WALTER J. 'JOHNNY' WELLS, JR., P.E.
Results-driven Professional Engineer with proven history of facilitating revenue growth and profitability increases through effective management of heavy construction and public works projects and teams. International construction management experience. Special expertise in delay claim analysis, conflict resolution, and surety consulting. Background includes developing and expanding corporate operations, providing litigation support and testimony, and enabling clients to avoid or minimize costs due to claims and change orders. West Point graduate with MS in Engineering from Purdue. Key skill sets include:
x Contract Management x Planning & Scheduling x Construction Engineering x Project Management x Hard Dollar Contracting x Risk Management x Delay Claim Review & Analysis x Bids & Proposals x Negotiations & Mediation
CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT CONSULTANT, Wesley Chapel, FL Present Principal
Provide selected clients a wide range of construction management and other construction-related services on a contract basis. Assignments include project and program management support; analysis and optimization of project delivery and project management options; project start-up, closeout and commissioning; change order negotiations, conflict avoidance, delay claim analysis, surety investigations and litigation support.
ALPHA CORPORATION, Dulles, VA / Miami, FL 2006 – 2015 Senior Project Manager
Evaluated claims and proposed settlements for the Miami International Airport’s $6B capital improvement program. Reviewed and evaluated contractors’ claims for escalation, acceleration, disruption and delay. Made entitlement determinations for change order requests submitted by contractors. Selected Accomplishments:
• Provided analyses enabling the Owner to successfully negotiate restart of $155M baggage handling contract and $135M automated people mover contract, ending several years of ongoing delays. Representative Projects:
• North Terminal, Miami International Airport. Provided claims avoidance and mitigation services for multiple contracts, including roof top automated people mover, core and shell construction, concourse fit-out, baggage conveyor system, and terminal wide communication systems.
• MIA Mover, Miami International Airport. Performed CPM schedule reviews and provided risk mitigation services for this $250M design-build project, a 1.2 mile long elevated rail connection between Miami International Airport and the Miami Intermodal Center.
• Canal Relocation & Utility Modification for Perimeter Road, Miami International Airport. Analyzed contractor request for 580-day compensable time extension following post-9/11 cancellation of project, and provided mutually-accepted settlement proposal.
4302 Round Lake Court w Tampa, FL 33618
813-***-**** w firstname.lastname@example.org
Resolution WAGNER-HOHNS-INGLIS, Mt. Laurel, NJ / Tampa, FL 2002 – 2006 Vice President
Oversaw claim and dispute analysis functions for the company’s Tampa Office. Supervised staff of four. Ensured fulfillment of clients' needs regarding construction claim resolution and litigation support. Additional services included construction management and CPM scheduling. Provided mediation and dispute review board support services to the Miami-Dade County Attorney's Office. Selected Accomplishments:
• Delivered critical assistance vital to success of $250M Performing Arts Center of Greater Miami and
$600M New South Terminal at Miami International Airport projects. Representative Projects:
• South Terminal Development Program, Miami International Airport. Mediated and resolved $9M claim for extension of pre-construction services. Analyzed utility and paving subcontractor claim for 345-day compensable time extension.
• South Drives Elevated Roadway, Miami International Airport. Reviewed and analyzed $10M in dispute claims and negotiated final settlement of $3.5M, which enabled project closeout.
• Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County. Assisted with claims avoidance and construction oversight through formative stages of this $250M high-profile project. Evaluated CPM schedule updates. Provided technical support at project mediations and DRB hearings. FORCON INTERNATIONAL CORPORATION, Brandon, FL / St. Louis, MO 1996 – 2002 Vice President
Directed surety and fidelity consulting, forensic engineering and expert witness services for St. Louis office of company that markets technical services to sureties and insurance providers. Investigated performance bond defaults and recommended completion strategies. Prepared budgets, cash flow forecasts, CPM schedule analyses, and completion estimates and schedules. Observed, monitored, and reported on the progress of completing contractors hired by the surety. Supervised up to six consultants. Selected Accomplishments:
• Maintained superior client satisfaction levels by ensuring timely completion of all projects.
• Monitored highway, public works, and commercial construction projects as large as $20M. Representative Projects:
• Safeco Surety. Performed surety consulting relating to multiple road construction projects for Florida DOT. Conducted weekly site visits for multiple projects totaling $50M. Delivered reports, schedule updates, and oversight reviews. Testified in depositions and trial relating to suit filed by one of bond principal's subcontractors.
• Wausau Insurance Company. Carried out surety consulting for several construction projects in Louisiana, including levees, flood gates, and pump stations. Conducted initial investigations, prepared completion cost estimates, and developed schedules. FRU-CON CONSTRUCTION CORPORATION, St. Louis, MO 1992 – 1995 Operations Manager, Heavy Construction Group
Oversaw $18M heavy construction unit for general contractor, including estimating, strategic planning, and staffing. Developed policies and procedures. Directed project management functions. Organized, deployed, and supervised on-site project management teams.
(Operations Manager, Fru-Con Construction, continued) Selected Accomplishments:
• Improved estimating output 25% and doubled bid success rate by establishing and managing decentralized estimating team.
• Created strategic planning process adopted as standard model for the company. Representative Projects:
• Robert C. Byrd Lock & Dam Roller Gate Replacement. Contractor for US Army Corps of Engineers in West Virginia on $35M project to remove and replace five roller gates, upgrade control systems, and retire legacy lock. As Operations Manager, prepared bid, managed project, and collected $3.4M mistake-in-bid claim at project outset.
• Lemay Creek Sanitary Relief. Operations Manager for $2M sewerage lift station built for the Metropolitan Sewer District of St. Louis. Oversaw rock excavation, foundation work and replacement of old pump station. Prepared bid, staffed project, and assured profitable performance of the work. INTERNATIONAL CONSTRUCTION CONSULTING, Kuwait / US 1986 – 1992 Independent Consultant
Provided proposal preparation, bid strategy, negotiation, and contract management services for investment bankers, architects, and construction contractors in Europe and Middle East. Selected Accomplishments:
• Enabled more than $50M in new work for clients through effective bidding and negotiations.
• Completed more than $20M in hard currency transactions in USSR. Representative Projects:
• Emergency Bomb Damage Repair. Served as Kuwait Operations Manager for Saudi Arabian construction company involved in completing $18M in emergency repairs necessary to re-open roads and airfields following first Gulf War. Completed work in less than one year. Coordinated international labor teams and Middle East's largest fleet of Caterpillar equipment. CAREER NOTES: Captain/Combat Engineer, US Army Corps of Engineers: Company Commander, Viet Nam. Project Officer for construction of nine-story hospital in California. Project Director in Engineer Studies Group, Office of the Chief of Engineers. Additional construction projects include: American Embassy in Moscow, five military family housing complexes in Germany, and turnkey desalination/power plant construction in the Sultanate of Oman and in Saudi Arabia (Jeddah and Yanbu).
MS in Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN BS in Engineering, United States Military Academy, West Point, NY
CERTIFICATIONS & TRAINING
Registered Professional Engineer (Civil), Florida
Certified Quality Action Team Facilitator
Affiliations: National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE), Florida Engineering Society (FES) Computers: Microsoft Office, Primavera, Acrobat
Community Service: Guardian ad Litem Volunteer, Home Owner Association President