email@example.com Tanmay Bandi +1-662-***-****
Mechanical Engineer with hands-on experience in Controls and Quality. Seeking Full-time position starting in June 2019. Education
• Michigan Technological University, MS-ME GPA 3.50 August 2017 – May 2019
• Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, BE GPA 3.75 August 2012 – April 2016 Engineering Projects
1. Control System for Configurable Hybrid Electric Learning Module (CHELM)
• Developed and validated a control system for CHELM using model-based embedded control design approach.
• HEV controlled design with a Mototron controller, an engine ECU and motor controller.
• Determined the torque blending between the engine and motor based on the developed control strategy. 2. Remote Electronic Throttle Control using Controller Area Network (CAN) and Hardware in Loop (HIL) testing
• Software development of a remote electronic throttle connection via CAN communication and built a CAN network using 2 ECUs, defined CAN communication between them and performed PID control logic on MATLAB.
• Used CANking to monitor the CAN bus, real time mask and filtering done through the CAN channel.
• A discrete PID controller was tuned to optimize the engine throttle position using accelerator pedal position and real time calibration done using HIL testing on desktop simulator and test bench. 3. Development of Hybrid Electric Powertrain Controller
• Implemented software control functions into embedded ECU.
• Model-based design of a powertrain controller for series-parallel hybrid electric vehicle using Stateflow.
• Improved the fuel efficiency of the vehicle using battery regeneration and using different powertrain type model. 4. Modeled an Intelligent Cruise Control System on MATLAB and Simulink
• Modified the headway control to maintain the trailing distance from the lead vehicle using integral LQR model.
• Maintain a smooth transfer by resetting the integrator when switching between both the controllers.
• Used Stateflow to control the switching between the velocity and headway controller. 5. Optimal control of HEV using Dynamic Programming and Model Predictive Control using MATLAB
• A simplified plant model is used to find an optimal control for a discrete-time system with a finite number of states and a finite number of possible controls.
• Generated a model predictive control with the time horizon of 10 seconds using the same constraints.
• Discretized state equation, cost function and generated plots of the optimal trajectory, control input and cost. 6. Control Strategy optimization to improve Fuel Economy of Series, Parallel and Power Split Hybrid Electric Vehicle on given AMESim model
• Shift pattern optimization and simulated various powertrain control strategies to increase fuel efficiency.
• Analyzed the effect of battery sizing to find the optimum battery size for better fuel efficiency. Work Experience
Manufacturing Quality Engineer
DiversiTech General Engineering Pvt. Ltd., Indore May 2016 – April 2017
• Performed root cause analysis to improve product quality and process using different quality methods such as Kaizen, 5 Why, Worst of Worst – Best of Best and six sigma tools.
• Conducted metrology study to improve system design and tolerance to limit levels of craftsmanship.
• Carried reliability study for wear and tear of the tools and gauges to validate design changes. Powertrain Engineer – Formula SAE Baja
Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Indore September 2014 – May 2015
• Designed the CVT for the ATV for SAE Baja 2015 competition.
• Supported Brake System development and did Arc welding for the chassis of the car. Manufacturing Engineering Intern
MAN Trucks India Pvt. Ltd., Indore May 2014 – August 2014
• Successfully mapped the quality management processes and assisted the supplier consolidation project to leverage cost and minimize losses and created technical documents to standardize the procedures.
• Worked extensively with cross functional teams to solve chronic issues affecting the product quality. Skills
Controls tools: MATLAB, Simulink, Stateflow, MotoHawk, CANalyzer, HIL, SIL, MIL testing, Testing & Calibration. Six Sigma tools: FMEA, PFMEA, Corrective actions, Control Plans, Kaizen, 5S, Fishbone diagram. Software: AUTOCAD, ProE 3.0, ANSYS, AMESim, Creo, Solidworks, Microsoft Office, DFMA, dSpace (basic). Data Analysis tools: Minitab, SAS, ANOVA, MS Excel, DOE, Statistical Process Control.