Mechanical Engineering Technologist, 1992
Project Managers Strategies, 1998 Situational Leadership II, 2012 Managing Conflict, 1999 ISO 14001 Management Training, 2013 ISO 9001 General Training, QMI, 1998 The Supervisor and the Law, 2014 AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Custom Machinery Parts and Assemblies Test Rig Design Project Management Process Design
Test Systems Hydraulics, Pneumatics and Controls
Machine Shop Practices Automotive Assembly Systems Safeguarding of Machinery SolidWorks / AutoCAD / IronCAD MS Office Team Leadership
Servo motors and Controls Sales Applications
Concept / Process Engineering CAD Administration PDM / SAP Design for Assembly Design for Manufacture
SUMMARY OF EXPERIENCE
I am a seasoned manager with 25 years of experience in project management, machine design and machine construction for a variety of industries including custom machinery, predominantly for the automotive market in North America. I have directly managed mechanical engineers and have managed teams of 10+ tradespersons and skilled technicians. I am adept at prototyping, testing and assembly of mechanical components, mechanisms, equipment, and installations. I have a proven record of team leadership, supervision, management and technical liaison between corporate departments, consultants, and contractors, resulting in consistently managed timelines and budget. I possess excellent communication skills both written and verbal. I am fully conversant with MS Office and engineering based software. PROFESSIONAL RECORD
2015 / 2019 Litens Automotive Partnership. Advanced Line Development Manager. Managed in house build of assembly lines from concept to sign off. Daily supervision and organisation of designers, mechanics, machinists, electricians and programmers. Was responsible to maintain and achieve budget and timelines. Provided guidance and supervision to commissioning personnel. Provided training to lead production staff. OOSTERDAG,JIM
2012 / 2015 ULA-MATIC Lead Mechanical Designer / Project Manager. Involved in all aspects of project, research, concept design and commissioning for automated and semi automated assembly systems for the automotive industry. Responsible for engineering budget in addition to costs associated to process and development. Lead team of mechanical designers and interface and provide guidance to all departments as related to completion of projects with the goal of an on budget and on time deliveries. 2010 / 2012 AGFA Graphics Senior Mechanical Designer. Created concepts and designs for Grand Format Inkjet Industrial Printers. Took designs from concept through manufacturing, prototyping and production. Created and managed engineering changes. Communicate with all departments to ensure timely completion of projects. 2009 ULA-Matic Inc. Plant Manager, Project Manager / Engineer. Manage day to day activities of 15 skilled trades and shop personnel. Conduct short term and long term planning for manpower and project reviews. Consult with owner on future business and project forecasting. Approval of project spending and budgets. Responsible for outsource manufacturing and subcontractors.
2006 / 2009 ROHWEDDER AUTOMATED SYSTEMS INC.,Lead Mechanical Designer, Project Manager, Engineering Department, involved in all aspects of project, research, concept design and commissioning for automated and semi-automated assembly systems for the automotive industry. Responsible for engineering budget in addition to all costs associated to process and development.
2004 / 2006 LOGIC MOTION., Mechanical Engineering Supervisor, Project Manager, Engineering Department, Supervised daily activities of 9 designers and involved in all aspects of project, research, concept design and commissioning for automated and semi-automated assembly systems for the automotive and electronics industry. Responsible for engineering budget in addition to all costs associated to process and development. 2003 / 2004 WARDROP ENGINEERING INC., Technical Specialist and Project Manager, Manufacturing Division, Product and Machine Design, responsible for the design, development and project management of machine automation, medical equipment and special purpose equipment. 1999 / 2003 ROHWEDDER AUTOMATED SYSTEMS INC., Mechanical Designer, Project Manager, Engineering Department, involved in all aspects of project, research, concept design and commissioning for automated and semi-automated assembly systems for the automotive industry. Responsible for engineering budget in addition to all costs associated to process and development.
KEY PROJECT INVOLVEMENT
● Managed projects from concept to commission.
● Provided process concepts and developed solutions for other designers.
● Designed and managed projects in value from $500,000 to $3,000,000.
● Liaise with clients, suppliers and consultants, provided progress reports.
● Provided project analysis and evaluation at completion of projects.
● Provided support to all team members during all phases of design, construction and commissioning.
● Improved team performance and achievements by creating atmosphere of trust and harmony among the team members.
● Provided budgets and timelines for each project.
● Responsible for the planning and scheduling of all work as well as the work of other designers.
● Managed mechanical aspect of projects while working on mechanical design. Included planning tasks
(including timelines) and workload (for design, manufacturing, assembly, and testing), managing OOSTERDAG,JIM
engineering project documentation according to the ISO 9000 requirements, and monitoring activities to ensure completion of projects on time and within budget.
● Developed concepts and designs for fully automated pallet loader/unload to remove pallets from an automated assembly line and replace them with pallets of a different type. A vertical design was implemented to reduce consumption of floor space.
● Supervised design of High Pressure fuel pump assembly systems. One Lean Manufacturing System and one utilizing index tables, servo presses and laser marking. Traveled to Germany to oversee test and debug of machine.
● Managed the design of seat recliner eight station welding dial table utilizing Motoman robots and Lincoln welding equipment, design included all guarding, fixtures, tooling and safety equipment.
● Managed and designed a six station index table to assemble seat recliners, operations include spring winding and loading, functional check with servo motors, pin stamping and unloading.
● Designed gearotor inspection and sorting system with SCARA robots, vision system and LVDT measuring components.
● Supervised the design of a three station index table to unload and laser etch transmission pumps.
● Managed the design, manufacture, and assembly of water pump assembly and testing line.
● Designed various mechanical parts and assemblies for a fully automated 16 mm tube bending machine utilizing vision system, robot and leak testing as means of inspection and sorting.
● Developed and designed a flexible five axis CNC bending machine using servo motors and ball screws to bend various configurations of EGR tubes.
● Designed various mechanisms, machines and parts for door latch testing equipment. During design process, performed tests to prove performance of the tools and mechanisms. Acquired excellent experience in hands-on environment.
● Designed and supervised assembly of window regulator test and lifecycle equipment.
● Specified and purchased components required for machine build.
● Designed components and assemblies adhering to safety and ergonomic guidelines of customers and local governing bodies.
● Designed assembly line to produce 200,000 live rounds of .223 ammunition including inserting gunpowder and installing cap, entire line utilised intrinsically safe components to eliminate spark hazards. Portion of line was installed in an explosion proof room.
● Compiled reports on analysis, design, calculations, tests, and other engineering activities for future reference.
● Managed and designed assembly system to produce automotive brake pedal modules including testing with vision system and marking rejecting of parts.
● Managed, developed, designed and supervised the work of several designers to produce a system to flat stake, orbital rivet, functional test and automatically unload a seat latch mechanism with a 12 second cycle time.
● As project designer, provided concepts and calculations to design and manufacture a semi-automated assembly system to sort and place gears in pump cavity of a transmission oil pump for GM heavy duty trucks five speed automatic transmission.
● Developed broad expertise and comprehensive knowledge in LVDT’s, linear potentiometers, load cells, torque cells and all types of vision systems and other types of inspection systems for many different types of automated systems.
● Managed design of semi-automated and fully automated sunroof assembly line. OOSTERDAG,JIM