David C. Spreadbury
North Richland Hills, TX 76182-6133
Analytical and detail-oriented Technical Writer, having experience in rendering technical details into usable documentation, strong background in writing with excellent editing and proofreading skills, exceptional written communication skills; can work independently or in a team environment.
APCON, Inc., Plano, TX, July 2015 – August 2018
Responsible for researching and writing user manuals, hardware and software installation guides, technical reference manuals, and release notes for APCONs industry leading suite of network monitoring hardware and software solutions. Located in Plano, TX, working with SMEs and technical staff in Plano, TX. and Wilsonville, OR.
• Create documentation for new products, as well as maintaining legacy product documentation.
• Draft procedures from engineering documentation and hands-on use of hardware and software.
• Utilize Unstructured FrameMaker versions 2015 and 2017 in developing and maintaining customer facing documentation.
• Use SnagIt 12 to capture and edit, as necessary, screens from software applications.
• Use Adobe Acrobat Professional XI for final delivery of documentation.
• Coordinate review of documentation through Collaborator and Acrobat Shared Reviews.
• Familiar with Subversion (SVN) Content Management System (CMS).
RPC/CUDD Energy Services, The Woodlands, TX, August 2014 – April 2015
Contract-to-Hire Technical Writer
Documented Oil and Gas hydraulic fracking/horizontal drilling and related software applications. Develop tutorial
videos of oil well monitoring applications.
• Sole writer, working remotely with program management in The Woodlands, TX and software developers in Texas and North Carolina documenting Oil/Gas Well Fracturing Stimulation applications.
• Created Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) help for oil/gas web-based application.
• Assisted internal departments in developing documentation utilizing Structured Adobe FrameMaker and Microsoft Word.
• Utilized Microsoft Team Explorer for Visual Studio 2013 as Content Management System (CMS) manage FrameMaker and Microsoft Word content.
• Maintained FrameMaker and Microsoft Word templates.
• Developed tutorial videos utilizing TechSmith Camtasia and SnagIt.
Tellabs, Inc., Dallas, TX, May 2009 – January 2014
Contract Technical Writer
Documented hardware and software installation, operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting procedures supporting Tellabs Digital Loop Carrier (DLC), Optical LAN (OLAN), and Broadband solutions.
• Sole writer, worked with engineering and management groups in Dallas, TX, Petaluma, CA, and Shanghai, China, documenting two product lines in Access division of Tellabs, Inc.
• Created, edited, and revised hardware and software documentation for new products, as well as legacy products from engineering documentation, project resource documents, communication with hardware, software, and test engineers, and hands-on use of hardware and software.
• Created online help using FrameMaker 7.2 source files for incorporation into Element Management Systems.
Siemens Energy and Automation, Arlington, TX, Feb 2009 – May 2009
Contract Technical Writer
• Supported development of documentation for mail sorting equipment used by the U.S. Postal Service.
• Converted existing FrameMaker source files to Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) XML format.
• Edited converted documents using XMetal Enterprise.
• Developed user guide for graphical user interface (GUI) documentation for mail sorting system.
Tellabs, Inc., Dallas, TX February 1996 – December 2008
Senior Technical Writer
Documented hardware and software installation, operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting procedures supporting Tellabs Access Digital Loop Carrier (DLC), Multi-Service Access Platform (MSAP), and Broadband solutions.
• Created new and edited legacy installation, operation, and maintenance documentation for telecommunication hardware and software.
• Developed single-source workflow by creating PDF, HTML, and Online Help from FrameMaker source files.
• Worked with subject matter experts to compile hardware and software product information. Ensured document procedural accuracy on hardware and use of software systems.
• Collaborated with internal teams and customer technicians to define customer requirements.
• Mentored writing team members on use of changed FrameMaker templates.
• Managed Adobe Structured and Unstructured FrameMaker document templates and element definition document (EDD).
• Designed customer documentation CD-ROMs.
• Introduction to XML, Innodata Isogen, Dallas, TX, August 2004
• XSLT/XSLT Workshop, Innodata Isogen, Dallas, TX, August 2004
• Adobe FrameMaker 7: Defining Structure: EDDs and Other Tools, Benchmark Publications Group, Inc., Arlington, TX, January 2003
• Information Mapping: Developing Procedures, Policies & Documentation, Marconi Communications, Irving, TX, May 2001
Adobe FrameMaker, Structured and Unstructured versions 4 through 2017, WordPerfect, Adobe Acrobat Professional, Adobe Creator Suite 6, Microsoft Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint), SnagIt, Camtasia, HTML, CSS.
Nine plus years service with Honorable Discharge from U.S. Navy. Achieved Radioman 2nd Class (E-5). Received Good Conduct Award for each four years of service. Received Vietnam Service Medal for time served during Vietnam Conflict. Functioned as watch supervisor while stationed aboard ship.