1. Operate, repair, maintain, and adjust boilers, turbines, pumps, compressors, water lines, steam lines, valves, and all related systems and equipment.
2. Boiler operators work in industrial environments such as factories, power plants, warehouses, and in the equipment rooms of large buildings that run on boiler systems.
3. People in this career work all shifts, including nights and weekends, and report directly to floor supervisors or managers.
4. Boiler operators work within boiler rooms and equipment rooms and rarely travel in the course of their day-to-day duties.
5. Boiler operators perform frequent inspection checks and regular maintenance on boiler systems and related valves, gauges, piping, and other equipment.
6. Boiler operators repair piping, valves, and other boiler machinery as needed.
7. Boiler operators replace defective valves, gauges, and other boiler parts as needed.
8. Boiler operators record daily gas readings, feed water tests, and other test results.