§ Research Associate- Dr. Alexandra Kadl lab, University of Virginia, Feb 2015- Dec 2017. Dr. Kadl’s lab studies acute lung injury in sterile and infectious models. In her lab,
• I established the role of Apoptotic cell removal in bleomycin-induced lung injury.
• Contributed towards understanding inflammation and pathogenesis of lungs during Influenza A virus infection and development of therapeutics against the same.
• Participated in studying the role of Rac I in Type II Alveolar epithelial cells during lung development.
• Contributed towards studying lipolysis in lung injury and secure Internal Funding for the lab.
• Supervised 2 undergraduate student research.
§ Research Fellow- Dr. Steve Abcouwer lab, University of Michigan, Feb 2014- Dec 2014. Dr. Abcouwer research interest is studying mechanisms underlying development of diabetic retinopathy and developing therapeutics against it. In his lab,
• I screened and identified humanized CCL2 mice developed by the transgenic core.
• Developed screening assays and narrowed on potential therapeutic small molecule trap against a chemokine.
§ Visiting Research Associate- Dr. Susanne Mohr lab, Michigan State University, September 2010- Dec 2013. In her lab,
• I identified the role of IL10 in hyperglycemia-induced Müller cell dysfunction, contributing towards a R21 grant.
• Established the role of GAPDH in telomere protection in hyperglycemic condition.
• Developed potential therapeutic small molecule against hyperglycemia-induced Müller cell dysfunction.
• Developed undergrad research projects and supervised 6 undergraduate student research.
§ Research Associate- Dr. Radha Venkatesan lab, Madras Diabetes Research Foundation, India, February 2007- August 2009. In her lab,
• I studied Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms associated with diabetes in Asian Indian population.
• Established a lab for Functional Genomics and developed methods to identify functional SNPs.
• Supervised Summer research for Masters students.
• Served as an organizer for a workshop on Genomics of Type II diabetes. EDUCATION
§ Ph.D. Genetics, University of Madras (Chennai, India) - Nov 2000- Nov 2006. Dissertation: “Structure- Function Relationship and Therapeutic Potential of RNAs with Special Reference to Catalytic RNAs”.
§ M.Sc. in Special Zoology, University of Madras (Chennai, India) - 1998-2000. Master’s Thesis: “Isolation and Characterization of Plasmids from Vibrio Strains Isolated from Infected Shrimps”. TECHNICAL SKILLS
• Tissue culture • SiRNA transfection • Molecular cloning • PCR, RT-PCR • RFLP Genotyping • ELISA • Immunoprecipitation • Western blotting • Dot blotting • Flow cytometry using up to 13 colors • Immunohistochemistry • Quantitative Fluorescence In-situ Hybridization • Mouse work • Isolation of primary human retinal Müller cells from cadaveric donor eyes. TRANSFERABLE SKILLS
• Leading team and designing work flow • Supervising and Guiding undergraduate and graduate students • Organizing workshops on research methodologies • Lab management, maintaining inventory. ADDITIONAL SKILLS
§ Experience in teaching:
Concepts of Genetics I -One semester, Master’s level course at University of Madras, Chennai, India. PSL 828- Cellular and Integrative Physiology- one section at Michigan State University, MI, USA. Certificate in Scientific Teaching of Biology at Michigan State University, MI, USA.
§ Excellent working knowledge in MS Office, Flow Jo, Graph pad Prism. PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
1. M. Johnson, H. Prakash, P. Jayaguru, R. Raghunathan and R. Malathi (2012). Spectral Analysis of Naturally Occurring Methylxanthines (Theophylline, Theobromine and Caffeine) Binding with DNA. PLoS One. 7(12). 2. P. Jayaguru and S. Mohr (2011). Nuclear GAPDH: changing the fate of Müller cells in diabetes. J Ocul Biol Dis Infor. 4: 1-2, 34-41.
3. S. S. Rao, P. Jayaguru, and R. Malathi (2009). Susceptibilities of Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus to Aloe barbadensis. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2009 Nov-Dec;13(6):461-4. 4. S. S. Rao, P. Jayaguru, R. Malathi (2009). Antimicrobial properties of the stem bark of Saraca indica
(Caesalpiniaceae). Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 13(5):371-4. 5. P. Jayaguru and R. Malathi (2008). Probing RNA-Antibiotic Interactions: A FTIR study. Mol Biol Rep 35(1):51-7. 6. P. Jayaguru and R. Malathi (2008). Group I introns and GNRA tetraloops: Remnants of ‘the RNA world’? Mol Biol Rep 35(2):239-49.
7. P. Jayaguru and R. Malathi (2007). Group I intron renders differential susceptibility of Candida albicans to bleomycin. Mol Biol Rep 34:1, 11-17.
1. A Kadl, A Desmett, P Jayaguru and S Tundup. Role of Rac1 in Alveolar Epithelial Cells in Apoptotic Cell Removal During Lung Development. Lung Development and BPD. ATS 2018 San Diego. Poster. 2. A Kadl, P Jayaguru and S Tundup. Helminth Egg Antigens Protect Mice from Influenza-Induced Mortality by Potentiate IFNAR1 Dependent Anti-Viral Immunity. Lung Cytoprotection and Immunity During Infections. ATS 2018 San Diego. Poster.
3. P Jayaguru, S Tundup, A Desmett and A Kadl. Administration of apoptotic cells ameliorates Bleomycin-induced lung injury. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2017;195: A7067. ATS 2017. Poster. 4. S Tundup, P Jayaguru, A Desmett and A Kadl. Inhibition of Lipolysis In-Vivo Improves Disease Severity and Lung Inflammation in a Mouse Model of Pseudomonas Pneumonia. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2017;195: A7059. ATS 2017. Poster.
5. S Tundup, P Jayaguru, A Desmett and A Kadl. Modulation of Lung Inflammation Ameliorates Influenza-Induced Mortality, Morbidity, and Lung Injury. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2017;195: A2923. ATS 2017. Poster.
6. P Jayaguru, M Joaquin and S Mohr (2013). Interleukin-10, a Potent Counter Regulator of the Hyperglycemia-Induced Pro-Inflammatory Interleukin-1 Signaling in Müller Cells. ARVO Annual Meeting 2013, Seattle, WA. - Oral Paper Presentation.
7. DJ Feenstra, P Jayaguru, CA Dinarello and S Mohr (2012). Impact of interleukin- 1α on Hyperglycemia- Induced Inflammation and Cell Death in Müller cells. ARVO Annual Meeting 2013, Seattle, WA. Poster. 8. DJ Feenstra, P Jayaguru and S Mohr (2012). Hyperglycemia-Induced Auto inflammation in Retinal Glia Cells. SLB Annual meeting, Maui, HI. Poster.
9. P Jayaguru, SD Yellayi, A Jayagopal and S Mohr (2012). Repression of GAPDH-Mediated Telomere Protection in Müller Cells by Hyperglycemia. ARVO Annual Meeting 2012, Fort Lauderdale, FL. Poster. 10. SS Rao, P Jayaguru and R Malathi (2007). Down Regulation of Gyrase A Gene Expression and DNA Supercoiling in E. coli by Antisense Ribozymes. Poster presented at the 107th ASM Annual General Meeting, Canada. Poster. AWARDS
§ Lady Tata Memorial Junior Scholar (Research fellowship)- 2001-2003
§ Joint CSIR-UGC ‘Lecturership-NET’ award in Life Sciences (Govt. of India): A national qualifying exam for entering Ph.D. program and eligibility to teach at universities and colleges.
§ MSU postdoctoral Association 2013 Spring Travel Award- Competitive travel grant for presenting my research findings at ARVO Annual Meeting 2013.