VINCENNES UNIVERSITY PHYSICAL PLANT
Job Description – Specification
Job Classification: Grounds Maintenance Worker – Lead
1. Provides leadership to mowing and/or lawn maintenance crew.
2. Perform grounds maintenance activities; lawn mowing, trimming, irrigation, exterior plantings, walks and brick walkways, snow removal and de-icing, etc. including operation and maintenance of grounds equipment, forklift, dump truck, etc.
3. Parking and traffic control structure maintenance; barricades, street drains, pavement maintenance, parking bumpers, etc.
4. Acquisition and maintenance of appropriate Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) for operation of Trash Compactor truck; picking up refuse and delivery to landfill. Responsible for handling and storage of Bio-hazardous Waste.
5. Required to work in a physical nature outside with grounds crew, to include all the above mention task.
6. Other duties as assigned by the Physical Plant.
1. Minimum one-year experience in grounds maintenance work; or equivalent combinations of applicable experience.
2. High School diploma, G.E.D, and/or years of grounds maintenance experience.
3. Interpret and work rough sketches, drawings and blue prints, and follow both verbal and written instructions.
4. Ability to instruct assistants, and provide leadership for seasonal and part-time employees/
5. Understand and follow all safety procedures and use of safety equipment
6. Maintain a positive working relationship with co-workers, faculty & staff, students and the general public; will be required to work as a member if other trade crews on large projects.
7. Operate vehicle and possess a valid driver’s license. CDL with appropriate classification for operation of the trash compactor truck is required.
8. May work under emergency and difficult situations.
9. Experience and comfortable working in heights with agility and balance, on scaffolding, ladders, and lifts.
10. Able to respond to emergency call-ins and may be required to work weekends/holidays as needed on snow removal, storm damage, special activities, etc.
11. Skilled in the operation and use of tools, chemicals, materials, and equipment in the grounds maintenance area with a good mechanical background.
12. Knowledge of lawn, grounds, and construction equipment operation and maintenance; i.e. Bobcat, forklift, etc.
13. May be required to perform weekend/holiday building checks and respond to pager calls.
14. Provide instruction to assistants and assist with training of new co-workers.
1. Standing, bending, climbing, carrying, reaching, handling, and use of fingers 50% or more of the work day. Combination of heavy truck operation and manual labor activities.
2. Regular attendance is required for this position. Actual schedule contingent upon the needs of the department and Vincennes University.
3. Works both indoors and outdoors, occasionally under inclement weather conditions.
4. Frequently lifting 50-100 pounds or over.
This person will assist in all areas as deemed necessary by the Director of Physical Plant.
Supervised by: Grounds Supv.
How To Apply:
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three references to Vincennes University, 1002 North First Street, Vincennes, IN 47591 or email to jobs. Interviews may be held concurrently with the application period.
Vincennes University is committed to diversity in the college community