Burlingame, CA 94010
Dedicated and award-winning professional with 20+ years in management of large care facilities. Organized, adept at providing leadership and direction for staff and residents. Energetic and flexible, proficient at modeling a positive and caring atmosphere among skilled nursing staff. Superior customer service, constantly improving programming and processes to benefit residents. Core Competencies
● Facility Management ● Staff Leadership
● Organizational Systems ● State and Federal Compliance
● Quality of Life Care ● Budget & Payroll Oversight
● Resident Census ● Administration and Operations
● Community Relations ● MS Office Suite
Pacifica Senior Living Mission Villa, Daly City, CA Executive Director, January 2014- January 2018
Oversee daily operation across all administrative functions. Communicate effectively and compassionately with residents and family regarding care and programming. Assure residents' physical, social, spiritual, and nutritional needs are met by nursing staff and employees. Hire, train and evaluate staff; Provide continuing education opportunities. Utilize and adhere to policies and protocols to protect residents, families, employees, and visitors.
● Increased residential happiness, retaining 100% occupancy for 2 years and establishing a waitlist.
● Oversaw $50K building renovations, resulting in new eating areas and uplifted décor.
● Established incentive program for employees, increasing employee retention by 90%. Oak Creek, Castro Valley, CA
Executive Director, January 2011 – January 2014
Demonstrated knowledge, judgement, expertise and managerial skills to ensure smooth functioning of facility on a daily basis. Fostered quality residential care, providing assessments and care plans. Addressed and resolved all grievances, approaching them constructively and considerately. Supervised, trained, and counseled staff in order to maintain team approach. Reviewed and approved payroll, billing and budgeting.
Karen Nickolai Page 2
● Instituted changes in standards and procedures to minimize fall incidents by residents, considerably decreasing collapses.
Sunrise Assisted Living, San Mateo, CA
Director of Assisted Living, January 2009 – January 2011 Operated therapeutic environment, offering memory care and quality of life to our residents and their families. Maintained programming designed to promote physical, social and psychological well being. Monitored, scheduled and supervised staff in accordance with policies. Leadership and mentoring of care staff.
● Established incentive programs resulting in 80% increase in community staffing ratio. Aegis Living, South San Francisco, CA
Director of Assisted Living, January 2003 – January 2009 Developed and maintained resident census at optimal levels, ensuring by first-hand observation that superior care was offered. Leadership and mentoring of care staff. Prepared operating and capital budget for approval by the Regional Director. Implemented policies and procedures to reflect objectives of facility. Guaranteed that facility was in compliance with state and federal regulations.
● Implemented new policies and procedures for resident care, assessments and in-servicing, significantly increasing staff retention and longevity. Education
Bachelors of Science in Healthcare Administration, Westwood University – Denver, CO
Associate of Arts in Dietary Management,
Mills College – Oakland, CA
Associate of Arts in Hotel Management,
Skyline College – San Bruno, CA
Residential Care Facility for the Elderly License Certification – 2018 International Food Safety Council - 1999
Dietary Management Association - 1998
Dietary Manager Certification - 1998
● Named the 2016 Executive Director of the Year at Pacifica Senior Living
● Awarded the 2017 Compass Achievement for highest census at Pacifica Senior Living