Velecia Cooke, BSN RN, AGNP-C
Growing up in Jamaica I can remember going to get my tooth extract at someone’s house without anesthesia or pain medication. Since then I knew I wanted to help the vulnerable and underserved. I came to the state under the wings of my uncle who was at the time in nursing school. We had many meetings about my career path and how going into healthcare is the best option. I pursued my BSN at FAMU and graduated 2011. I got my first job working as a psychiatric nurse with patients of all ages with mental health and drug addiction. In 2012 I became a full-time student at south University School of Nursing Adult- Gerontology Nurse Practitioner Program while working full time during clinical rotations I was exposed to a number of NP practice settings. I am incredibly grateful to work in a profession where I can improve the quality of life of others, it is such a blessing to make a positive difference in patients’ health and well-being. I am humbled by the expressions of gratitude I receive from them every day. Education
MSN 2017 SOUTH UNIVERSITY, SAVANNAH, GA
BSN 2012 FLORIDA A&M UNIVERSITY, TALLHASSE, FLORIDA Credentials
• Registered Nurse
• AANP certified Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner, NP-C
• Florida Licensed
Nurse Practitioner Internship
Lake City VA Medical Hospital, IMCU
Gainesville, VA Honor Center
• analyzed lab tests to accurately diagnose patients and develop treatment plans, including lifestyle changes and prescription medication
• Coordinate with physicians, nutritionists, and other medical staff to develop treatment plans for chronic conditions, including diabetes and heart disease.
• Provide patient education on lifestyle changes for preventing and/or treating chronic conditions
• Reviewed patient charts to have an accurate understanding of health history and current treatment protocols for enhanced care.
RN UF HEALTH PSYCHIATIC HOSPITAL 2012-NOW
Served as a RN that played a key role on interdisciplinary team of psychiatrists, RNs and social workers. Actively participated in development and implementation of individual treatment plans for patients with broad range of mental health issues. Ensured that doctors’ orders were effectively carried out, including testing, medical procedures, consultations and stat orders for five-point restraint. Key Accomplishments:
• Excellent communication and listening skills.
• The ability to gain a patient's trust and build rapport.
• Empathy and the ability to relate to people of all ages and backgrounds.
• The ability to stay calm in difficult situations.
• Assertiveness and the ability to represent patients' interests.
• Considerable charge nurse experience
• Provide direct to mental health(depression, anxiety, suicidal, dementia, bipolar, etc.) and substances abuse disorder
• Team player ready to provide seamless collaborative care for patients. Skills & Abilities
• Work related certification (Handle with Care)- how to manage a behaviorally challenged individual by using verbal, non-verbal and hands-on techniques to de-escalate tension while providing safety for all involved individuals
PHARMACY INTERN 2006
Walgreen in Tallahassee FL.
• verifying and filling prescriptions,
• keeping records, performing basic patient tests,
• providing information on the proper way to take medicines,
• Maintaining inventories.
Honors and Awards
• UFHEALTH customer service key- patients or staff nominate due to demonstration of exceptional customer service
• American Nurse Association
• Sigma Theta Tau, Nursing Honor Society
• meals and wheels
• heart walk
Tessa Gordon, RN Bradley Allen, RN
Cynthia Jones, RN