C-Level Profile – Telecom Business (CEO / COO/ Director) Communications engineering background and over 25
years’ experience in the telecom field with telecom service providers and government establishments. Proven executive leadership skills in strategic, technical, commercial & operational management of telecom business, including current 4 years’ C-level experience. Technically resourceful, versatile experience in project management and business operations, well supplemented by academic excellence, while providing leadership and direction to the enterprise to meet strategic & operational goals, as well as organic growth objectives. Strong business acumen & commercial
awareness, top performer, engage and manage multiple stakeholders and cross-functional leadership teams in execution of ambitions business plan. In-depth knowledge of technology, operational, maintenance & aspects telecom networks.
Experienced in fiber optics project management, and five years’ mid-career working experiene with a very Senior staff of HQ Military Industries Commission – Iraq in managing 14 big companies and transferring know how to Iraq and dealing and enhancing the private sector through evaluation and assistance in establishing their own projects which turned out to be feasible and acceptable in market.
Areas of Expertise
• Strategic Business Planning
• Operations Planning/Mgmt
• Profit & Loss Management
• Budgets & Resources Mgmt
• Telecom Technical Services
• Projects Life Cycle Mgmt
• Maintenance Management
• Quality & HSE Management
• People and Process Mgmt
• Performance Management
• Relationships Management
• Team Building & Leadership
• Proven ability to deliver realistic business plan with operating budget in consistent with corporate vision & mission, develop strategies and translate strategies to actionable operating plans, and lead & manage cross-functional leadership teams.
• Adept at administering budgets and controlling finances & expenditures in the entire business cycle to optimize operating cost and meet profitability objectives, while establishing work flow and productive operations.
• Ability to realigning business process and organizational structure to ensure operational effectiveness; while benchmarking and managing performance
• Strong top line and bottom line focus; spearheading business development and techno-commercial operations of business, while setting excellence in operations & creating win-win scenario for stakeholders.
• Understanding of project economics and finances, legal & contractual affairs; ability to build partnerships to service programs/projects, sign MoUs, and establish contracts.
• Highly efficient in managing transition of multiple concurrent projects while leading life cycle planning, budgets allocation & cash flow projection, staffing & responsibilities fixing, setting project communication & controls, defining KPIs and reporting systems, managing project interfaces & dependencies and execution oversight.
• Subject Matter Expert in telecom field with experience in optical fiber projects, setting up large and advanced (2G,3G, 4G LTE ADVANCE) telecom networks from scratch, OSS/BSS, RF, Transmissions, etc.
• Excellent people management skills, motivational leadership style, critical thinking & problem solving skills; ability to strategize & execute high volume business while managing functional management teams in Technical, Finance, HR, Administration, IT, Marketing, Business Development, Operations, and Commercial disciplines. RECENT EXPERIENCE (C-LEVEL)
Group CEO (May 2018 – Present)
COO / CEO (Aug 2015 – Nov 2017)
TISHKNET (4G LTE ADVANCE)
• Collaborate in business and strategy planning, establish budgets & goals, and set short and long term targets.
• Manage strategies and decisions in areas such as sales, service/product strategy, customer service & marketing to implement short & long term business plan designed to drive growth and market share.
• Work with senior management in defining value added products & services to maximize revenue streams for the company
• Establish the pricing and positioning strategy of the company's products/services to penetrate the market.
• Deliver market penetration strategy for target markets backed up by market analysis and segmentation reports. Business Development
• Develop tactical marketing plans for increased brand visibility in target markets, and follow up execution.
• Create highly effective campaigns and promotions that drive results, while executing integrated marketing communications.
• Identify, qualify, and nurture new opportunities resulting in an active pipeline and a high rate of closed deals.
• Maintain communication with management to ensure sales and marketing efforts align with business goals.
• Engage in new deals, secure meetings for hand-off to sales, follow-up, and actively support in increasing close rates. Operations
• Oversee the planning, implementation & evaluation of the organization’s programs on business development, supply chain and sales delivery. Ensure that the programs contribute to the business mission and reflect the priorities.
• Plan & direct internal operations to achieve budgeted sales with desired financial outcome.
• Execute commercial strategies and attainment of objectives in terms of revenues and market share.
• Analyze financials and actual sales versus plan, and work to eliminate operational bottlenecks.
• Oversee the overall performance of the services/products to ensure customer satisfaction.
• Lead management team in the effort to control & optimize overhead expenses, and improve margins. Develop and implement organization structure and charts, and manage MIS.
• Develop and activate control mechanisms, whilst facilitating the restructuring and downsizing of the entire operations.
• Lead change in the communication culture, mediate across departments, clearly define goals and conduct weekly reviews.
• Evaluate the effectiveness of business plan, sales strategy and public relations strategy in order to sustain the strategy impact on overall performance of business.
• Roll out LTE projects and manage projects transition with technical and commercial success.
• Manage business expenses within region, and ensure net revenue growth and retention focusing on new business.
• Facilitate key business and customer relationships management and negotiate potential business opportunities.
• Resolve customer complaints and follow-up the corrective and preventive action relevant to the Technical Support Division. Determine staffing requirements for planned business, and secure approval for new recruitments.
• Oversee the implementation of HR policies and procedures including the development of job description for all staff.
• Recruit, interview & select staff that have the right professional abilities to help further the organization's mission.
• Ensure that all staff receives an orientation to the organization and that appropriate training is provided.
• Implement a performance management process for all staff which includes monitoring the performance of staff on an on- going basis and conducting an annual performance review. Coach and mentor staff as appropriate to improve performance.
• Represent the company with Ministries, statutory bodies, suppliers, customers, people and community. PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE
VIZOCOM 2013 - 2015
Iraq’s Operation Manager (2014 – 2015)
• Managed planning and delivery operations of all the Vizocom projects in Iraq and Kurdistan region, related with ELV (CCTV, ACS, FA, PAGA), internet service (VSAT & fiber optic last mile MW) and IT services (IT solutions, LAN Networking, Optical Fiber network, MW and other IT solutions).
Regional Technical Manager (2013 – 2014)
• Anchored project technical services in Iraq with a special focus on Basra province.
• Represented Vizocom in technical meetings with clients mainly Oil and Gas companies as needed. ITISALUNA 2007 - 2010
CEO Consultant (2009 – 2010)
• Assisted EO in management of client relationships, projects & programs,
• Formulated and implemented recommendations/solutions for resolution of client issues. Technical Director (2008 – 2009
• Led the execution of technology strategy for technology platforms, partnerships, and external relationships.
• Built and managed a top-performing technology team and oversaw research and development.
• Proactively managed major technology changes to sustain company leadership in the competitive landscape.
• Established technical standards and ensure adherence to them for product development and company operations. Network Implementation and Operations Manager (2007 – 2008)
• Implemented telecom sites in Itisaluna network in all provinces.
• Prepared the total plans & procedures for operation phase. Network Operations Manager, Mobitel 3G Telecom – Erbil 2006 - 2007
• Followed up the installation of equipment like MSOFT, MGW, RNC and NodeBs.
• Managed all activities for network preparation & operation. Baghdad OMC & Operations Manager, Asiacell Telecom – Baghdad 2004 - 2006
• Managed the specialist departments that related with operations activities across 150 telecom sites.
• Implemented and performed network monitoring, reporting, analysis, auditing and data filling.
• Coordinated with different sections such as NOC, Customer Care, Transmission, BSS, NSS, VAS, IN, etc. for fault clearance.
• Implemented policies and procedure as stated by the Asiacell GSM procedures in carrying out tasks, such as installations, modifications, and configurations.
VSAT & Optical Fiber Project Manager / Head of Planning & Logistics, KBR Inc. (DTC Contractor) 2003 - 2004
• Project managed Optical Fiber & VSAT installation with KBR [Halliburton].
• Performed Network planning (R&D, design, site surveys, proposals, reports, scheduling, and management).
• Managed material procurement functions (approvals, purchase, shipping, logistics, etc.). Head of Communication Department, Military Industries Commission HQ 1999 - 2003
• Worked with Deputy Prime Minister in managing electronics & communications projects for more than 14 companies. Officer (Co-Engineer), Military Industries Commission 1985 - 1999
• Involved in execution of electronics and communication projects. CREDENTIALS
• Pursuing PhD in Communication Engineering, Gaziantep University, Turkey Since 2015
• M.Sc. (Communication Engineering), University of Technology-Baghdad 2001 – 2004
• B.Sc. (Electronics and Communication Eng.), University of Technology-Baghdad 1994 – 1999
• Deploma in Electronic and Communication, INSTITUTE of Technology-Baghdad 1982 – 1985 Professional Development
• MINI MBA -Informa Telecom - South Africa
• Strategic Thinking in Telecoms - An Executive MBA - Informa Telecom, London
• Budgeting & Accounting for General Managers – Amman, Jordan Teaching Experience
• Part time Lecturer in Engineering college for the final year, teaching Communication system and Optical Communication. PERSONAL PARTICULARS
• Date of Birth: April 27, 1964.
• Languages Known: English, Arabic & Kurdish.
• Nationality: Iraqi.
General Manager, BCI Wasfi
Managed Zakar directly in TISHKNET
‘Since the early day I met Mr. Zakar, Mr. Zakar was a great person to start my new mission with, he was very helpful open minded, well rounded and highly skilled in Telecom and project management. Without Mr. Zakar support, I wouldn’t be able to easily manage the 4G project, he seconded me in Erbil as my deputy and he was able to manage the team and the 4G project in a very professional manner. Mr. Zakar was able to demonstrate his leadership style, management skills, and knowledge in highly professional manner. Zakar has very diversified skills and competences that made him a very successful professional and he is always eager to have more challenges, responsibilities, and he has passion to learn new things. The skills and competences that Zakar has, made him and his team over achieving their objectives, and to meet tough deadlines of any tasks, projects and/or responsibilities he and his team mandated to do’.
‘Mr. Zakar has an excellent team spirit, coaching skills, leadership, management, analysis, and work ethics, very supportive, highly dedicated to his work, team and colleagues with a very positive attitude. Under the direct supervision and support of Mr. Zakar, regarding all Tishknet’s "4G" LTE Advanced project requirements, we have successfully launched our LTE Advanced “4G” network in Erbil, Kurdistan. This was a key milestone for Tishknet to achieve. I was honored to have him in my team, as he added a real value to our company and to Halabja group in general’. Alok Kumar
Director of Sales and Operations at Vizocom
Managed Zakar directly in Vizocom
‘Mr. Zakar joined Vizocom in February 2014 and during the 2 years held key positions of Regional Technical Manager and Iraq‘s Operations Manager. In the whole period of being part of Vizocom's organization in Iraq, Zakar showed utmost professionalism and loyalty’ and his managerial and leadership skills was a key factor in reorganizing and improving Vizocom’s operations in Iraq. He has also specifically contributed a great deal to our largest project in Iraq — our BPA contract with Basra Gas Company (BGC), managing a group of over 60 project managers, engineers and technicians. Mr. Zakar is a very dependable and responsible manager and has very high social principles and values. It is a pleasure to support and recommend him at any time required’. Sami Alsharqawi
Director of Procurement & PMO (Project Management) at Intercellular Nigeria Limited
‘I knew Mr. Zakar thru working together at ITISALUNA - IRAQ, Mr. Zakar possesses high competencies in the field of telecom, project management & high level of leadership skills. Mr. Zakar is highly committed and devoted high level director - his wide scope of knowledge enables him to lead big, diversified teams towards company over all objectives. Wish him all the best in his future endeavors’. Alan Ali Awilkadir
Co-Founder at Kurdistan Public Speaking Academy / Harvard Business School Managed Zakar directly in Asiacell
'Zakar has excellent communications skill. He is very ambitious in learning and continues to renew his knowledge in technical field. I found in Zakar a good manger and I recommend him for management positions in technology sector'.