******* J. *****
** *** **** ****
Chappaqua, New York 10514
Starwood Hotels & Resorts – Stamford, CT (1/2000 – 4/2017) Vice President Finance & Strategy – Distribution, Loyalty and Partnerships (3/2009 – 4/2017) Managed a worldwide team of 21 finance professionals, developing global operating budgets, forecasts, cash flows and strategic plans. Financial management and consolidation of 14 business units totaling $1.2 billion of fees and expenses, across 176 cost centers and eight channels, which contribute 70% of system wide topline room revenue
• Partnered with Operations to evaluate strategic initiatives and opportunities. Recent initiatives include, airline partnerships, International credit card products in United Arab Emirates (UAE), Japan, and Europe, expanding and developing the mobile check in, Call Center footprint analysis and execution – opening and closing of centers as well as piloting regional centers in key markets.
• Created three year model for strategic planning allowing Executive team to determine if investment and spending levels were viable for the business and in line with the short/long-term financial objectives
• Oversaw the financial analysis of the Preferred Guest Point programs liability - $900 million P&L and $1.5 billion on Balance Sheet, including working with external actuaries in modeling of program members behavior
• Partnered with business lead to recommend change in actuarial liability model, resulting in approximately $100 million in savings to the business over two years
• Recommended changes to the Loyalty program that allowed for a one time reduction in costs of $15 million and annual savings of $5 million – without impacting program benefits or devaluing the currency (i.e. point value)
• Finance lead on team that negotiated the co-brand card contract, exceeding budgeted targets with a 12% price increase, enhanced card member benefits and $35 million signing bonus
• Led business modeling and finance approvals on $25 million +/- in Capital projects
• Partnered with business team to grow Digital channel to $5 billion of revenue and 400 million in unique visitors
• Worked with business analytics team to enhance reporting and forecasting on Digital spend, which improved forecast accuracy within 2%
• Finance lead on ten facility leases for Call Center operations in seven countries around the world
• Ensure that effective internal controls are in place and compliant with GAAP and applicable Federal, state and local regulatory laws and rules for financial and tax reporting Senior Director – Distribution Business Analysis – Sales and Marketing (6/2004 – 3/2009) Led operating budgets, forecasts and strategic planning process. Consolidated ten business units with a $900 million budget, across 146 cost centers and 6 channels, that contributed 50% of system wide topline room revenue
• Created Central Services transition/cost/revenue model, used by M&A team for purchase price negotiations
• Finance lead for all Central Services analysis and integration work streams for all acquisitions
• Created a pricing matrix grid with pricing recommendations, allowing management to easily review pricing impacts by specific fees, ownership type and region
• Developed channel costs model for more accurate fee pricing and profitability modeling
• Negotiated lease on new facilities in Ireland and China, saving $250 thousand in the first year, $2.9 million over eight years, not including landlord provided capital improvements worth $1.4 million - with a purchase option
• Negotiated Agency of Record agreement with media vendor resulting in savings of $250 thousand annually
• Responsible for the development and performance reviews of 15 finance professionals worldwide Director – Business Analysis – STARS Division (6/2002 – 6/2004) Responsible for worldwide budgets and five year Strategic Plan, including channel distribution analysis
• Provided management with fee structure recommendations, increasing revenue by $600 thousand
• Provided cost analysis and recommendations for call center consolidations, resulting in savings of $1.6 million
• Worked on strategy to improve ROI and shorten the payback period of current Revenue Management tool
• Created operational performance model that ties into the staffing requirements for customer service ******* J. ***** Page 2
Manager Financial Planning & Analysis – STARS Division (4/2001 – 6/2002) Drove process for operating budgets, strategic planning and forecasts for business units. Consolidated two business units, 52 cost centers, three channels with a total budget of $125 million.
• Performed financial review on project/initiative business cases for feasibility, ROI, and IRR criteria
• Directed/coordinated multiple teams in the analysis on GDS billings resulting in increased fees of $1.2 million
• Worked with Operational teams to develop performance levers, and drive financial focus as part of daily routine Senior Financial Analyst – Reservation Operations (1/2000 – 4/2001) Supported seven International locations in all aspects of budgets, strategic planning and forecasts for business unit, consisting of 36 different cost centers, and three different channels with a total budget of $100 million.
• Handled all aspects of Capital projects business cases ($17.8 million), from preparation to presentation
• Created five year model by property and by Region to support fee increases, which was reviewed with the Executive Management Team and approved. Annualized incremental revenue was $3.1 million
• Created model for tracking department headcount, FTE and paid hours. International Business Machines - White Plains, New York (12/1996 – 1/2000) Senior Financial Analyst - Forecasting, Measurements and Budget (1/1999 – 1/2000) Financial Analyst – Maintenance (12/1996 – 12/1998)
• Consolidated divisional financial reports, monthly Forecast, Measurements and Cost Analysis for review with Senior Management, including Rates, Volume plans and Staffing plans
• Assessed monthly risks and opportunities and recommend actions to achieve financial objectives
• Provided the necessary decision support and analysis to manage budgets and achieve operational goals
• Worked with operations to ensure comprehension of Project Accounting, creating more accurate project costs
• Automated the reporting process from the ledger resulting in faster and more accurate internal reporting Lees/Keystone, Inc. - Armonk, New York (8/1994 - 12/1996) Controller
Led all aspects of the Finance function for a $20 million marketing company. Partnered with the company owners to drive growth in the business via improved cash flows. Negotiated a credit line and improved the outstanding A/R balance by 66%. Created, hired, trained and developed the accounting staff and function. Prior work experience
United Parcel Service New York, New York (8/1989 8/1994) – held various Accounting manager roles Kass & Jaffe, CPA's - New Rochelle, New York (1/989 - 8/1989) - Part time Junior Accountant Kraft Foods - White Plains, New York (9/1984 - 2/1989) – various accounting roles while attending college
• Prepared forecasts, budgets and cost analysis for 26 operating centers. Presented reports to senior management. Reconciled eight cash accounts and two national bank accounts
• Supervised all aspects of management payroll, included calculation of annual incentive bonus
• Directed daily work assignments and reviewed performance and salaries for a staff up to 18 accountants
• Reviewed and authorized monthly accruals, increasing accuracy and timeliness of expense recognition
• Reduced aged accounts receivable outstanding by 50% by implementing credit policy
• Led Finance projects on revenue analysis, billing enhancements, and analyzing credit requirements for industry
• Generated manual and computerized general ledgers, processed A/R journals, A/P journals, and Payroll
• Assisted in preparation of financial statements and footnote disclosures
• Reconciled year-end and quarterly W-2 statements, and reported and adjusted taxable wages for all states Skills:
Proficient in numerous software applications including Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word), Hyperion, Essbase, SAP, and Access
Iona College - New Rochelle, New York - Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting - 1990 Successfully passed uniform Certified Public Accountants Exam - 1995 Affiliations:
MetroPool Inc., White Plains, NY - Member of the Board of Directors – Treasurer – 2007 to Present
Bronx County, NY - mine, sage, gold, financial analyst, implemented,...
Customer Service Analyst
Stamford, CT - analyst, claims, microsoft, service, proficient,...
Financial Analyst Project
Bronx, NY - hyperion, financial analyst, strategic, monthly,...
Financial Analyst Engineering
Hackensack, NJ - vba, sas, financial analyst, performed, risk,...
Senior Financial Analyst
Ridgefield Park, NJ - financial analyst, reporting, accounting manager,...
Sr. Financial Analyst and Business Unit Manager, VP
Tenafly, NJ - financial analyst, accountant, analyst, sr,...
Customer Service Financial Analyst
Hawthorne, NJ - credit, tax, worked, financial analyst, small,...