Biow Zowdu 415-***-**** firstname.lastname@example.org Los Angeles, CA 90077
Broad technical knowledge combined with outstanding leadership ability and creative problem-solving skills in both strategic and tactical areas. Effective communicator able to explain complex concepts and ideas to non-technical individuals.
• Start-up and Fortune 500 • Automotive Assembly Lines
• Tesla, GM, Toyota Systems • GE/Allen Bradley PLC HMI
• Operation Consolidation • Automation & Controls
• Marketing & Account Manager • Application Integrity
• Application Design & Development • Quality Improvement PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
LA Metro, Los Angeles, CA 2018 – 2019 (Contract)
• Redesigned Metro’s Emergency Evacuation System (automatic control), 28 scenarios of each three underground train station (Fans, Boosters, & Dampers).
• While each station has redundancy, built a generic algorithm to handle 28 scenarios dynamically, & integrate with existing code base.
• During the redesign reduced 1k+ line of codes to 300, for application ease of use, and developer code management.
• Created and delivered documentation of each scenario, with algorithm work for maintenance, and possible future scale when necessary.
• Made application spec. Code changes to HMI buttons, of Emergency Manual Control (Fans, Boosters, & Dampers).
• Created Vmware environment, an isolated lab of pre-production test, salvaging existing resource, and making it possible to establish end goal of redesigning scenario application, & viable customer requirement. SABA LABS, Los Angeles, CA 2016 – Ongoing
• Founded a connected car platform for automotive service providers
• Currently performing pilot tests with service providers in California
• Strategically designed and programed initial mobile test bench using ladder logic black box methods and web/hmi. The experiment was to understand end user use cases and build user stories. Later logic was converted into mobile app algorithm for iOS and Web app. TESLA, Fremont, CA 2014 - 2015 (Contract)
Sr. Controls Engineer
• Successfully programmed and validated Tesla’s front drive and rear drive motor assemblies
• Worked with project team and developed an effective Control System Architecture
• Successfully integrated GE Rx7i and HMI via Proficy-Cimplicity for ten operator stations, work included modifying existing ladder logic codes, diagnosing previous codes, designing and implementing new lines of ladder logic codes for three axis motion control work stations, concurrently updating firmware on each device as necessary, working with Cimplicity db and scripts to update hmi use cases.
• Assisted in the design and programming applications of industrial robotics for assembly line automation with Allen Bradley Control Logix 5000, GE Rx7i and Cimplicity. ABBOTT LABS, Fairfield, CA 2013 - 2014 (Contract)
• Contributed to the design, development and on-going support of process monitoring computer systems with the overall goals of streamlining the staff’s ability to monitor and analyze both manufacturing and laboratory process data by up to 75%
• Performed manufacturing data migration to the cloud for plant floor data visualization
• Reduced issues with site specific developed software by 80% in resolving identified issues
• Performed plant floor control systems gap analysis for cloud access PACIFIC GAS & ELECTRIC, San Francisco, CA 2012 – 2013 (Contract) Lead Systems Engineer/Product Developer
• Translated business requirements into technical specification for development purposes
• Analyzed SCADA/ PLC/HMI system components for life cycle and performance impact
• Interviewed engineers to define and enhance metrics for SCADA/ PLC/ HMI system health
• Provided guidance and coordination with other business organizations
• Published procedures, reporting tools and methodologies to determine the reliability and data accuracy of operation systems
FUJI ELECTRIC AMERICA, Fremont, CA 2010 – 2012
(PLC/HMI & AC Drives Division)
Sales/Marketing Support Engineer
• Supported GE’s Rx7i and HIM with Proficy-Cimplicity since Fuji’s partnership with GE has recently dissolved at the time. Existing Fuji customers has still utilized GE systems, I was the lead regional application engineer supporting Fuji’s customers. I successfully performed modification of existing ladder logic codes, updating firmware to the latest versions in incorporating new technology stacks to existing systems.
• Published PLC/HMI technical addendums, cross reference sheets, and quick start guides
• Performed PLC/HMI diagnostic, maintenance, and firmware changes on GE Rx7i and Cimplicity
• Evaluated QA PLC/HMI features and performance to meet manufacture and end user specification
• Tailored in-house training for sales and services support team that raised performance output by 35%. ROCKWELL AUTOMATION, San Ramon, CA 2007 – 2010
(PLC/HMI & Motion Division)
Sales/Marketing Support Engineer
• Successfully conducted AC drive system start-up & system integration support, and production optimization and substantially corrected customer losses of $.25 million
• Improved and corrected PLC/HMI hardware failures, firmware problems, programming deficiencies, including updates and upgrades that contributed to 45% reduction in error
• Instructed /trained customers on proper AC drive operation and maintenance use condensing overhead by 30%
• Negotiated corporate wide contract deal for application of AC drive products, technologies, manufacturing processes and industry-specific applications to clients per site worth $500,000.
• Provided project and site management support including supervision of project activities such as scheduling, budgeting, and managing human resources deployed to the project trimming cost by 20%. PINNACLE DATA SYSTEMS, INC., Groveport, OH 2006 - 2007 Application Engineer
• Build industrial and commercial computer systems per OEM specifications
• Successfully developed a test bench and standard operating testing methods for products directly reducing recalls by 99%.
• Achieved significant improvements to the accuracy, consistency and speed of quotes by implementing templates, eliminating redundancies and simplifying processes decreasing the average time required for output by 2 to 2.5 days.
• Mentored co-workers and created training manual for new hires.
• Made engineering change in products designs resulting in fewer rejects.
• Identified opportunities for process improvements increasing daily output by 30% TECHNICAL ADDENDUM
• Project/Team: Trello, Jira, Slack, MS Project, Sales/Force, SAP, Clarify/Systems
• SCADA/HMI Platforms: GE Rx7i, GE Cimplicty, OSIsoft PI, RSView SE/ME, PC Based Automation, ControlLogix, Compact Logix, Micrologix, PLC-5, SLC 500, RSLinx, RSLogix 5, RSlogix 500, RSLogix 5000
• AC Drives/ Motion: Power Flex 40,70,400,700, Kinetix Servo 2000, 3000, 6000, Drive Executive, Drive Explorer, Motion Analyzer, Frenic-Mini, Multi, Eco, Mega, 5000G11, 5000P11, Loader Software
• Industrial Networks/ Communication: Ether-Net TCP/IP, Control-Net, Device-Net, Sercos, OPC Standard, Wireless, Hart Protocol, RS 232,RS 485, DH485, DH+
• Asset Management/Security Center: FactoryTalk AssetCentre, FactoryTalk Security
• Other Applications: D-Space, Simulink, ADS, Cadence, CADkey, Auto-Cad
• Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows (98, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, Window7/10) UNIX and LINUX
• Languages: Fluency in writing, reading, and speaking English, Tigrinya, Amharinya with background in French and Arabic
• Excellent leadership, interpersonal, business, and organizational skills
• Exceptional team player
Bachelor of Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
Rockwell Automation EIT Program
Mayfield Heights, OH
• Rockwell Automation Engineer in Transition (RAEIT), Rockwell Automation University
• Project Management Certification (PMC), International Institute for Learning, Inc.
• Project Leadership Simulation Program (PLSP), International Institute for Learning, Inc.
• Acclivus R3 Service (ARS), Acclivus Corporation
• Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
• Ohio State University Engineers Council (OEC)
• National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE)
• International Solar Green Society (ISGS)
HONORS AND ACTIVITIES
• Top Gun Engineer (TGE), Rockwell Automation
• The Ohio State University Dean’s List
• The Ohio State University Young Scholars Program
• Interest in tech, business/development, marketing, strategy, and team work
• Enjoy art, golf, soccer, running, weightlifting, surfing and basketball