Thomas F. Callaghan, MS, CUXP
Smithtown, NY *****
Passionate & empathetic Certified User Experience Professional with extensive experience integrating Human Factors, user- centered design, design thinking, Agile, Lean UX, and best practices into existing development ecosystems while growing programs and leading multi-disciplinary teams to business success. Managed & delivered A/B testing, accessibility reviews, analytics, branding, budget reports, card sorts, content matrices, databases, ecosystem diagrams, contextual inquiries, flow diagrams, focus groups, functional specifications, heuristic reviews, industrial design, information architecture, interface standards, insights, metadata tagging, mentorships, mockups, opportunity maps, personas, project databases, project plans, prototypes, requests for proposals, requirements, roadmaps, sitemaps, surveys, task analyses, taxonomies, templates, training, tree tests, usability tests, use cases, user profiles, user journeys, user scenarios, walkthroughs, wire frames, workflows, & workshops. PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
GENERAL DYNAMICS INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (formerly CSRA), remote from Smithtown, NY 2017 - 2018 Future-focused information technology and professional services company serving the federal government Senior Human Factors Engineer
Provide Human Factors Engineering (HFE) and user experience design and research services to the Veteran’s Administration
(VA) for patient, staff, and clinician systems.
• Lead services for VA scheduling applications, including chat bots in healthcare whitepaper, and a scheduling tool inventory.
• Create personas, scenarios, user stories, journey maps, research plans, and screen mock ups.
• Enhance the infrastructure of the HFE practice, including new employee onboarding and new research approaches.
• Conduct ethnographic research, focus groups, interviews, and walkthroughs to document and confirm requirements.
• Mine, collect, distill, share, and iterate a list of data collection template issues and recommendations across 5 years of studies, coding them into themes and a cohesive road map with normalized ratings and visual direction. ANTHEM, Melville, NY 2016 - 2017
American for-profit health insurance company (prior to 2014 known as WellPoint, Inc.) Senior User Experience Research Manager
Leverage user-centered design expertise to drive best-in-class cross-platform experiences for enterprise digital solutions.
• Worked as an integral member of the digital product management, design, and development teams to understand and realize features, content, business & design/experience goals within an agile/waterfall environment.
• Lead cross-functional teams from a product and design perspective through clear experience strategy and rationale.
• Recommend and conduct surveys, moderated & unmoderated usability testing, card sorts, tree testing, intercept studies, focus groups, A/B testing, analytics & research data mining, focus groups, and participatory design sessions.
• Coached junior and new team members from onboarding through career development and advancement.
• Built and managed relationships with and utilize skills of vendor, contract, and other internal UX/marketing resources. AMERICAN EXPRESS, New York, NY 2015 - 2016
American multinational financial services corporation Senior Manager, User Experience Research and Design Ensure a world-class digital user experience for company employees.
• Provided UX services to internal development and product manager clients.
• Led the employee self-service portal and mobile UX efforts.
• Distilled and refined the overall UX research program, including process, tools, and templates. MICROSOFT (contract for Banking and Office Resources), New York, NY 2015 Multinational corporation that develops, licenses, supports and sells software, electronics, computers, and services User Experience and Business Analysis Consultant
Provide user experience, business analysis, project management, and quality assurance services.
• Designed and tested a desktop, tablet, and phone public safety/law enforcement information system. BANK OF NEW YORK MELLON, New York, NY & Jersey City, NJ 2013 – 2014 Global investments company providing informed investment management and investment services in more than 100 markets Vice President, User Experience
Led enterprise user experience research and design efforts for bank technology platform.
• Planned, managed, executed, and socialized cross-business enterprise client outreach and persona effort.
• Established relationships, processes, deliverables, and services for international UX community of excellence.
• Broke down silos by negotiating foundational services and identifying unique needs of 11 distinct businesses. SAPIENT GLOBAL MARKETS, New York, NY 2013
Provider of technology and business consulting services for the capital and commodity markets Manager, Information Architecture
Marketed and provided user experience consulting efforts for global clients.
• Created personas, ecosystem diagrams, competitive overview, & opportunity maps for financial web portals.
• Documented & revised titles, competencies, and career paths for user experience visualization department.
• Contributed sketches, wire frames, research, and other creative artifacts for winning client sales pitches. WOLTERS KLUWER, Babylon, NY 2010 – 2013
Publisher and provider of research tools for legal, health, tax, and business compliance professionals Senior User Experience Architect
Integrated user experience principles and methods into the development of products on the Global Atlas platform.
• Grew cross-company UX community from inception to over 100 members with presentations, surveys, and blogs.
• Selected, used, and administered UX tools for surveys, prototypes, knowledge management, and testing.
• Delivered wire frames, workflow diagrams, web analytics, prototypes, heuristic reviews, and usability tests & test reports for desktop & mobile applications within agile, waterfall, and hybrid projects. BURRELLESLUCE, INC. New York, NY 2009 – 2010
120-year old company that maximizes media relations results through planning, monitoring, and measurement services User Experience Lead
Ensured superior client experience and usability for the BurrellesLuce 2.0 web portal.
• Wrote first documentation of portal requirements & functionality and iterated the design for each release.
• Established wire frame & specification process, tools, and format for portal development.
• Integrated user-centered design with agile development process, developing custom UX deliverables. PUBLISHER’S CLEARING HOUSE (contract), Port Washington, NY 2009 Multi-channel direct marketing company that offers discounts to consumers with the chance to enter and win sweepstakes Information Architect
Provided information architecture and user experience services for online marketing and sweepstakes.
• Created multiple versions of annotated wireframes for entire sweepstakes website. CA, INC. (formerly COMPUTER ASSOCIATES), Islandia, NY 2004 – 2009 Multinational software corporation that develops information technology management software Director, UCD Architect and Business Solutions Architect Established information architecture, business analysis, and usability services for CA’s customer & employee applications.
• Researched & established branding, information architecture, governance, interface standards, page templates, and UCD process for corporate knowledge management effort, including enterprise search.
• Redesigned and conducted heuristic reviews of enterprise, business unit, project, and community sites.
• Engineered agile process while creating interfaces for e commerce, technical support, and services systems.
• Spearheaded the first usability tests (remote and lab) ever on the CA Internet site, improving independent site ranking (SiteIQ) to number one in site usability and navigation, and from number twelve to four overall.
• Decreased costs over $300,000 per year by purchasing & administering a self-serve online survey system. OTHER EMPLOYERS: AIG, IBM, NEW YORK LIFE, NCR, LOCKHEED/NASA, and VIRGINIA TECH EDUCATION
• MS, Industrial Engineering and Operations Research (Human Factors Engineering), Virginia Tech
• BS, Psychology (Industrial/Organizational Psychology), Virginia Tech CERTIFICATION
• Certified User Experience Professional (CUXP), #759, Board of Certification in Professional Ergonomics (BCPE) AFFILIATIONS
• User Experience Professionals Association (UXPA) Thomas F. Callaghan Smithtown, NY 631-***-**** firstname.lastname@example.org