Patricia A. Shantz, P. Eng
firstname.lastname@example.org (403) - 990 - 8632 101 Evergreen Plaza SW, Calgary, AB T2Y 5B2 April 20, 2020
Marketing and Financial Specialist
Please accept my application for the position of Marketing and Financial Specialist in Calgary, Alberta. I am an experienced professional with technical and business skills acquired in the Alberta oil and gas industry. I have a degree in Chemical Engineering from the University of Alberta and a professional engineering membership with APEGA. I have worked in many roles including project management, project controls, estimation, facilities engineering, design engineering, and currently as a technical writer for a software company. I have been employed by Syncrude, Shell Canada, Colt Engineering, and Husky Energy, and Swiftsure Engineering and have worked for clients such as Suncor, Imperial Oil, and Petro Canada. In my current role as a Senior Technical Writer for ICE Health Systems, I have documented design scope and knowledge base documentation for the development of the company’s healthcare and financial software, working closely with subject matter experts. I created the ISO security certification policies for the development department. I have provided marketing documentation and editing for the CEO, including the project lead and design of the new company website soon to be launched, marketing presentations, and RFPs. My broad experience enables me to work in any sector, in both a technical and business role. I am flexible and have a high work ethic. My strong leadership skills enable me to analyze and problem solve conceptual issues to the final product, while critically assessing risk factors, all delivered with high quality results. I excel at interpersonal skills and relate to all levels within an organization from field workers to company executives. My integrity is of the highest priority in my professional career. Working in a team environment allows me to excel, for I am team orientated. I work very well independently and am self-starting. I am highly motivated to learn and can effectively manage priorities with a high attention to detail. I have strong communication and presentation skills. My ability to creatively solve problems is one of my strongest attributes. I am very interested to work for a company where my skills would be utilized and benefit my employer. I look forward to joining an organization where I can be proud to represent. Thank you for reviewing my qualifications and I look forward to discussing how I can contribute toward the goals of your company. Enclosed please find my resume which further outlines my skills, experience and qualifications. Please contact me at your earliest convenience via email at email@example.com or by phone at (403) - 990 - 8632.
Patricia A. Shantz
Patricia A. Shantz, P. Eng
101 Evergreen Plaza SW, Calgary AB T2Y 5B2
Cell: 403-***-**** firstname.lastname@example.org
Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering 1980-1984 University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB
• First Class Standing
• Engineering design, process simulation, business economics, leadership, software Memberships and Associations
• Member of APEGA since 1986
ICE Health Systems, Calgary, AB April 2019
Senior Technical Writer for Software Development and Corporate Marketing
• Technical documentation for software development work scope; work with subject matter experts and developers
• Prepared workflow diagrams for templates and documentation using Draw.io, Google Slides/Docs/Sheets
• Gained in depth knowledge of the company software, identifying user improvements and software bugs in JIRA
• Developed the department policies and procedures for ISO 27001 security certification for KPMG security audit
• Prepared corporate marketing brochures and client presentations for the CEO
• Company branding; designed the content and layout for the new corporate website soon to be launched
• Documented the entire financial and insurance accounting software feature using Confluence and Draw.io
• Created the content response and documentation for a large international Request for Proposal (RFP) using Microsoft Office
Swiftsure Engineering, Calgary, AB 2006-2018
• Support and review of technical papers, patents, and presentations.
• Budget development, input to company strategic direction.
• Approved company director resolutions.
• Purchase and management of Swiftsure company real estate.
• Project managed Swiftsure property renovations in Alberta and British Columbia
• Member of the condominium association Water Treatment Board for the design and upgrade of the condominium water treatment plant.
• Facilitated relations with Swiftsure business associates.
• Personal assistant to the President of Swiftsure Engineering, P. Eng. Colt-WorleyParsons, Calgary, AB 2007-2008
Front End Engineering Design (FEED) Process Engineer
• FEED process to liquefy carbon dioxide for the biomass gasification process for Expander Energy.
• FEED process design for the Expander flare system.
• FEED process design for the KNOC water treatment SAGD facility near Ft. McMurray.
• Applied water treatment technologies including lime softening, mechanical vapor compression, and zero liquid discharge.
Husky Energy, Calgary, AB 2005-2006
Senior Staff Process Engineer
• Completed safety and root cause analysis for redesign of upstream facility fiberglass flare knock-out drums.
Patricia A. Shantz
• Process Lead for the Ram River Gas Plant Expansion sulphur tail gas debottleneck and process selection study completed by Jacobs Engineering. Supervision of contractor staff.
• Lead Process Engineer for the Husky Sunrise SAGD Project (200,000 bopd). Selected EPC process staff, developed project process design criteria, developed the scope of work, supervised SNC process work, initiated overall project mass balance, identified the process design scope of work. Input to the project technology selection. Worked in Reading, Pennsylvania in the WorleyParsons office as part of the Sunrise Project Team.
• Lead the design study for the Sunrise SAGD oil treatment process selection. Supervised SNC and Colt Engineering work.
• Developed a chemical process to gasify waste asphaltenes for the Husky Sunrise Project process. Completed an economic study for the most viable process option using various technologies. Supervised an engineer in training to assist in the study.
Colt Engineering, Calgary, AB 2001-2005
Senior Process Design Engineer/Project Engineer
• Lead Process Engineer for Shell Canada Upgrader: Albian Heavy Synthetic Feed Study for utility, offsites, and tie- ins for the ROSE deasphalting process unit, vacuum distillation unit, and tankage. Supervised process engineers to complete PFDs, equipment sizing, P&IDs. Team travelled to Scotford, Ft. Saskatchewan site for evaluation of existing equipment.
• Assisted in the P&ID development for Devon: Jackfish Commercial SAGD project PADS and gathering lines.
• Completed a conceptual heat medium process study for the Imperial Oil: McKenzie Gas Pipeline Taglu facility.
• Senior Process Engineer for the Petro-Canada Strathcona Refinery: Big Ed Upgrader Conversion reporting to Fluor management on loan from Colt Engineering. Completed all PFDs, material balances, P&IDs, equipment sizing for the cooling water tower and offsites ponds.
• Process Engineer for the Conoco Phillips Surmount: Commercial SAGD design basis memorandum. Specified process design for oil treatment, tankage, vapor recovery unit, and offsites. Wrote the final DBM report for the entire project.
• Process Engineer for the Phillips Alaska: Alpine Capacity Expansion project. Included a stabilizer tray and column design. Used HYSIS to complete a facility mass balance.
• Lead SAGD Process Engineer and Project Engineer for Suncor Energy: Voyageur Upgrader Scoping Study
(220,000 bopd) for technology selection and Environmental Impact Assessment application. Technology selection included: once through SAGD steam generators, diluent recovery, plant heat integration, utilities and offsites, site selection. CAPEX and OPEX identified. Plot plan developed. Wrote and completed the lengthy final reports for the EIA and scoping study. Supervision of the project team.
• Project Engineer for Imperial Oil: Kearl Paraffinic Froth Treatment Plant conceptual design near Ft. McMurray estimated at $4 Billion. Ensured project schedule compliance and deliverables. Conducted a risk assessment study for froth treatment vessel construction.
Tom McCann and Associates, Calgary, AB 2001
Process Design Engineer
• Developed PFDs and H&MBs for the Synenco (50,000 bopd) bitumen gasification process including amine removal, CO2 removal, PSA, and methanation. Cost estimated at $2B. Shell Canada, Ft. Saskatchewan, AB 1987-1997
Senior Process Engineer, Scotford Refinery
• Process Engineer for the Continuous Catalytic Reformer and the synthetic oil Hydrotreater and Hydrocracker, support to operations.
Patricia A. Shantz
• Responsible for catalyst selection and yield performance, catalyst replacement, shutdown catalyst loading supervision, operating unit troubleshooting.
• Liaison for Calgary head office technical specialists for unit operation and catalyst performance, debottlenecking of the refinery, capital projects, shutdown improvements.
• Coordinated the refinery capital budget presenting to plant managers and technical disciplines.
• Capital project evaluations for generating increased refinery revenue.
• Worked with Shell Westhollow Research facility in Houston for optimization of Naphtha Hydrotreater catalyst for desulphurization and denitrification.
• Managed the refinery chloride balance for refinery reliability and installed chloride trap guard beds.
• Lead conceptual process studies to increase benzene production from the Hydrodealkylation Unit which generated revenue over $2M per year, redesign of the hexane unit, pyrolysis gasoline processing,
• Organized Process Engineering team building sessions. Interviewed co-op engineering students from the U of A for employment at Scotford.
Operations Engineer, Scotford Styrene Plant
• Responsible for the daily performance of the plant, including operation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and direction to the plant operators on shift.
• Developed the plant operating and capital budget for the Production Coordinator and Plant Manager Honeywell, Edmonton, AB 1987
HVAC Sales Representative
• Sales calls for the sale of HVAC related instrumentation.
• Survey in schools and business for sales proposals to install HVAC equipment to improve energy utilization. Syncrude, Ft. McMurray, AB 1984-1987
Primary Upgrading Operations Engineer
• Process engineering support to the operators in the tank farm, material balances, design of bitumen loading facility, shutdown support, operating improvement studies.
Estimate and Cost Engineer
• Estimated capital costs for projects up to $10M. Provided cost control for project field construction. Volunteer and Leadership Experience
Swiftsure Foundation, Calgary, AB 2008-2018
• Reviewed charity profiles in Calgary and internationally to award Swiftsure charity donation. Approved donations up to $100K per year. Foundation representation at charity functions and galas.
• Sponsored the DI Centre Woodshop to improve the facility equipment and open an upholstery training centre. Sewing Seeds Foundation, Calgary, AB 2010-2014
• Reviewed charity projects for donation in Peru, Mexico, Africa, and Ukraine. Assisted the foundation to become a charity.
• Allocated funds, participated in fund raising, hosted board meetings. First Alliance Church, Calgary, AB 2008-2016
Funeral Banquet Server
• Prepared and served food for funerals held at First Alliance Church
Patricia A. Shantz
Volunteer and Leadership Experience
Square Butte Ranch Equine Committee, Millarville, AB 2010 Committee Member
• Improved the care of horses and horse facilities at Square Butte Ranch.
• Assisted in cooking at banquets. Decorating and coordinated events at the community hall. Interests
• Own two horses for dressage riding, including lessons, horse showing and mountain trail riding.
• Golf, yoga, power walking, biking in Fish Creek, swimming, boating, hiking, tennis.
• Cooking, symphony, entertaining, reading, history, travelling, socializing with friends, photography, church.