**** – Present: Design Researcher
As a Design Researcher, I have been working in a contractual and consultative capacity, and have worked to investigate, uncover, and report on the experiences of end users in order to guide the development of new services, or to improve existing ones. During this period, I have:
• Planned, coordinated, and facilitated a two-day, generative, co-creation workshop to investigate how new and emergent technologies could improve a client’s employee experiences at a brand new, state of the art, multi-building facility.
• Conducted evaluative research, through the use of semi-structured phone/video/one-on-one interview sessions, and prototype evaluation for the development of a client’s internal news publication app to replace both the print and online versions. 2018: MFA in Design Research & Development, The Ohio State University In 2018 I completed my masters thesis, titled: Co-Designing with Veteran Students: Incorporating Co-Design Thinking to Understand Current and Future Experiences of Veterans in a University Environment. Which focused on the transition and integration experiences of Veteran students, and how OSU could improve upon existing, or develop new, services for those students. 2017: Published in the proceedings of the 2017 IASDR Conference My paper outlining both my thesis research, and the process and methodology that I developed, was published as part of The International Association of Societies of Design Researchers (IASDR) 2017 conference.
2014 – 2017: Graduate Teaching Associate, The Ohio State University Department of Design As a Graduate Teaching Associate (GTA) for the Department of Design at OSU, I have assisted Elizabeth B.-N. Sanders, Ph.D. with the planning, teaching, and grading of several different courses, which were:
• Design 3105: Exploring Design Thinking - An overview of concepts, processes, and modes of identifying problems and proposing effective solutions from a design-oriented perspective for non-design majors.
• Design 3200: Design Research I - Introduction to techniques and methods of evaluative research.
• Design 4200: Design research II - Introduction to tools, techniques and methods, and mindsets of generative research.
2012 – 2014: Design Research Consultant
As a Design Research consultant, I would contract to larger firms to augment their research into discovering authentic, innovation driving information to enhance end user experiences, and bring new ones to market.
2011 – 2012: Strategy & Research Intern, Karten Design 2000 – 2011: Enlisted, U.S. Army Reserves. Rank achieved: E6 (Staff Sergeant) During my military career I was responsible for cultural intelligence gathering and information synthesis, civil, economic, and infrastructure development programs, project funds management, U.S. Military/Government advisement, and team command and control. 2009 – 2010: Operation Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan) Operated as a Civil Affairs Specialist and Team Sergeant (MOS 38B) with the responsibilities and accomplishments of:
• Personally lead 43 Key Leader Engagements (KLEs) with government officials, village, and tribal elders while on over 60 patrol operations.
• Maintained and tracked Civil Affairs Team A 201’s emergency relief program, and project development funds exceeding $1,000,000 with a daily accountability of up to $250,000 in hard currency.
• Assisted in the research, development, and implementation of Afghan Rule of Law educational training for 88 Afghan National Police.
• Gathered and synthesized information and raw data from cultural ethnographies and patrol operations into databases and reports.
• Briefed and advised commanding officers in regards to social/cultural, economic, and political atmospheres of the area of operation.
• Worked with, and helped to develop information for, Human Terrain Teams (HTT) a cultural anthropology based government program.
Currently holding an active, secret level, security clearance Education
2018: MFA, Design Research & Development. The Ohio State University 2008: BSD, Industrial Design. The Ohio State University 2007: Study abroad. Kyonggi University, South Korea