SENIOR STRUCTURAL ENGINEER
I would love to add value to your business, using my combined experience and by mentoring younger engineers to develop their skills using my book as a tool. I offer nearly four-plus decades of experience as a well-seasoned Structural Engineer having designed several hundred prestigious projects, which I am pleased to provide you under a separate cover. My strengths are concrete and steel design. My biggest values are my short length of learning curve, my length of experience having been a consulting engineer and my unique combination of Structural Engineering and Building Science.
Concrete & Steel design Ingenious solutions Team builder Delegate work to others Widespread experience Combines art & science Building Scientist Shortest learning curve
• I have limited potential liability at one project by intuitive thinking. Resulted in a benefit to the company by avoiding damaging liability. On another project re-drew the architectural drawings to expedite the construction.
Ferro Anchors June 2018 to Nov 2019
Sr. Structural Engineer
• Designed Davit Arms an similar roof safety systems. Unified Engineering Nov 2016 to Jan 2017
Buildmax Feb to April 2016
Sr. Structural Engineer
• Designed building elements.
Steenhof Building Services Group Oct to Dec 2015
• Supervised six EIT’s and P. Eng’s, checked their calculations and mentored them. Self Employed Structural Consulting 2013 to present
• Connected with my network of architects and clients and writing proposals and submitting bids on design projects. Completed a home renovation project for Jonas Berkit, a contractor. Designed a warehouse addition for Cooksville Steel in London. Submitted bids to TSS Building Science and completed some of the work.
• Medical Leave from MTE, 2010 to 2011
Owing to accident, MTE re-organized and my position disappeared. MTE Engineering, Burlington, 2010 March to April
Sr. Structural Engineer
• Designed building elements and frames for institutional, commercial and industrial buildings. Mentored other engineers to improve the office efficiency.
Dorlan Engineering Consultants Inc., Mississauga, ON 2005 June to July 2009 Sr. Structural Engineer
• Utilized my experience to deliver a number of design projects by the deadline. Attended meetings with clients, architects and others professionals. One project took architect’s drawing that was not in AutoCAD format. I drew on my past experience about parking standards. I proceeded to re-draw the parking garage to figure out the ramps and double helix garage slopes. All to expedite the construction process. M.I. Developments Inc., Aurora, ON Feb 2000 to April 2005 Project Manager
Page 2 of 2
• Learned a new experience to manage construction and renovation projects for Magna International ranging from $250,000 to $3,500,000. Provided in-house structural recommendations.
• Consulted with the press manufacturer’s reps to install two new presses in an existing plant. We decided to raise the roof from 18’ to 70’ over an area of 7,000ft2.
• The contractor then installed two new pits. These covered with a feeding mechanism on top. I managed the existing building repairs to allow the client to install two presses.
• I ensured that the plant remained fully operational during construction. Hannigan Engineering, Woodbridge ON June 1996 to June 1999 Sr. Structural Engineer
• Used my past experience to complete the design of building elements and frames for numerous buildings.
• Collaborated with the architect on the St. Kitts Casino & Hotel.
• I ensured that there were clear sight lines for the casino. It carried three floors above and spanned sixty feet. I made it certain that it had proper safety measures against tropical hurricanes. Adjeleian Allen Rubeli Limited May to June 1996
• Used my skills to design building frames for institutional, commercial and industrial buildings. Giffels Associates LTD., Mississauga, ON June 1994 to April 1996
• Used my then skills in designing frames for commercial and industrial buildings, including the Honda and Toyota manufacturing plants.
• Cooperated with the architect (Robin Clarke) to develop the new 407 Operations Centre. Resolved particular design issues to enable the project to move forward. Freelance work plus Master’s Degree Feb 1991 to May 1994
• Provided contract work with, deceased Mr. Bert Farago on residential home designs, whilst completing my Master’s Degree in Building Science.
Read Jones Christoffersen, Toronto, ON April 1988 to Jan 1991
• Put my skills to use in designing building frames for many buildings.
• Co-designed the structure of a new student centre at York University.
• The concrete was meant to be exposed and the building frame became central focus.
• One of these had a spiral concrete staircase, which I designed. Inducon Consultants, Toronto, ON 1986 to 1988
• This is where for the first time I stamped a building as the engineer of record. I picked up many skills through the design of many other design projects.
Carruthers and Wallace 1985 to 1986
• Designed building frames for institutional, commercial and industrial buildings. Most of my work was on the old GM plant in Oshawa.
Halsall Limited 1981 to 1985
• Designed building frames for institutional, commercial and industrial buildings.
• Participated designing a Federal building in Scarborough, Bank of Canada in Ottawa and National Gallery of Ottawa.
• B. A. Sc. University of Toronto, Structural Engineering, Toronto, Ontario, 1981
• M. Eng. University of Toronto, Building Science, Toronto, Ontario, 1901 -1994 PERSONAL INFORMATION
Member & chapter chair, PEO (Professional Engineers of Ontario) 1984 to current Volunteer work, St. Joseph’s Villa, Dundas, Ontario 2011 to 2012
• General maintenance.
Habitat for Humanity 2013 to present
• General labour.
Book -Green Building and Building Science Concrete, Roads and LEED” Published on Amazon Kindle Page 3 of 2
I am seeking a position in an upper management role, either as a Project Manager, or a Senior Structural Engineer. I have worked as a Project Manager at MID in the early 2000’s. I would love to mentor younger engineers, especially since I wrote a book aimed at them, knowing what it was like to graduate from university, full of theories with zero practical experience. This book is meant to be a replacement for that and one I plan to use to mentor younger engineers. I have also written several spreadsheets to expedite the steel design process. These were design intuitively so that anyone can use it, as all one needs todois to select a beam size from a drop-down menu. These maybe modifiable to suit different codes, should the need arise. I am a team builder and look forward to building one for you, upon receipt of a letter of employment. I remain yours sincerely, in university I took a course called “Advanced Strength of Materials”, wherein we studied beams on elastic foundations and this is the basis of railway tracks design. And I still have a copy of the notes I took then.