MICHAEL VAN HARRISON
Office Address: **** Bluebonnet Blvd. Suite F
Baton Rouge, La 70810
I am a highly driven trial attorney seeking a full-time position where I can use lend my knowledge to help an organization improve profitability or reach projected goals. I desire to practice as a trial attorney in either the fields of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Family Law or Successions' Law. Furthermore, when it comes to work, I like to be done with my assignments as soon as possible. I am proficient in using Microsoft Office and any form of legal research material from the internet to the books. I am self-motivated, driven, and team oriented.
JURIS DOCTORATE MAY 2017 SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY LAW CENTER
BACHELOR IN CRIMINAL JUSTICE MAY 2014 SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA UNIVERSITY
Major: Criminal Justice
Minor: Psychology and Sociology
HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA MAY 2009 CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL
Since May of 2018, I have been managing my own law firm.
PI KAPPA ALPHA [PUBLIC RELATIONS CHAIR FOR 2 YEARS]
MENTOR AT THE LAW CENTER TO SIX INCOMING STUDENTS (2016-2018)
MANAGING ATTORNEY MICHAEL HARRISON ATTORNEY–AT-LAW, LLC MAY 2018 TO PRESENT
• Represent clients in criminal and civil litigation, and other legal proceedings, draft various legal documents, and manage or advise clients on legal transactions.
• Advise clients concerning business transactions, claim liability, advisability of prosecuting or defending lawsuits, or legal rights and obligations.
• Interpret laws, rulings and regulations for individuals and businesses.
• Negotiate settlements of disputes.
LEGAL ASSISTANT KING LAW FIRM AUGUST 2017- MAY 2018
• Prepared legal drafts by assembling and organizing information for legal forms and documents, including complaints, discovery requests, responses, and other pleadings.
• Researched various laws, statutes, constitution, regulations, court opinions, including precedents and reasoning, and trends using standard print texts and computers; and prepared legal memoranda.
• Assembled case materials by collecting, organizing, and summarizing information, documents, reports, and evidence.
• Prepared trial briefs, exhibits, subpoenas, evidence, and motions.
• Maintained calendar by entering and updating requirements, court dates, and meetings.
LAW CLERK LOUISIANA DEPT. OF INSURANCE: LEGAL DIVISION FALL 2015- APRIL 2017
• Attended meetings, retrieved information and documents for legal staff, handled communications for the office, contacted various local and state agencies to gather information, record all interactions and prepare checklists.
• Managed paper and electronic file organization, scanning and copying files, indexing, coding and labeling tasks. Coordinated with the records department when gathering, documenting and storing client information.
• Completed research for legal staff and then prepared documents, draft correspondence, summarize records and findings and write up briefs, petitions and other legal documents.
• Performed duties as assigned by Executive Counsel for Department of Insurance.
EXECUTIVE COUNSEL FOR THE DEPARTMENT OF INSURANCE
PROFESSOR AT SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY LAW CENTER
CHIEF U.S. PROBATION OFFICER FOR THE MIDDLE DISTRICT OF LOUISIANA
OTHA CURTIS NELSON JR.
DEPUTY JUDICIAL ADMINISTRATOR- LOUISIANA SUPREME COURT