Location: Eugene, OR
Categories: Administrative/Professional, Information Technology, Computer and Information Science, Data Science
Department: Information Services
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $69,000 - $75,000 per year
Compensation Band: OS-OA08-Fiscal Year 2022-2023
Application Review Begins
March 24, 2023, open until filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit a complete application.
Complete applications must include an online application, a cover letter, and a resume that address how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications.
All applications must be submitted here, https://careers.uoregon.edu/en-us/job/531399/it-business-analyst
Information Services (IS) is the central information technology unit at the University of Oregon and provides wide ranging services to campus. Information Services consists of four major functional areas: Customer Experience, which serves as the key contact point for interactions with campus clients and customers; Applications & Middleware, which manages and supports applications, integration services, identity management and data management; Information Security, which helps protect virtual or physical information; and Technology Infrastructure, which provides administration and support for the software, hardware, and services needed to support the campus IT environment. Information Services also includes the Advanced Network Technology Center. IS works closely with the Network for Education and Research in Oregon.
Established in 1876, the University of Oregon offers a breadth and depth of curricula with more than 270 academic programs and provides the opportunity to work at a respected research university with a strong holistic, liberal arts foundation. The UO also has a history of political and social involvement that embraces diverse beliefs, cultures, and values, and it is committed to environmental responsibility.
The university is also proud of the Phil and Penny Knight Campus for Accelerating Scientific Impact, an initiative specifically designed to fast-track scientific discoveries and the process of turning those discoveries into innovations that improve the quality of life for people in Oregon, the nation and beyond. Information Services collaborates with Research and Innovation and our schools and colleges to support the research, teaching, and learning mission of the university.
Eugene is the home of the University of Oregon. Located in the lush Willamette Valley, Eugene is well-known for outdoor pursuits like running, cycling, rafting, and fishing, as well as arts, music, crafts, brewing, wine-making, and community-supported agriculture. With branches in Portland and on the Oregon coast, the UO is deeply connected to Oregon's natural and cultural treasures.
(Remote or Hybrid Eligible) Reporting to the Director IT Programs & Projects, the essential function of the Business Analyst is to identify and define business need in order to find solutions, make performance improvements, and enact organizational change.
The IT Business Analyst will be able to understand and identify the business problem and opportunity, access the capabilities to carry out change, define the scope of the solution and prepare appropriate documentation to present findings.
The IT Business Analyst will document detailed business requirements by conducting interviews/facilitating meetings, defining system feature set requirements, process diagrams and obtaining sign off on requirement documentation, work closely with the Enterprise IT Project Manager to monitor business analysis project deliverables and user acceptance (UA) test output, and lead user acceptance sign-off process.
The IT Business Analyst will perform analytical services pertaining to IT projects with the purpose of developing solutions that may be either technical, business/operational, or service oriented. The IT Business Analyst will meet and collaborate with teams across the university as a means to gather data as a leader of quantitative analysis. The incumbent will create and design reports and metrics for tracking business and project success.
The IT Business Analyst will create product scope using techniques such as process maps, workflow diagrams, IT capability assessments, and IT business rules. Based on data gathered from stakeholders, schools, colleges, and departments, the IT Business Analyst will build validation plans for phases of the project, gain acceptance from senior level management on validation plans as well as lead validation plans.
The incumbent will work independently as well as in a team. The IT Business Analyst will streamline issues and problems that arise from validation or data gathering. The IT Business Analyst is able to make high level decisions regarding the design, implementation, scope, and process of validating throughout IT projects.
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university or four years of equivalent experience.
• Three years of experience performing progressively complex business analysis activities such as scope definition, requirements gathering/discovery, business process re-engineering, and requirements management.
• One year of experience in creating and test planning including one of the following: Integration testing, functional testing, system testing, usability testing, or user acceptance testing.
• Experience working with complex IT projects.
• Ability to work effectively with faculty, staff and students from a variety of diverse backgrounds
• Demonstrated problem solving skills
• Ability to adapt within a rapidly changing technical environment
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain technical concepts to audiences with a wide-range of technical skills
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
• Ability to operate and communicate effectively while meeting deadlines and completing projects
• Business Analyst Certification either through IIBA or PMI.
• Experience working in Higher Education.
• Experience working directly with business stakeholders at all levels in an organization.
• Experience working in an IT organization.
FLSA Exempt: Yes