Copy Editor, Expressive Editing
Ottawa: 1-613-***-**** • www.ExpressiveEditing.ca • email@example.com References available upon request. 1
SUMMARY OF STRENGTHS
• Career Goal: To secure a mid-level position in the English Copy Editing/Proofreading (not writing) field.
• Ambition: This editor absolutely loves editing and will ensure the accuracy & clarity of authors’ words.
• Experience: Strong & diverse 25-year career in print & online publishing in the U.S. & Canada.
• Skills: Editing & proofreading, combined with speed, efficiency & creativity, preserve correct English. Have expertise in American, Canadian and UK/Australian English spellings.
• Style: Knowledge of Canadian Press and/or Associated Press stylebooks.
• Current: Freelance Copy Editor for Best Version Media, which publishes three regional magazines. Relevant Copy Editing/Proofreading Skills
• Excellent knowledge of revision and editing of already-existing content.
• Have understanding of voice, style and brand guidelines when copy editing/proofreading (not writing).
• Able to edit in an electronic environment, using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer or Apple Safari.
• Maintain same high editing standard and level, even in stressful situations (e.g., if deadline is fast approaching).
• Differentiate between editing and proofreading, while following the given style.
• Typing speed: 65+ words per minute.
• Knowledgeable in standard, handwritten editing marks.
• Have an expert understanding of Microsoft Word’s Track Changes feature. Freelance Editing Experience (2003 to Present)
Principal Editor & Proofreader (25 years of experience) Expressive Editing, Ottawa, ON
Principal Graphic Designer/Owner (14 years of experience) Expressive Designs, Ottawa, ON
Dolce Media Group, Remote, January 2020 to Present
• Edit articles for magazines and press releases.
At Bay Press, Remote, December 2019 to Present
• Edit manuscripts.
Playwrights Canada, Remote, September 2019 to Present
• Edit play scripts.
Best Version Media, Ottawa, June 2019 to Present
• Edit various articles for three regional community magazines: Neighbours of Stonebridge, Neighbours of West Barrhaven
& Cedarhill, and Neighbours of Manotick.
• Proofread magazines’ PDF proofs before they go to press. TheRightHairstyles.com, Remote, January 2019 to Present
• Edit articles about the many different kinds of hair and all the ways you can style/colour/cut various hair types. Rancho Park Publishing (Publisher in North Carolina), Remote, July 2018 to Present
• Edit clients’ manuscripts/galley proofs; have already edited one book (which has my editing credit within). MDPI Open Access Journals, Remote, February 2019 to June 2019
• Edited scientific articles to be published in various scientific journals. Coyle Media Group (Kanata publisher), Remote, August 2018 to Present
• Edited & proofread LUXE, Fifty-Five Plus and Ottawa Wedding articles, and then the whole magazine as a PDF. SAMANTHA ACKER
Copy Editor, Expressive Editing
Ottawa: 1-613-***-**** • www.ExpressiveEditing.ca • firstname.lastname@example.org References available upon request. 2
XAHIVE, Inc. (Cybersecurity company), Ottawa, July 2016 to December 2017
• Edited entire website, as well as Cybersecurity Manual for Financial Institutions. eScribers (U.S. transcription company), Remote, May 2017 to December 2017
• Edited/proofread various court transcripts, including some for the New York City Board of Education. Ottawa Sport & Social Club, Ottawa, March 2017 to April 2017
• Edited, developed & designed print and online campaign for “Sprummer” registration (“Sprummer” = Spring + Summer). Ayn MacDonald, Royal LePage Team Realty, Ottawa, February 2017 to October 2017
• Edited feature sheets and letters to clients.
Ottawa Business Journal, Ottawa, June 2016 to December 2016
• Edited articles for the OBJ, using Google Docs.
ZenContent, Remote, April 2016 to March 2017
• Edited & revised content within company’s digital platform. Greg O’Donnell, Plant Your Flag Commercial Real Estate Services, Ottawa, July 2014 to December 2018
• Provided ongoing web and print editing & proofreading services.
• Provided desktop publishing services for eBooks: formatted eBooks in Excel, edited & proofread all content.
• Provided transcription/transcribing/typing services, using MS Word, ExpressScribe and InqScribe.
• Provided administrative duties, which included online research and sending emails, using MS Office. Toscano/Walker Team RE/MAX, Orleans, June 2016 to October 2016 & May 2017
• Edited & wrote texts for online & print, and created a company newsletter, in MS Word.
• Redesigned presentation in InDesign, in mid-2017, edited second presentation and updated first one in Adobe InDesign.
• Updated website HTML coding.
*Confidential* NY author, Remote, November 2016 to February 2017
• Edited writer’s non-fiction manuscript.
The Edge Taekwon-Do Academy, Orleans, August 2016 to September 2016
• Edited instructor manual in MS Word, as well as email templates on the GoDaddy email platform. SketchDeck, Remote, February 2016 to December 2016
• Edited clients’ graphics and texts to ensure accuracy and clarity, using InDesign, Illustrator, PowerPoint and Keynote.
*Conﬁdential* author, Remote, September 2015 to December 2015
• Edited Toronto writer’s already translated (from French) ﬁction manuscript, in MS Word. SmartLexic.com, Remote, January 2015 to December 2015
• Edited various texts for clients with dyslexia.
Unambiguous.ca, Remote, May 2014 to December 2015
• Edited various texts, for clients, as they came in. M.H.B. (author), Ottawa, April 2014 to May 2014, August 2015 to September 2015
• Edited two of local writer’s ﬁction manuscripts (have editing credit in Invisible Leash). Dr. Orawee Chinthakanan et al., Remote, August 2015
• Edited a medical and scientific report written by four doctors: Laparoscopic Paravaginal Defect Repair: Surgical Technique and a Literature Review.
Viridis Consultants, Remote, March 2012 to April 2012, May 2015 to June 2015
• Edited two different scientific and technical reports about Australian health facilities’ water quality.
*Conﬁdential* author, Ottawa, October 2014 to January 2015: Edited local writer’s script. Ottawa Rape Crisis Centre, Ottawa, October 2014, January 2015
• Edited “Violence Framed as Honour” website content; and, edited similar report for ORCC’s website (website obsolete now).
*Conﬁdential* author, Ottawa, August 2013 to May 2014: Edited local writer’s self-help book for adolescents. SAMANTHA ACKER
Copy Editor, Expressive Editing
Ottawa: 1-613-***-**** • www.ExpressiveEditing.ca • email@example.com References available upon request. 3
Automotive Quality Solutions/Jon Molesky (President), Remote, April 2012 to May 2013, March 2014 to January 2015
• Edited & proofread U.S. automotive-industry recruiter’s correspondence, web articles, newsletters, etc.
*Conﬁdential* (doctor), Remote, Ottawa, August 2013
• Edited 10-page medical and scientiﬁc study on corneal donor tissue for surgery, for the University of Ottawa Eye Institute’s Department of Ophthalmology.
Sherpa Press (U.S. publisher), Remote, December 2012 to January 2015
• Edited 7 ﬁction manuscripts in MS Word.
• Never in Your Wildest Dreams, Lost and ProFound (have editing credit on ISBN page), The Right One, So, What’s Your Play?, Ethics of a Thief (and its re-release), and The Way Out. Roger Carrier (writer), Remote, March 2013 to September 2013: Proofread & edited ﬁction manuscript: Finding Sagrado. Lyubomyr Ostapiv (Ukrainian), Remote, July 2013 to August 2013
• Edited home-ﬁnance manuscript: Home Finances for Couples. PontLab, Remote, June 2013 to July 2013: Edited short articles on very short notice. The Marketing Center, Remote, February 2013 to June 2013
• Edited entire contents of two American websites, for legal consultants, before they went live.
*Conﬁdential* author, Remote, February 2013 to June 2013: Edited 233-page ﬁction manuscript in MS Word. Cerami Worldwide, Remote, September 2012 to September 2015
• Provided proofreading & editing services for projects, such as manuscripts, white papers and medical-product advertising & product-packaging copy, using Adobe Acrobat. Legal Outreach Inc., Remote, January 2013 to May 2013
• Designed & edited marketing collateral for non-profit’s four curricula.
*Conﬁdential* writer, Remote, January 2013 to May 2013
• Edited ﬁction manuscript in MS Word.
Nicholas Bergman (writer), Remote, December 2012 to February 2013
• Edited 240-page ﬁction manuscript.
iPhoneincanada.ca, Remote, January 2013 to June 2013
• Edited technology news articles for website, with swift turnaround. Block Design, Remote, January 2013
• Edited text of furniture designer’s entire website (blockdesign.ca) using SquareSpace’s content management system (CMS). Project CAP Agency Digital Marketing, Remote, November 2012 to January 2013
• Edited insurance marketing articles, following AP style. Jenetiqa, Remote, October 2012 to February 2013
• Edited & redesigned skin-care company’s MS Word media kit in Adobe InDesign. Golden Child Publishing, Remote, September 2012 to January 2013: Edited and proofread articles for holistic health blog. WebLift SRL, Remote, September 2012 to November 2012
• Reviewed/edited/proofread tech posts before publishing online.
• Posted articles, with client’s CMS, on WordPress website.
• Selected photo to appear with each article.
• Checked articles’ search engine optimization (SEO) settings. Air Conditioned, Remote, April 2012 to May 2012: Edited 500-2,000-word articles with a one- to two-day turnaround. Latté Marketing, Remote, April 2012 to June 2012: Proofread/edited 86-page personal finance eBook. SAMANTHA ACKER
Copy Editor, Expressive Editing
Ottawa: 1-613-***-**** • www.ExpressiveEditing.ca • firstname.lastname@example.org References available upon request. 4
Ottawa Police Service, Ottawa, February 2012 to March 2012
• Edited & formatted the 22-page 2011 Annual Report for the Ottawa Police Service. Red Mobile Consultants, Remote, December 2011
• Substantially edited/formatted a 200-page report about radio spectrum waves for Canadian government (Industry Canada).
• Report included charts, tables & appendices.
VDM, Remote, November 2011 to January 2012
• Data Entry Specialist: Updated database; uploaded files to FTP site; created simple reports; and used basic HTML coding. Korea Yellow Pages, Remote, October 2011
• Data Entry: Entered information into an MS Excel form from many websites. Canadian Pharmacists Association, Ottawa, October 2011
• Edited & formatted a 20-page internal document, including charts and tables, for the association. Demand Media Studios, Remote, August 2010 to May 2011
• Independently edited various types of articles, under daily deadlines, in their electronic environment.
• Edited for grammar, punctuation, spelling, facts, style, plus checked writers’ references and resources. Rogers Media, Ottawa, May 2008 to November 2010 (as graphic designer)
• Edited & designed informative marketing collateral materials.
• Created & proofread promotional emails, as well as designed & edited media kits. Giant Carpet & Flooring, Ottawa, November 2009 to February 2010 (as graphic designer)
• Edited & designed retailer’s print advertisements, published in several area newspapers. Ottawa’s Best SuperSaver, Ottawa, August 2009 to November 2009 (as graphic designer)
• Edited & designed clients’ ads for publication.
Perkins Restaurant & Bakery, Ottawa, June 2009 & November 2009 (as graphic designer)
• Edited & designed the restaurant chain’s table-tent card for “Fruit Topping” promotion.
• Edited & designed a second table-tent card for a promotion for “All-You-Can-Eat” meals. Canadian Automobile Association (CAA), Ottawa, October 2006 to December 2009 (as graphic designer)
• Edited & designed print advertising campaign for four area newspapers.
• Designed an OC Transpo bus wrap (left side, right side and back), which traversed Ottawa streets for more than two years. 240 Sparks, Ottawa, May 2009 to June 2009
• Edited & designed print ad campaign for Metro Ottawa newspaper. Sparks Street Mall, Ottawa, February 2009 to June 2009
• Designed drafts of outdoor lamppost banners (I don’t think campaign ever got off the ground.). Prime Choice Auto Parts, Ottawa, May 2009
• Edited & designed advertising ﬂyer (circulation 1,000). Cash For Gold Canada, Ottawa, March 2009
• Created ofﬁcial company logo, using Photoshop and InDesign. Realtor Bernice Bartlett, Ottawa, July 2007 to August 2007
• Edited and redesigned website for re-launch.
Professional Office Experience (1993 to Present)
Lionbridge, Translation & Localization for Global Enterprises, Ottawa, ON English Transcriber, July 2019 to August 2019 (contract ended early)
• Transcribed heard phrases into Lionbridge transcription platform. SAMANTHA ACKER
Copy Editor, Expressive Editing
Ottawa: 1-613-***-**** • www.ExpressiveEditing.ca • email@example.com References available upon request. 5
NIVA, Communications Consultancy, Ottawa, ON
Desktop Publisher and Q.A. Specialist, March 2019 to June 2019
• Formatted and lightly edited NATO unclassified and Public Release documents. Royal LePage Performance Realty, Brokerage, Real Estate, Ottawa, ON Administrative Assistant, August 2018 to November 2018
• Fielded incoming and outgoing phone calls.
• Used iGuide to generate property feature sheets.
• Requested showing feedback; emailed to the agents.
• Broker-loaded new listings into Matrix; edited and proofread all listings and any other texts. Toscano/Walker Team (RE/MAX)*, Real Estate, Orleans, ON (*Company is now defunct; partnership dissolved.) Office Coordinator, August 2017 to March 2018
• Loaded new listings into the Matrix system, as well the company’s website, Facebook and Kijiji.
• Coordinated the timing of photographs taken, installation of signs and lockbox, as well as when feature sheets are dropped off.
• Fielded incoming and outgoing phone calls and emails, as well as walk-in clients.
• Edited and proofread all listings and any other texts.
• Developed and designed any real estate collateral and materials, as well as coordinated with the printer. Metro Ottawa*, Free Daily Newspaper, Ottawa, ON (*Now defunct; acquired and discontinued by Postmedia.) Graphics & Production Manager, August 2005 to December 2007
• Editing enhanced every single ad’s overall impact, as well as clarified its meaning.
• Compiled & edited listing page(s); also designed entire special sections, complete with ads and editorial.
• Edited and created marketing materials, such as sell sheets, media kits, promo ads & newspaper-box slash cards.
• Designed & edited ads, both on speculation and those that had been booked, from clients’ materials/ideas.
• Designed innovative ads in Adobe CS, CS2 or QuarkXPress under daily deadlines.
• Managed & organized entire Graphics & Production Department myself; organized newspaper archives. Cuative & Company Publishing, Magazine Publisher, Ottawa, ON Art Director/Graphic Designer, Part-time, June 2005 to September 2005
• Assisted in the creation, editing & production of The Socialite, a new publication for this publisher. Nepean This Week*, Weekly Newspaper, Ottawa, ON (*Now defunct; acquired and shut down by Postmedia.) Creative Ad Builder, Part-time, June 2005 to November 2005
• Designed/modified ads in QuarkXPress, Photoshop or Illustrator, then edited each & every ad for clarity. Metro Toronto, Free Daily Newspaper, Toronto, ON
Copy Editor/Design Editor/Features Editor of Entertainment/Lifestyle section, February 2002 to June 2005
• Edited sports, features, news and business pages for CP style, errors and libel.
• Edited Your Money and Moving Up and other monthly special sections/features.
• Contributed to design & editing of Fashion, Mind & Body and Home Fashion sections.
• Assisted in posting articles to Metro’s CMS for website, which included ensuring each story’s accuracy and clarity. InvestmentNews, Weekly Business Newspaper, New York, NY Copy Editor/Page Designer, November 2000 to January 2002
• Edited most of the newspaper’s copy for style, consistency, spelling, grammar, punctuation and libel.
• Responsible for the Markets pages, gathered fund information from Lipper Inc., then formatted to InvestmentNews’ style. Orlando Sentinel, Daily Newspaper, Orlando, FL
Layout Editor/Copy Editor, August 1997 to November 2000
• Edited Sports, News (including Page A1), Features & Special Sections for grammar, punctuation, spelling, style, consistency and libel, under daily deadlines, for all five newspaper editions.
• Checked for section accuracy while press was rolling and made corrections and/or substitutions, as needed and decided by superiors.
• Designed and laid out several pages on CCI, as well as assisted other team members, all while under daily deadlines. SAMANTHA ACKER
Copy Editor, Expressive Editing
Ottawa: 1-613-***-**** • www.ExpressiveEditing.ca • firstname.lastname@example.org References available upon request. 6
Paramount Pictures Corporation, Film Production Distribution office, New York, NY Exhibitor Services Assistant, June 1993 to August 1993
• General office duties included answering phones, sending faxes, filing, typing memoranda, taking meeting notes, etc.
• Worked with Microsoft Office Suite.
• Communicated with local theatre chains — AMC, United Artists, Loews and General Cinema — to ensure receipt of promotional materials. Mechanical Experience
Currently use iMac G5, OS 10.11.6, 2.66 GHz Intel Core Duo with 8 GB RAM. Operating Systems: Mac OS X, MS Windows, Apple iPhone 8, iOS 13.2.2. Hardware: Apple iMacs G3/G4/G5, iBook G4, MacBook and various brands of PCs. Software: Mac OS El Capitan, PC OS (MS Windows), Filemaker Pro, Adobe InDesign CC, Adobe Photoshop CC, Adobe Illustrator CC, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Adobe Distiller Pro, QuarkXPress, MS Office, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Google Search, Google Chrome/Docs/Sites/Gmail/Drive, WordPress, SquareSpace, Weebly, Wix, DropBox, Box, WeTransfer, Realty Juggler, Faltour, DocuSign, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Kijiji, Skype and What’sApp (plus eTransfer & PayPal). Education
• University at Albany, Albany, NY, USA; Bachelor of Arts degree. English major, French minor.
• Hillcrest High School, Jamaica (Queens), NY, USA. Liberal Arts program. Languages
• English: Native Language (fluent).
• French: Intermediate level.
• Certified Editor, International Association of Professional Writers and Editors. Online Proﬁle Links
• Expressive Editing editing website: http://www.expressiveediting.ca
• Editing portfolio on YouTube: https://tinyurl.com/qo4zwqc
• Expressive Designs graphic design website: http://www.expressivedesigns.ca/index.html
• Graphic Design portfolio on YouTube: https://youtu.be/XYQSwAzdZ24
• LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/company/expressiveediting
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/expressiveediting
• Indeed: http://www.indeed.com/r/112a20ced6b3d2b3?sp=0
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/SamanthaAcker72
Some Editing Projects
o Website: Plant Your Flag Commercial Real Estate Services — http://www.plantyourflagnow.com o Technical Editing for Industry Canada: Study of Future Demand for Radio Spectrum in Canada 2011-2015 — http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf10253.html o Fiction Novel: Lost and ProFound — http://amzn.to/1cCklDq (Have editing credit on ISBN page) o Self-Help Book: Hack Your Health Habits: Simple, Action-Driven, Natural Health Solutions for People on the Go! — https://tinyurl.com/svmz9jn (Have editing credit on ISBN page) o Short Story: The Right One — http://amzn.to/13qKmgw o Report: Ottawa Police Service Annual Report — https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/lbrr/archives/ cnmcs-plcng/cn30218-2011-eng.pdf (Have editing credit on ISBN page) o Scientific/Medical: Laparoscopic Paravaginal Defect Repair: Surgical Technique and a Literature Review — http://miklosandmoore.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Paravaginal-repair-paper.pdf o Play: Fortune of Wolves — https://tinyurl.com/sfhf9w2