Courtney Schmarge, SHRM-SCP
Human Resource Professional with ten years’ experience within the corporate, private business and government sectors. Committed to the seamless execution of all company directives pertaining to human resources functions that support all levels of management and staff. Community minded in approach to success. Education
Human Resources Professional Certification Coursework Villanova University Villanova, PA
Bachelors of Arts: American History, English Studies and Education State University at Albany Albany, NY
Society for Human Resources Management: SHRM-SCP 2019-2021 NYS Department of Health: Emergency Medical Technician 2016-2019 Professional Experience
GELLFAM MANAGEMENT INC. New York, New Jersey and Connecticut Region 2017- Present Regional Human Resources Business Partner, Five Guys, Cinnabon and Auntie Anne’s
• Provide remote HR support and guidance to over 25 locations and over 300 employees throughout the NY, NJ and CT regions.
• Act as a liaison between HR and field locations by providing subject matter expertise and feedback for the successful development of programs and policy.
• Utilize knowledge of local, state and federal law as the ambassador for risk management.
• Strong focus on exempt level full life cycle recruitment, support staffing for all levels as needed.
• Identify and develop prospective training sites to ensure the best quality on-boarding and training for all new hires.
• Drive succession planning and talent development to ensure talent pipeline has a viable bench at all times.
• Coordinate investigations and employee relations inquiries as needed to ensure fair and consistent implementation of company policy.
• Lead performance review process in coordination with district and store level leadership.
• Provide guidance as brand ambassador to ensure all company policies support fair and consistent hiring practices, talent development and talent management.
• Partner with stakeholders to ensure HR initiatives align with and support overall company goals and objectives. SKYLINE ULTD United States Army Garrison at West Point, NY 2015- 2017 Human Resources Generalist, United States Military Academy
• Provided multi-unit support within a non-standard human resources role to support interrelated military personnel programs, operations and functions for all active duty service members.
• Ensured requirements for classified materials were properly followed in accordance with installation security standards.
• Applied in-depth knowledge of Department of Defense and Department of Army regulations, directives, precedents and procedures to ensure proper personnel management.
• Executed a variety of complex and sensitive actions pertaining to procurement and assignment of military personnel.
• Developed strategies for effective resolution of personnel readiness issues through collaboration with installation command and higher headquarters.
• Exercised thorough knowledge of personnel records, rules, regulations and precedents to independently identify correct application of role specific action in accordance with the organizational mission.
• Provided guidance, interpretation, training and briefings on current and proposed policies for assigned military programs to a variety of individuals, managers, and other civilian/military command personnel.
• Utilized data from various sources for use in preparing reports and statistical analysis in support of the total Army mission.
• Initiated and updated soldier DD93 (Record of Emergency Data), life insurance, officer and enlisted record briefs.
• Reviewed and verified service member records, including financial and personnel, to identify discrepancies that may affect promotion status and regulatory compliance.
Courtney Schmarge, SHRM-SCP
BUCKWILD TOWING Suffern, NY 2014- 2015
Human Resources Manager, Special Projects Coordinator
• Identified and utilized appropriate candidate cultivation techniques including, but not limited to, social media channels, job boards, community and university outreach, personal networking and internal referrals.
• Facilitated all aspects of new employee onboarding and training including towing certification as well as service provider
• courses for luxury vehicles (Maserati, Mercedes Benz, Porsche and Tesla).
• Raised efficiencies through the training of existing employees on all company led initiatives resulting in reduced turnover concerning
• to competency standards.
• Conducted employee investigations relating to labor relations and concerns pertaining to company code of ethics.
• Owned talent management process including employee recognition, coaching, feedback and corrective action.
• Led annual employee review process in conjunction with the Tow Manager.
• Maintained proper documentation and service records ensuring optimum performance of fleet vehicles.
• Minimized legal risk through driver training and certification.
• Composed and executed private property impound contracts and trained Impound Certified Drivers on procedural protocols pertaining to property specifications.
• Enhanced profitability through streamlining billing process for motor clubs (Geico, Allstate and Agero) as well as various dealers (Tesla, BMW, Mercedes Benz, etc.) and private accounts. TARGET CORPORATION West Nyack, NY 2011-2014
Human Resources Team Leader
• Partnered with business managers and generalists to source candidates and fill open positions.
• Collaborated with managers to review and screen resumes, conducted in person interview with candidates.
• Conducted phone screens and assessment interviews.
• Organized and executed orientation for newly hired team members.
• Implemented and supported diverse recruiting efforts decreasing overall staffing needs.
• Facilitated onboarding of newly hired team members including training resulting in consistently green training metrics each year in role.
• Owned the team trainer and development programs as well as execution of new program roll outs.
• Supported developmental pipeline by partnering with leaders to identify and support the training of future team leaders and other key positions reducing turnover and improving overall team morale.
• Reduced costs through budget management of controllable nonpayroll expenses Beat the expense goal for 2013 and 2014.
• Developed and led recognition programs, developed an inclusive and open door culture throughout the store.
• Minimized liability through an employee relations compliance culture to mitigate legal risk, up to and including adherence to applicable meal/rest break and minor scheduling guidelines.
• Led the talent management process, including recognition, coaching, and meaningful feedback, writing and delivering counseling and corrective actions as well as performance reviews. EVENTS UNLIMITED INC. Saugerties, NY 2009-2010
General Manager/Human Resources
• Redesigned recruitment strategies in conjunction with company owner to improve quality of talent on-boarded and minimizing turnover.
• Increased efficiency through training of all new and existing employees on all procedural protocols.
• Managed scheduling for four to ten employees.
• Eliminated unnecessary expenditures through maintenance of total company inventory.
• Improved company image through the development and maintenance of relationships with owner, clients and suppliers. Volunteer Experience
Town of Highlands Volunteer Ambulance Corps 2016- 2018 EMT, Second Lieutenant and Correspondence Secretary