KAREN LEIGH PRUITT
GREENSBORO, NORTH CAROLINA 27405
POSITIONS HELD (Contract/Remote Positions):
- DORITY & MANNING, P.A., Greenville, SC 02/18 – 01/19
- REICHHOLD LLC 2 (Remote), Durham, NC 01/14 – 09/17
- QORVO, INC. (fka RFMD, INC.) (Remote) Greensboro, NC 05/12 – 11/16
- INNOMOS GmbH, (Remote) Herford, Germany 01/10 - 12/15
- SPECIAL COUNSEL, (Contract) Raleigh, NC 01/12 - 12/13
Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice –Horizon Litigation 05/13 - 08/13
Volvo Financial Services – Corporate Litigation 02/12 - 05/12
Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice – Tobacco Manufacturing Litigation 01/12 - 03/12
- ADJUNCT PROFESSOR Guilford Technical Community College, Greensboro, NC 08/12 -12/12
- TOWER LEGAL SERVICES, Charlotte, NC 02/12 -12/12
- MAYER BROWN LLP, Charlotte, NC 01/08 - 11/09
- BROOKS PIERCE MCLENDON HUMPHREY & LEONARD, L.L.P., Greensboro, NC 12/02 - 05/05
SUMMARY OF EXPERIENCE:
- Case manager for corporate litigation discovery process (patent infringement; trade secrets); lead paraprofessional on large document reviews and eDiscovery projects; corporate liaison with outside counsel; identification of in-house custodians; initial and follow-up interviews with custodians and witnesses; coordinator for document preservation instructions; internal document collection; coordinate corporate discovery responses for outside counsel.
- Extensive experience managing large scale cases including case manager for large complex litigation with United States Attorney Office, case manager for 40 plaintiffs’ on-going litigation files in major multi-plaintiff suit, trial support manager supervising moving and transporting of all trial materials to trial sites including complete set up of work, witness and attorney rooms in hotels during out of town trials; attend trials on a daily basis, with some trials lasting months; case manager for 100+ plaintiffs’ on-going litigation files and mediations in major multi-plaintiff suit; case manager for 350+ on-going litigation cases, arbitrations, mediations, attorney letters, attorney general complaints and pro-se complaints throughout the United States; served as representative for Lawyers Mutual Liability Insurance Company during no-conflict mediations; served as liaison to government agencies, including locating, obtaining and reviewing court records in addition to preparing and monitoring litigation and arbitration files for outside counsel.
- Arrange and supervise document productions which includes requesting responsive documents from clients; development of data systems for document control and retrieval; assist with large document reviews for relevance, confidentiality and privilege information; analysis of case issues and research of fact questions.
- Create, organize and maintain document databases, client and case files; prepare witness files for depositions, witness interviews and trials.
- Frequent out of office travel relating to trials, document reviews and witness interviews.
- Attend and prepare summaries relating to depositions, medical records, miscellaneous documents and corporate records.
- Assist with patent prosecution/litigation; draft paperwork relating to filings with USPTO, including appeals and oppositions, on-line patent and trademark searching, review patents and proofread same.
- Legal Administrator for corporate databases.
- Instructor for Civil Litigation and Civil Injury classes in Paralegal Technology, Associate Degree program.
- Served as consultant/liaison to German software company related to United States market.
- Prior 27 years, restructured employees and positions in multi-office law firm; specialized in investigations relating to alleged violations of export control laws, white collar criminal defense and internal investigations; corporate, employment, insurance and complicated business litigation; legal malpractice, commercial real estate, tax and estate planning.
- Research case law; review, summarize and prepared files to send to outside counsel; assisted in management of case files through on-going correspondence and research with opposing counsel.
- Assist with negotiating settlement demands, offers and counter-offers; recommended settlement resolutions to outside counsel based on research of case; assist with structuring and finalizing settlement packages.
- Draft affidavits, various pleadings and releases; answered discovery and interrogatory requests.
- Responsible for processing documents for purchase and sales of businesses, mergers, commercial loans, formation and organization of business entities, and taxation issues.
- Works closely with clients and maintained good client relations.
- Available to travel on short notice.
GUILFORD COLLEGE, Greensboro, NC
Major: Business Management Minor: Accounting; Marketing
GUILFORD TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE, Jamestown, NC
Associate Degree in Paralegal Technology - 1993
Graduated with Honors, Phi Theta Kappa
Proficient in Microsoft Word and Office, WordPerfect, Dwell, Sanction, Amicus, Relativity, Clearwell, Viewpoint; Needles, QuickBase; Merrill; SharePoint; PowerPoint, Excel, AS400, Summation, Concordance, CloudNine, Case Note, LiveNote, USPTO, Pacer, LexisNexis, Westlaw, electronic filings with State and Federal courts; Internet Searches, many corporate personalized databases; high level of experience with technical discovery concepts including internal collections, file systems and metadata.