Providence St. Joseph Health is calling a Patient Access Representative to our location in Orange, CA.
We are seeking a Patient Access Representative to be responsible for assisting patients during the on-site registration and arrival process for scheduled and unscheduled visits as well as completing financial clearance functions. This individual completes the registration for unscheduled visits by collecting accurate demographic information, insurance information, and collecting patient liability (if known) at the time of service. This individual is also responsible for financial clearance functions on assigned scheduled accounts during registration downtimes. In addition, this individual is responsible for miscellaneous client service activities including valuables collection and providing basic customer service. The Patient Access Representative greets and serves patients in a professional, friendly, and respectful manner to promote positive encounters.
The incumbent performs all duties in a manner that promotes the PJSH mission, values, and philosophy. In all aspects, the incumbent serves as a role model for the values and mission of the organizations.
In this position you will have the following responsibilities:
• Activate patients in the system of record upon arrival on the date of service and assist patients and customers in navigating throughout the hospital facility.
• Verify patient insurance; read and understand responses from automated financial clearance tool and take appropriate action, including referrals to Patient Access Specialist or Financial Counselor, as appropriate.
• Ensure that required/applicable forms and documents are presented and explained at time of registration (e.g., Patient Rights and Responsibilities, Advance Directives, Important Patient Information, etc.).
• Obtain all necessary patient signatures at time of arrival.
• Perform collections and cashiering functions when appropriate.
• Ensure that financially cleared patients go directly to the area of service in order to receive treatment; refer patients to Financial Counseling when appropriate.
• Obtain all information necessary to perform benefits verification for unscheduled visits.
• Coordinate with bed placement and ensure appropriate patient type and status changes are performed in a timely manner.
• Confirm and document insurance eligibility of patient coverage benefits, including coverage limits, number of days, patient responsibility, effective dates, and follow-up with patient and/or referring physician office in the event of failed eligibility.
• Daily focus on attaining productivity standards; recommend new approaches for enhancing performance and productivity when appropriate.
• Coordinate discharge processing with financial counseling, Case Management, and clinicians.
• Assist patients with on-site customer service functions (e.g., billing, medical record, and collection inquiries) by coordinating with other revenue cycle functions and departments.
• Collect, log, and store patient valuables in accordance with SJHS security policies prior to patient service.
• Act as a knowledgeable resource on Registration and Financial Clearance functions for department staff. (e.g., answer account questions, assist with new staff training, etc.)
Required qualifications for this position include:
• 3 years of hospital patient access experience or similar experience in a healthcare environment.
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
• High School Diploma or GED.
• 5 years registration experience.
• Familiarity with basic financial clearance functions.
• Bilingual English/Spanish.
About the department you will serve.
One Revenue Cycle (ORC) is the name adopted to reflect the Providence employees who work throughout Providence Health & Services (PH&S) in revenue cycle systems and structures in support of our ministries and operations in all regions from Alaska to California. ORC’s objective is to ensure our core strategy, One Ministry Committed to Excellence, is delivered along with the enhanced overall patient care experience (know me, care for me, ease my way) by providing a robust foundation of services, operational and technical support, and the sharing of comprehensive, relevant, and highly specialized revenue cycle expertise.
For information on our comprehensive range of benefits, visit:
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Patient Services
Req ID: 280342