William A. Buckles, CPA
CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER VICE PRESIDENT OF FINANCE Accomplished Financial Executive with a demonstrated record in managing the accounting and finance functions of successful businesses. Successfully guided company through a merger of an ancillary division. Demonstrated ability to assemble, lead, and develop high performing cross-functional teams. Highly skilled in financial reporting/planning/forecasting, and value-added business analysis. Strategic Planning • Financial Statement Preparation • Budgeting Processes • Working Capital Management • Key Performance Indicator Development • Planning and Forecasting • Training & Team Development
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE & SELECTED ACHIEVEMENTS
Indiana Hand to Shoulder Center, Indianapolis, IN 2013 – 2018 Chief Operating Officer
The Indiana Hand to Shoulder Center is the largest private physician group practice in Indiana and the Midwest specializing in the treatment of orthopedic care of the hand and upper extremity. The group has 12 staff physicians and trains a class of 7 Fellows annually. The practice also employs 20 registered hand therapists to support the physicians. The practice serves 15,000 new patients and performs 6,000 surgical procedures annually.
Promoted to Chief Operating Officer in 2013.
• Negotiated financial terms of a merger of the groups Ambulatory Surgery Center with Hospital System.
• Responsible for the management of 6 satellite office locations in central Indiana.
• Had direct reporting line responsibility for 15 managers and supervisors and over 100 full time equivalent employees. Direct supervision of the Human Resources function as well as supervision of an outsourced IT consulting group.
• Managed all employee benefit programs, self-insured health benefits program and self-directed 401(k) Plan. Merged plan into larger consortium group to control claims fluctuation risk and to eliminate any further employees exposed to laser carve out risk.
• Refinanced real estate mortgage. Secured a $5 million mortgage with no owner’s personal guarantees.
• Directed marketing plan initiatives.
• Negotiated a Personal Services Agreement for contracted physician services for two hospital systems.
• Responsible for group compliance reporting including HIPAA and overall compliance plan. Responsible for all insurance policy negotiations to include property, malpractice, liability umbrella, Directors and Officer, Cyber and Employee Acts.
Indiana Hand to Shoulder Center, Indianapolis, IN 1999 – 2013 Chief Financial Officer
Delivered financial leadership for key decision-making and headed forecasting, planning, and reporting process. Led accounting operations including closing process, audits, receivables, payables, and payroll. CFO responsibilities:
• Enhanced quality of business outlook by re-building the financial planning process encompassing annual budgets, quarterly forecasts, and long-range plan. Automated budget templates to assist managers in completing the budgeting function.
• Increased resource allocation effectiveness by designing business segment financial reports. William A. Buckles, CPA Page 2
• Upon employment it was necessary to balance the general ledger and recreate financial statements for over 1 year in arrears. The company was in significant debt and had cashflow issues. Turned around the financial reporting system within 2 months and worked to eliminate fixed debt within two years. The group has operated with relatively no fixed debt for the past 15 years. Cashflow is predictable and owners are paid to the compensation plan.
• Restructured the physician compensation plan to reflect a more equitable and systematic means of allocations of revenues and expense. Created allocation metrics to reward production rather than arbitrary methods employed formerly. Instituted a minimum production metric for physicians to remain eligible for share ownership. Also instituted a retirement strategy for the owner physicians to exit the group without triggering the minimum threshold production limits.
• Worked through the settlement of a $750k property insurance claim when the group experienced a flood in its main facility. Maintained normal business operations while remediating the property damage. Negotiated betterments in settlement with insuring agent.
• Responsible for the management of a 41,000 square foot office building owned by the groups real estate holding company. Refinanced mortgage on 2 occasions with no personal guarantees from owners. Negotiated all outside locations leases.
• Implemented new billing and collection policies.
• Negotiated managed care insurance reimbursement rates.
• Implemented Risk Management programs.
Achilles Podiatry, Carmel, IN 1997 – 1999
Oversaw operations and financial reporting functions for a 17-location podiatric surgical group.
• Revised accounting function and reporting systems.
• Implemented physician compensation plan.
• Developed budget process.
Carpenter Industries, LLC, Richmond, IN 1996-1997
Chief Financial Officer
Oversaw the accounting and financial reporting functions for a school bus body manufacturer.
• Instrumental in securing $30 mil in private equity investment. Westview Hospital, Indianapolis, IN 1988-1996
Chief Financial Officer
• Implemented rate increases and maintained budgeting programs.
• Responsible for independent financial audit and cost report preparation. Washington County Memorial Hospital Salem, IN 1986-1988 Treasurer
• Responsible for accounting and collections functions.
• Responsible for independent financial audit and cost report preparation.
• Implemented rate increases and maintained budgeting programs. Blue & Co. CPA’s Seymour, IN 1982-1986
• Audit Supervisor
• Performed independent audit engagements.
• Recruited and trained staff accountants.
EDUCATION & CREDENTIALS
Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting
Ball State University, Muncie, IN
Certified Public Accountant (CPA)