Michelle L. Matathia
Nyack, New York *****
Innovative Principal Scientist with demonstrated success developing highly marketable products through
creativity, acquired business acumen and a solid history of exceeding expectations, is seeking a
management position in the personal care industry.
Prestige Consumer Healthcare Tarrytown, NY
March 2018 - Present
• Proficient in OTC drug regulations including FDA and USP monographs
• Transferred formulations to Contract Manufacturers for scale-up and formula
• Interfaced with regulatory, quality, legal and consumer insight teams to determine
appropriate claims and substantiation.
• Developed relationships with supplier chemists to develop formulations in a partnership
with Prestige Brands and ensure that the correct raw materials were chosen to satisfy
• Interacted with sourcing personnel to select the ideal Contract Manufacturer based on their
abilities to scale-up and produce a product or line of products.
• Reviewed and presented CDAs and Master Development contracts with suppliers and
• Collaborated with the clinical group in Lynchburg, VA to determine the best clinical testing
to support product claims.
• Created small in-house panels to obtain an understanding of consumer perceptions.
Senior Scientist II
May 2016 – March 2018
• Formulated company’s first 99 percent natural makeup remover for long wear and water
• Negotiated with multiple suppliers in order to reduce the cost of the product with superior efficacy.
• Interfaced with contract customers to ensure they understood that we were partners
.• Designed and implemented experiments to meet new current preservation systems
without substantially increasing costs in new and existing products.
• Researched new trends in order to be proactive and quickly responsive to current market needs.
• Conducted in house panels as well as customer in use panels to collect
• Collaborated with multiple testing laboratories to develop test methods to ensure that the
claims could be substantiated.
• Ensured full stability and all safety testing were completed as per time line
• Created timelines with Marketing to ensure products were launched on
• Designed new templates for Chemical Specifications allowing more time for R&D
• Collaborated with the NicePak packaging group on innovative
US Nonwovens, Brentwood, New York
Director of Research and Development
April 2015 – February 2016
• Director of all formulation and development.
• Formulation of EPA and OTC certified products.
• Formulated sustainable ‘green’ formulations to support the growing natural products division.
• Purchased Industrial Equipment in order to support innovative formulations.
• Sourced third party manufacturers to meet the manufacturing needs of the novel
• Formulation of non-regulated home care products including in wash scent boosters of the following
varieties (wax, salt and liquid based), all-purpose cleaners, furniture polishes, wet wipes, glass
• Formulation of concentrated fabric softener, concentrated laundry detergents and concentrated
fabric softener for large internet Distribution Company.
• Manage three junior chemists and two technicians.
• Patent pending formula within first month.
• Responsible for purchasing all chemicals for R&D including negotiation and payment
• Formed collaborative team between R & D and engineering to improve and create all
The Estee Lauder Companies, Melville, New York
Senior Research Scientist II –
1989 - 2005
• Discovered naturally derived active and functional materials solely from plant
• Identified existing patents pertaining to these naturally sourced materials and their cosmetic
• Conducted internal seminars to instruct cosmetic chemists on how to formulate with these new
Senior Research Scientist – New Venture Skincare
• Development of new technology including smart sunscreens and active ingredients derived from
• Formulations of an emulsifier-free three and four phase emulsion systems (Technology
• Formulation of high-pressure emulsifier-free liquid crystal milk (Technology
• Development of the “tears” technology (Technology
Chemist/Developmental Chemist/Senior Chemist–Estee Lauder Treatment
• Developed new formulas to include anti-aging products, chemical and non-chemical sunscreens,
body treatment products and self-action tanning
• Profiled competitive products to accurately track industry trends and potential opportunities.
Other Applicable Experience
May 2005-March 2015
Behavior Specialist; Vocational Specialist; Inclusion Specialist