CHRIS ADAMS, CPA (Inactive)
650-***-**** • firstname.lastname@example.org • Los Altos, CA
My professional accounting, finance and audit/tax background includes over 30 years in various industries to include private equity/venture capital (20 years), multiple other industries from start ups (15 years SaaS, Mfg. Medical Device) to large corporations including catalog and restaurant retail (4 years), distribution (4 years), public accounting (2.6 years audit assurance and tax compliance), real estate (4 years), and as a Fractional CFO/CCO/Controller (15 years) for VC, P/E and start ups.
Systems: Proficiency in multiple network and cloud based software applications including: Analytx (SAAS CRM for VC), Slack, Intralinks (VC), Microsoft Office suite, Peachtree/Sage 50, QBO, Transax Gateway (e commerce), Dropbox, Concur and Google Cloud.
• Accounting & financial mgt • Growth strategy development • Controllership & decision support
• Business planning & analysis • Performance measurement • Financial analysis & reporting
• Resource management • Simultaneous outside audits • Credit & collections
• Full cycle accounting • Fundraising sourcing & support • Human resources, legal, and payroll
• Investor communications • Treasury activities
Contract CFO / Controller Venture Capital and Start up September 2013 to present Several startups from medical services & devices (50FTE & 10FTE), SAAS/ecommerce (20FTE /25FTE &30FTE), contract manufacturer, three micro VC’s, mobile, accelerator fund, $700M Registered Investment Adviser Fund of Funds, direct investing VC’s including one top tier early stage $10B+ VC as follows:
• Cask Data (acq by Google), Sway Motorsports, Catalia Health 2015 2017 fundraising decks, fundraising sourcing and administration, pro forma financial modeling, back office administration, financial reporting, full cycle accounting, HR, legal, audit and tax compliance for several start ups Seed to Series C.
• Keen Systems (closed) (SaaS) 2014 successfully implemented HR processes (identified and reduced legal exposure by properly categorizing employees), implemented accounting systems and or systems conversions to cloud based software.
• Draper Fisher Jurvetson (Venture Capital) 2014 2018 Consultant. Successfully implemented an automated annual audit financial statement and footnote reporting process across over twelve fund vintages and multiple billions under management and integrated with PWC audit format.
• TI Platform.vc dba TI Platform Management (Fund of Funds, RIA) 2016 to 2019 – Consulting CFO performing all aspects of the venture capital process scaling $40M ERA FoF VC and direct VC to RIA w/ 700M + AUM (finance, administration, compliance, LP portal, systems). Navigated through an SEC examination w/no action letter. 27 legal entities with 20 outside audits.
• Medvance Partners and FifthSeason Ventures (closed) 2015 to 2019 Guided the formation of administrative and finance infrastructure (financial/LP reporting, systems).
• Stealth start up (2020) – SaaS for retail.
Please note that as a fractional/contract CFO/Controller my contracts can be short and long term. Other clients (past and present) include:
Firebolt Ventures (Venture Capital): Consulting CFO performing all aspects of the venture capital process. Stipple Ventures (Venture Capital): Consulting CFO performing all aspects of the venture capital process. FundCogito (LP/GP VC Portal): Adviser to a start up Fund Administrator Mastermind Studios (Mobile gaming app): Consulting CFO performing financial statements Swing Education (SaaS): Consulting CFO performing financial statements Odoo (SaaS): Consulting CFO performing financial statements. CHRIS ADAMS, CPA (Inactive)
650-***-**** • email@example.com • Los Altos, CA 2 of 3
Controller to CFO – August 2005 to September 2013
Focus Ventures, Palo Alto, CA
$1.1B AUM expansion stage venture capital organization investing in communications, semiconductor and software companies.
• Responsible for the financial and LP reporting and communication, tax, audit, treasury, and certain operational, legal and strategic matters relating to the organization’s three active venture capital funds with over $1.1 billion in assets under management, five general partner entities, one management company, and four internal investment entities.
• Simultaneously worked as CFO/Controller for two Venture Capital firms for six to eight years from 2005 to 2013 while also serving as interim CFO/Controller for a number of related start up medical device companies. Chief Financial Officer – August 2006 to July 2012 Emergent Medical Partners, Portola Valley, CA
Life science venture capital organization focused on healthcare and medical device companies.
• Responsible for the financial reporting, tax, audit, treasury and certain operational, FP&A and budgeting, legal, and strategic matters relating the organization’s one active venture capital fund with +/ $100 million in assets under management, a general partner entity, a management company, and two medical device portfolio companies.
• Interim CFO for two start up medical device portfolio companies up to $12 million Series B. Founder – August 2005 to March 2009
The Nettleton, Memphis, TN
• Venture capital real estate fund, $16 million AUM.
• Real estate development converting an historic building into 34 unit luxury condominiums on the Mississippi River bluffs in Downtown Memphis, Tennessee.
• Property management of 54 unit apartment complex in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Interim CFO – August 2005 to August 2006
Mainsail Partners, San Francisco, CA
• Growth private equity organization
• Responsible for the financial reporting, tax, audit, and certain operational and legal matters relating to four legal entities with over $100 million assets under management. Chief Financial Officer – November 2001 to August 2005 (left to start The Nettleton, a real estate VC) Three Arch Partners, Portola Valley, CA
$1.2B early stage venture capital organization focused on biotechnology, healthcare services and medical device companies.
• Responsible for the financial reporting, tax compliance, treasury, annual audit, fund and management company FP&A, budgeting and pro forma performance analysis and certain operational, legal and strategic matters relating to nine active venture capital funds with over $1.1 billion in assets under management, five general partner entities, one management company, two seed stage portfolio companies and four internal investment entities
• Interim CFO for two start up medical device portfolio companies.
• Overhauled its financial and tax reporting processes. Assisted with the growth of the firm from $270 million in assets under management to over $1.1 billion while adding minimal staff. Controller – June 1999 to October 2001 (Recruited out to Three Arch Partners)) Lightspeed Venture Partners (formerly Weiss, Peck & Greer Venture Partners), San Francisco, CA
$2.1B A venture capital organization focused on early and expansion stage investments in the consumer, enterprise technology and clean tech markets.
• Responsible for all accounting and financial operations for 25 limited liability entities, 11 general partnerships and corporate structures with over $2.2 billion in assets under management. CHRIS ADAMS, CPA (Inactive)
650-***-**** • firstname.lastname@example.org • Los Altos, CA 3 of 3
• Worked with the CFO to plan tax, audit, securities transaction, capital calls and portfolio funding activities. In charge of coordinating, preparing and reviewing monthly, quarterly and year end financial statements, investor reports and investment tracking reports. Coordinated with investment managers and partners, attorneys, bankers and investors regarding investment related operations. Directed all aspects of interim and year end audit and tax compliance. Responsibilities also included hiring, supervising, reviewing and training all accounting and support staff.
• Transitioned directly into the Venture Capital industry as Controller with Lightspeed without any prior industry background. Worked tremendous hours during the information technology bubble six days a week successfully administering multiple M&A and IPO liquidity events.
• Successfully completed two systems conversions to Peachtree and Analytx. Senior Auditor – August 1997 to March 1999 (obtained hours, recruited out) Grant Thornton, LLP (5th largest worldwide CPA firm), San Jose, CA
• Supervised staff auditors in proper audit procedures
• In charge of audits for mid sized distribution, real estate management and manufacturing companies Staff Tax / Auditor – August 1996 to August 1997
Seiler & Company, LLP (at the time, 7th largest Bay Area CPA firm), Redwood City, CA
• Functioned as In Charge Auditor on R&D High Tech companies and Staff Auditor on other audits.
• Experienced in partnership, settlement fund, and individual tax compliance. Previous positions included:
Rare Hospitality (RARE), Atlanta, GA, Financial Accountant, May 1995 to June 1996 Barrie Pace (Hartmarx Corp.), Atlanta, GA, Accounting Supervisor, November 1993 to March 1995 Domino’s Pizza., Atlanta, GA, Senior Consolidations Division Accountant, May 1992 to November 1993 Georgia Industrial Fasteners, Norcross, GA, Accounting Assistant, February 1988 to May 1992 EDUCATION, MEMBERSHIP, COMMUNITY
Certified Public Accountant, CPA (Inactive) State of California
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Major: Accounting, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA
California Society of CPA’s, Private Equity CFO Association and Venture Capital Bean Counters Association
Volunteer coaching kids’ San Mateo Police Activities League (PAL)
Former board member to San Mateo County Health Foundation and advisor to various start ups