Email: email@example.com Phone: +1-917-***-**** SM: linkedin.com/in/ajcalabr
Commercially minded and highly accomplished international attorney with over 14 years of experience. Client focused, dedicated and results-orientated with valuable leadership and negotiation skills. Proven track record in leading complex commercial and finance transactions, advising senior executives on legal and regulatory risks, overseeing team members and external advisors, controlling costs, as well as advancing strategic, operational and business objectives.
Now looking for a senior legal counsel role where I can utilize expertise in international deal negotiations to help lead the development of a company’s growth through acquisitions, financings, reorganizations as well as contribute and execute on its short and long term strategic goals. Practiced law at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Hogan Lovells, HSBC, Nomura and ANZ Bank. Clients include Barclays, Citibank, Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner, Royal Bank of Scotland, Lloyds Bank, Standard Chartered Bank, Credit Suisse and various technology start-ups.
• Team Leadership, Employee Management
• Legal Documentation, Negotiation &
Execution of Commercial and Finance
• Commercial Strategy and Internal
• Finance/Banking Law
• Regulatory, Risk & Compliance
• Transaction & Project Management
• Client Relationship and Business
• Budget Administration, Cost Containment
• Management of External Counsel
• Drafting Internal Policies and Procedures
• Tech Start-up Advisory
WOLFSTAR VENTURES LIMITED, London, UK
Owner/Director, October 2012 – Present
• Formed consultancy to provide:
- legal advice to financial institutions and law firms relating to commercial and finance transactions as well as regulation and compliance; and
- legal and commercial strategy advice to start-up businesses in the technology sector.
• Key experience includes advising HSBC, Nomura and Royal Bank of Scotland (see below): HSBC BANK PLC, London, UK
Senior Legal Consultant, December 2015 – November 2017
• Provided advice, guidance and support to HSBC’s Corporate Banking Division in order to manage the group’s exposure to legal risk.
• Provided legal transactional support to HSBC’s Corporate Origination, European Corporate Bank and Leverage Finance teams in relation to finance transactions.
• Advised executive management teams and other key stakeholders in relation to group-wide material UK, EU and US regulatory projects, including Brexit mitigation and ring fence bank contingency planning as well as ensuring compliance under the Bank Recovery and Resolution Directive.
• Managed external legal counsel to ensure advice was suitable, timely and provided within budget.
• Member on senior group-wide working groups by providing regular advice and educational sessions on key legal and regulatory developments.
• Drafting group-wide policies, procedures and guidance notes. NOMURA INTERNATIONAL PLC, London, UK
Regulatory Consultant / Executive Director, January 2014 – July 2014
• Advised and supported businesses:
- responsible for the operation of the firm’s internal systems and controls relating to client money, custody and transaction reporting; and
- on key regulatory and compliance developments and requirements impacting the EMEA business (including EMIR, CASS Money Rules and AIFMD).
• Acted as a key interface with EMEA regulators and exchanges.
• Produced key management information, performance and risk metrics to keep senior management and board members informed of key compliance issues and risks.
• Coordinated the development, maintenance and communication of EMEA compliance policies and procedures.
• Member on key working groups providing advice on regulatory developments.
• Dealt with general compliance queries and breaches of policies and procedures. ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND, London, UK
Legal Consultant (Wealth Management), October 2012 to March 2013
• Advised on intra-group transfers of bank assets, cross-border financing transactions, legal and regulatory developments and new business initiatives impacting the Group. HOGAN LOVELLS INTERNATIONAL LLP, London, UK
Lawyer, Banking & Finance Group, May 2010 to October 2012
• Advised lenders on a variety of international financings, including, syndicated and restructuring lending transactions. Transactions included advising:
- Bank of Scotland and Lloyds Bank on banking aspects involving the transfer of certain business assets and liabilities from BoS to Lloyds in accordance with a Part VII UK Scheme of Arrangement;
- Citibank on their £600M letters of credit issuance facility arrangements with an international re- insurance company;
- Standard Chartered Bank on various multi-million debt financings relating to the acquisition of certain off shore companies by a large off shore private equity fund; and
- Royal Bank of Scotland in relation to redrafting debt and security documentation for their English and Scottish corporate lending operations.
FRESHFIELDS BRUCKHAUS DERINGER LLP, London, UK
Lawyer, Banking Group, December 2006 – November 2009
• Advised corporates and lenders on a broad range of complex domestic and international banking and commercial transactions, including advising syndicated real estate, acquisition and restructuring financings as well as other commercial contracts. Transactions included advising:
- a leading UK retirement home builder on a £800M debt for equity restructuring;
- an equity investor in respect of the development of the Shard of Glass project;
- a leading UK independent brewery on a £500M senior debt facility and its acquisition of a major pub portfolio; and
- Hewlett Packard on its merchant credit and debit card services agreement for its EMEA entities. AUSTRALIA & NEW ZEALAND BANKING GROUP, Melbourne, Australia Articled Clerk (Training Contract)/Lawyer, March 2004 – October 2006
• Provided legal advice and support to ANZ’s corporate banking and litigation groups.
Monash University (Faculty of Law), Melbourne, Australia Bachelor of Laws, 2001 – 2003
Scholarship - Monash Achievement Award
Graduation – April 2004
Deakin University (Faculty of Business and Law), Melbourne, Australia Bachelor of Commerce - majoring in economics, finance and commercial law, 1998 – 2000 Graduation – April 2001
• Legal Qualifications & Admissions
- Solicitor and barrister of Supreme Court of Victoria, Australia (Admitted 2005 - Practitioner No: P0023834)
- Solicitor of High Court of Australia
- Member of the Law Institute of Victoria, Australia UK
- Solicitor of Supreme Court of England & Wales (Admitted 2011 - SRA No: 547712)
- Member of the Law Society of England & Wales.
• Community Involvement
- NYC Housing Court– Pro Bono Attorney currently advising on landlord-tenant disputes.
- NYS Courts Office for Justice Initiatives Access to Justice Pro Bono Award for outstanding work and dedicated service (2018).
• Work Permits: USA, EU, UK, & Australia.
• References - Available upon request.