Looking for associate scientist position in the biotech and pharmaceutical industry. EDUCATION
University of California, San Diego Sept.2014-Present
• Master of Science in Bioengineering. GPA 3.6. Degree expected in June 2016.
• Thesis: A new diagnostic tool to identify different subtypes of Salmonella and antibiotic resistance in bacteria. Beijing University of Technology, China Sept.2007-July.2011
• Bachelor of Engineering in Biotechnology. GPA 3.85. Winner of Merit Scholarship for three years. University College Dublin, Ireland. Sept.2010-May.2011
• University sponsored exchange program. Focused on Neuroscience and finished graduation thesis. SKILLS
• Skills: qPCR Digital PCR Cell Culture Fluorescent Microscopy Detergent Formulation Data Analysis
• Software: Microsoft Office JMP Matlab MEGA AutoCAD ImageJ Ulead Video Studio WORK EXPERIENCE
Bayer HealthCare Company, Berkeley, U.S. Summer intern Jun.2015-Aug.2015
• Investigated virus inactivation by Triton X-100 and presented poster on behalf of pathogen safety department.
• Cultured PG-4 cell line and performed cytotoxicity and TCID50 assay to test the effectiveness of 0.1% Triton. Procter & Gamble Company, Beijing, China Researcher July.2012-Aug.2014
• Developed new formulas and technology for laundry and dish detergent in Fabric and Home Care.
• Co-inventor of 4 patents on surfactant-polymer system to deliver preferred suds experience for detergent.
• Identified the root cause of one underperforming dish product in Japanese market and found an effective solution.
• Analyzed 40+ polymers using JMP and recommended the polymer for next generation dish product.
• Collaborated with process and consumer research team to conduct the consumer test and optimized the formula. RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
Graduate Researcher, Bioengineering Department, UCSD May.2015-Present
• Developed a diagnostic technology combining multiplex PCR, digital PCR and high resolution melting analysis to identify different serotypes and antibiotic resistance of Salmonella (paper in progress).
• Analyzed sequence difference of 16S rRNA of Salmonella and identified the region for serotype identification.
• Designed primers and amplified target sequences to get the melting curve of bacteria and antibiotic resistant gene.
• Performed digital PCR and high resolution melting on fluorescent microscope and analyzed data using Matlab. 2010 International Genetically Engineered Machine Competition Mar.2010-Nov.2010
• Reconstructed E. coli bacteria chromosome to simulate the process of antibody production in mammals.
• Experimented on multiple fragment ligation in molecular biology and microbiology lab.
• Team earned gold medal in the final competition at MIT (http://tinyurl.com/obmz4jk). Research Assistant, Institute of Psychology, China Academy of Sciences May.2010-Aug.2010
• Assisted in the meta analysis of the differential emotional experience in Schizophrenia patients. (Yan C, Cao Y, Zhang Y, et al. 2012 Trait and State Positive Emotional Experience in Schizophrenia: A Meta-Analysis). Project leader, BJUT Student Research Fund Mar.2009-Nov.2009
• Investigated the anti-HIV activity of an antiviral gene, Trim5-α, from Rhesus monkeys.
• Constructed a eukaryotic expression vector for investigation of its activity in HeLa cells. EXTRACURRICULUM ACTIVITIES
• Volunteer of annual Science EXPO, MLK Day of Service, Dublin Culture Night and Beijing Olympic Games.
• Teaching assistant of Chinese language, member of UCSD Bioengineering Society and BJUT debate team.
• Swimming, badminton, fencing and traveling including travel to France, Switzerland, Italy and Singapore.