCES July. 2015 - present Investigation and Optimization of Reactive Dye Digital Textile Printing, NCSU May. 2018 - present
- Collaborated with experts from fabrics, dye/ink, pretreatment, textile printing industries, evaluate and compare industrial reactive ink digital printing process recipes. Discovered fundamental mechanisms of substrate- colorant wicking on influencing the color appearance of the product. Break problems to the fundamentals.
- Developed new analytical chemistry method (HILIC/MS) for reactive inks. Quantified un-fixed dye from printed substrates by extraction. Confirmed chemical forms of un-fixed dyes using the new developed method.
- Generated DOEs, fine-tune pretreatment/post-treatment recipes (pretreatment chemical formulations, fixation conditions), build statistical models regarding the process recipes, ink limits, or the corresponding micromorphology/surface properties to the ink performance such as colors or fixation percentage.
- Created true values for industry production by providing optimal solutions and quality control (QC) protocols for the whole printing process. Lead corrective actions to prevent defects of products. Adjust production process, aiming at promoting fixation, color matching, and reducing waste for mass production.
- Generating peer-reviewed articles based on this research. Flexible Circuit Printing on Cotton Fabric with Carbon Coatings, NCSU Jan. 2017 – Jan. 2018
- Created durable conductive patterns as desired on cotton-fabric surfaces with graphene and gold coatings using “Mask-printing” and computer-based laser-patterning techniques.
- Assembled in-plane, solid-state, mechanical flexible micro-asymmetric supercapacitor devices on the surfaces of cotton-fabrics with high voltage window, realized by nitrogen doping, δ-MnO2 Nano-flower electrochemical deposition, and water-based solid-state (polymer) electrolyte.
- Characterized materials using XRD, FE-SEM, EDX, FTIR techniques.
- Peer-reviewed articles generated based on this research. Reactive Dye Dimerization for Enhanced Affinity to Cotton, NCSU July. 2015 – July. 2016
- Reactive dye dimers synthesized from commercial MCT-VS reactive dyes, for enhanced affinity to cotton.
- Evaluated the performance of reactive dye dimers: %E, %F, K/S, L*a*b* values using spectrophotometer, wash fastness was evaluated according to AATCC test methods.
- Analyzed and identified synthesized products using HPLC, TLC, UV-VIS, and MS techniques.
- Peer-reviewed articles generated based on this research. WORK EXPERIENCES
Funxion Wear Inc., Raleigh, NC Jul. 2018 – Aug. 2018 R&D Intern
- Direct-printing of conductive inks and assembling of wearable sensors on textiles for low-cost production.
- Performed regular lab work related to the R&D, developed DOEs, and evaluated experimental data.
- Established characterization of samples made and make prototype devices for demonstration. NCSU Wilson College of Textiles, Zeis Textiles Extension, Raleigh, NC Jan. 2018 – June. 2018 Dyeing and Finishing Pilot Plant Lab Assistant
- Assisted the lab manager and clients with textile preparation, fiber, yarn fabric and garment dyeing, finishing, and characterization in lab-scale and mass production scale. NCSU Wilson College of Textiles, Raleigh, NC 2016, 2017 Fall Chemistry of Polymeric Materials Laboratory Teaching Assistant
- Prepared laboratory materials and assisted the instructors with developing course content.
- Leaded and supervised undergraduate students during the lab (e.g., polymer synthesis and characterization). TECHNICAL SKILLS
Statistics: Origin, JMP, Excel, Minitab, Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certificated. Analytical Chemistry Skills: LC/MS, HPLC, HILIC, UV-VIS, FTIR, Spectrophotometers Computer-aided design: Adobe Photoshop, SolidWorks, ChemDraw, DaVinci Resolve Bilingual communication in English and Chinese
AWARDS & HONORS
- 2019 Herman and Myrtle Goldstein Graduate Student Paper Competition 3rd Place.