Former Japanese government official with 19 years of service (including diplomatic mission to HK) and 5 years’ experience in private sector (Itochu Corporation). Bilingual (Japanese, English) legal professional with expertise in establishing businesses in Japan.
Florida Coastal School of Law, FL, USA 2012 – 2013
LLM (Master of Laws)
San Francisco State University, CA, USA 2004 – 2007
M.A. in Japanese (Teaching of Japanese as a Foreign/Second Language)
Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan 2001 – 2002
M. A., in Law (Torts, with emphasis on Product Liability of food industry in Japan)
Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan 1975 – 1979
B. A., in Law (Anglo-American Law)
Freelance legal expert (Covington & Burling, Shearman & Sterling, etc) 2011 – present
• Carried out 10 government investigation projects in anti-trust, safety regulation, and FCPA (foreign corruption) cases involving Japanese manufacturing, finance, and pharmaceutical industries. In addition, recently carried out English PII projects.
• Conducted legal analysis in major Japanese auto makers' safety recall cases by reviewing 10000+ internal documents (financial information, internal communication, etc) and allocating 2000+ hours studying US auto safety regulations, automobile recall protocol, etc.
• Fully unveiled the unlawful actions taken by a major US pharmaceutical company to receive favorable treatment by the Japanese regulatory agency for new drug approval. Spent 1500+ hours studying the new drug approval process in Japan by web research and internal document review.
• Revealed the actions taken by and relationships among major financial corporations (including Japanese banks), over worldwide interest rate and foreign exchange fraud. Spent 1000+ hours analyzing various documents.
(NOTABLE LONG TERM ASSIGNMENTS)
Covington & Burling representing Alexion Pharmaceuticals, on FCPA case
Aug 2016 - Apr 2017
Shearman & Sterling representing JTEKT, on anti-trust matter of auto parts
Dec 2015 – Aug 2016, Mar 2012-Jul 2012
Representing Honda Motor Co., Ltd., on airbags safety regulation
Nov 2014 - Dec 2015
Sullivan & Cromwell representing Barclays, on anti-trust matter in finance industry
Jan 2014 - May 2014, Jul 2013 - Oct 2013
Shearman & Sterling representing Sumitomo Rubber Industry, on anti-trust matter of auto parts
Mar 2013 - Jul 2013
Representing Toyota Motor Co., Ltd., on safety regulation matter investigated by NHTSA
Aug 2011 - Jan 2012
Skadden &Arps representing Advantest, on M&A anti-trust case
Mar 2011 - May 2011
KUMAMOTO PREFECTURE GOVERNMENT, KUMAMOTO, JAPAN 1985 - 2004
Regional government in western Japan
Government representative / Visiting Fellow at Stanford University (2002-04)
• Established Japanese regional government’s first representative office in Silicon Valley (Stanford University). Engaged in investment promotion activities and offered practical advice on various business issues (e.g. employee relationships, recruitment, supply chain management, etc.) to US businesses established in Japan.
• Completed a report on Silicon Valley-based companies with physical presence in Japan, focusing on benefits and challenges of doing business in Japan at micro/operational level. Report based on interviews conducted with Intel, Teradyne, Wafermasters, Kinetics Group, KLA-Tencor, etc.
General manager, Office of Investment Promotion (1998-2002)
• Promoted business investments (establishment of new manufacturing facilities) in Kumamoto by providing region’s key insights and offering end-to-end support for businesses to complete investments. Convinced two major Japanese companies to establish manufacturing facilities (investment worth USD 300 M).
• Secured Sony’s decision to establish a new manufacturing facility for imaging device business in Kumamoto by presenting to Sony’s senior management about local regulations, tax incentives, utility, etc. Ensured the completion of the construction by serving as link between Sony and regulators, local council, and utilities company.
• Conducted promotion activities for business investments by Daikin, Sharp, Nippon Pillar, etc.
Consul, Consulate General of Japan in Hong Kong (1995-98) –secondment
• In charge of local economy focusing on tourism and labor
Manager, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan (1993-95) -secondment
• Humanitarian aid for refugees, Public relations
Manager, Office of regional development (1985-93)
• Planned and promoted regional economy by assisting municipals and local industries
ITOCHU CORPORATION, TOKYO, JAPAN 1979 - 1984
Third largest trading company and conglomerate in Japan. Turnover: $46.5 B; 110,000+ employees
• Certification pending for Gyosei-Shosi in Japan (“Administrative Scrivener”; similar to notary public)
• Expert in Japanese-English bilingual education (assistant director for 3+ years at a Japanese-language school in NY area)
• Brown belt in Judo