Diversity & Inclusion Specialist - for prominent law firm in New York, NY
This position has firm-wide responsibility to advance overarching diversity & inclusion strategy with emphasis on supporting attorney and administrative professional affinity groups. Candidate is responsible for assisting the Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer with implementing aspects of affinity group related initiatives, and working with members of the Diversity & Inclusion team supporting the broader diversity and inclusion efforts. The Specialist will contribute to firm-wide initiatives and special projects to advance recruiting, retention, development, and promotion efforts for lawyers and administrative professionals.
• Work closely with the CDIO and Affinity Groups to develop and coordinate in-person and virtual programs and provide logistical support for both internal and external programs.
• Work closely with CDIO, and Manager to organize/execute firm-wide and office specific diversity and inclusion events and education programs.
• Support firm-wide diversity and inclusion efforts, including the D&I Committee and D&I Associate Advisory Board initiatives, diversity pipeline initiatives, and any other activities supported by the Diversity and Inclusion team.
• Assist the CDIO with managing and tracking the diversity-related sponsorships and memberships that the firm maintains with industry organizations and bar associations; make recommendations to the CDIO regarding the continued support of various organizations.
• Assist with the responses to industry diversity surveys and client requests for diversity-related information.
• Assist the CDIO and Manager in maintaining relationships with law school diversity professionals, alumni, community stakeholders and other diversity and inclusion professionals to expand outreach efforts and increase partnerships, visibility and the success of diversity initiatives.
• Assist in the development of DE&I materials, resources and toolkits.
• Provide support in the areas of project management, scheduling, and the organization of work for the D&I Assistant.
• Work with the D&I team and Marketing to maintain diversity and inclusion marketing content.
• Serve as diversity, inclusion, and equity subject matter expert; stay abreast of market trends and innovations.
• Collaborate with stakeholders, particularly in the Human Resources, Talent, and Marketing departments, to create programs to support the firm’s diversity and inclusion initiatives.
• Bachelor's degree required, Master’s degree or equivalent preferred.
• Must have at least two years of post-graduate experience supporting and implementing innovative D&I initiatives in a law firm or professional services organization.
• Experience with diversity, inclusion, and equity practices and programs, especially with employee resource, affinity groups or networks, in the legal profession and/or corporate organizations.
• Experience supporting and implementing innovative D&I initiatives.
• Prior experience in professional development, marketing, legal recruiting, or related area highly desirable.
• Proficiency in Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office Suite and/or related software; proficiency in viDesktop and HTML coding preferred.
• Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the diversity and inclusion industry and theories of intersectionality as they pertain to implementing initiatives for members of underrepresented communities.
• Highly developed project management skills and experience with event planning.
• Exceptional flexibility and ability to be a strong team player.
• Must be team oriented, contributing as needed on unexpected projects or requests.
• Exceptionally strong attention to detail, professional presence and strong interpersonal and presentation skills.
Salary is commensurate with experience.