Plant Manager (Flexible Packaging)--Kansas City, MO
A reputable producer of flexible packaging is seeking an experienced manager that has previously worked in a wide web flexo printing environment. Great benefits and an opportunity to join a growing team.
Ability to supervise and organize the daily operations of the facility. Oversee employees, production and efficiency to make sure the plant is running smoothly, efficiently and safely. This position must maintain optimum operation by assigning workers, creating and keeping work and production schedules, assisting with hiring and training new employees, collecting and looking through data to find places of waste or places of improvement, oversee worker and plant safety, as well as monitoring production equipment.
Essential Duties and Tasks
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made, upon request, to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Plan, organize and direct the manufacturing and maintenance operations which ensure the most effective return on assets.
• Initiate plans and processes which minimize manufacturing costs through effective utilization of manpower, equipment, facilities, materials, and capital. Assure attainment of business objectives and productions schedules while ensuring product standards that will exceed our customers’ expectations.
• Implement manufacturing strategies and action plans to ensure that the facility supports our strategic initiatives.
• Establish group and individual accountabilities throughout assigned departments for problem solving and cost reduction, both on a permanent and ad-hoc basis, depending on need.
• Encourage use of new techniques and focus on fact - based problem solving.
• Improve manpower utilization within existing departments and processes. Schedule stability that allows for maximum return on efficiencies.
• Manage spending against budget and in relation to changes in production volume including the flexing of labor and other sources.
• Work to establish management practices throughout assigned areas which include all employees’ positive involvement with opportunity for construction input and action.
• Continually improve safety record by addressing both physical safety issues and employee safety attitudes. Maintain and improve housekeeping in all areas.
• Maintain individual skill keeping up to date with latest production and production management concepts.
• Manage all production related aspects of the plant and ensure on-time delivery and compliance with quality and company standards;
- Establish continuous improvement programs to reduce costs, increase productivity and yields, and improve the company’s overall performance in terms of quality, health and safety, and environment.
- Establish performance improvement targets and report on key performance indicators, visibly display of performance using, establish matrices throughout production floor.
- Hire, organize, train and supervise the production personnel and undergo their performance appraisal review on a regular basis.
- Yearly operational budgeting and planning
- Ensure that operations are at all times conducted in full compliance with the company’s health and safety, legal and, environmental obligations, and standards.
- Encourage prevention and safe work habits and enforce the company policies in health and safety.
- Maintain and improve the quality system in place in collaboration with all managers
• Demonstrate and ensure safety and environmental compliance through the plant
• Develop and drive plans and process which minimize manufacturing costs through data-based decision making including a proven track of continuous improvement and Overall Equipment Effectiveness.
• Assure attainment of business objectives and production schedules while meeting all quality specifications.
• Implement manufacturing strategies and action plans in support of strategic initiatives.
• Measure, track and maintain the controls and reports necessary to evaluate plant costs, quality and service level necessary for more efficient and effective plant operations in a dynamic business environment.
• Develop and promote effective working relationship with other departments helping establish open, efficient, and proactive communication links to all internal and external customers.
• Develop subordinates in their individual areas of responsibility, as well as in a total team management approach, through formal, informal, and cross training; counseling and guidance in traditional and creative techniques used to plan, measure, and control and improve operating procedures. Conduct annual performance appraisals with each reporting manager, basing results on job description requirements and prior negotiated goals. Review each manager evaluation of his/her respective subordinates. Recommend merit increased based upon the individuals’ performance and placement in salary range.
Qualifications, Education and Experience
• 5+ years of experience
• Bachelor’s Degree preferred
• Background in flexible packaging
• Knowledge of ink systems
• Ethical Conduct • Problem Solving/Analysis
• Technical Capacity • Communication Proficiency
Work primarily in a non-climate controlled indoor environment with minimal safety/health hazard potential. Hearing protection, safety shoes and vision protection required.
This role operates primarily in a manufacturing environment. Employee may be exposed to non-toxic/nuisance smells from chemicals, airborne dust, moving mechanical parts, high noise levels and hot/humid environmental conditions in the manufacturing area during extremely hot summer months.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employee is regularly required to stand; walk; kneel on hard surfaces; use hands/fingers to handle equipment. The employee is regularly required to communicate with other personnel on the production floor. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 pounds.