The Conflicts Attorney identifies, analyzes, and resolves potential conflicts of interest-related to the firm's new business acquisition and lateral hiring. This position ensures new matters and attorney hires are compliant with the firm's conflicts and risk management policies and procedures. The person serves as a member of the office of the General Counsel.
Duties and Responsibilities: Identify, analyze and consult with leadership (partners, executive director and firm senior management) on new firm business with a focus on actual/potential conflicts, Know Your Client analyses, as well as employment of new and lateral attorneys.
• Create and maintain effective screening restrictions.
• Prepare, audit, and present conflict reports to attorneys to resolve issues in a timely manner.
• Review engagement letters and outside counsel guidelines to ensure firm-wide compliance.
• Serve as liaison between firm directors and subject matter experts on GDPR and CCPA Compliance.
• Perform legal research, including review of case law and jurisdictional issues related to conflicts clearance, lateral hiring, ethical walls, and related issues.
• Provide training to the Corporate, Financial Restructuring and Real Estate practice groups first year associates as they prepare audit response letters for clients.
• Assist practice groups with audit letter responses.
• Serve as Opinion Committee Secretary.
• Manage the approval process for compliance with restricted trading policy and procedures.
• Direct and/or assist with special projects as required.
Skill and Work Experience Requirements: Juris Doctorate degree
• Active member in good standing of New York.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word).
• At least three (3) years of related work experience in a conflict analysis capacity in a large firm setting (preferred).
• Demonstrated ability to maintain confidential and sensitive data.
• Ability to learn new systems quickly and develop expertise based on emerging needs of the firm.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Database searching experience; experience with Intapp preferred
• Familiarity with Lexis Nexis and other research tools
• Strong organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work productively with firm personnel at all levels