Imagine knowing the work you do is changing the face of the healthcare system in Canada. That’s what we do every day at Verto Health, create technology solutions that facilitate access to quality healthcare regardless of geographic location.
Who we are
Verto Health’s Digital Twin platform supports virtual care, streamlines data collection, allows for coordination between healthcare facilities, and acts as a patient engagement hub. Founded in 2017, our goal is to bring Canadian Healthtech to the global stage. Our mission is to build software that delivers improved patient outcomes and experience.
In September 2020, we partnered with McMaster HealthLabs (MHL) to use our technology to facilitate a pilot project to test thousands of travellers a day arriving in Canada for COVID-19. As a result of this successful pilot, and renewed commitment from Air Canada and the GTAA, we’re excited to respond to the demand for well-managed, secure, rapid testing. Read more about the pilot project here.
We are growing our team so we can expand our impact. We are hiring people who share our passion for improving care access, cost and quality using technology.
Who we need
Reporting to the Director, Engineering, we are searching for an Intermediate Full Stack Developer to join our Agile team. You will be at the front line, radically transforming how healthcare is delivered through our digital twin platform. It's a chance to the next step in your career at a company with incredible growth opportunities, working on our product, and coding complex client solutions. One of the first projects you will work on is expanding our solutions being used to provide essential technology for a large-scale response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
We are solving technology problems for the Canadian healthcare industry and doing so at a speed that is lightning fast. What other companies take months to do, we accomplish in weeks. All of this comes together to create an incredible opportunity for significant innovation and rewarding work.
What's in it for you
Exposure. We hold weekly Architecture Review Board meetings (ARB), where the passion, innovation, and dedication of every member can be heard. ARB is a place where everyone can propose ideas, make a case against a recommended direction (even one coming from our CISO, Director, or CEO), and trust that we aim to reach consensus resulting in the rapid delivery of the highest quality product. You will participate in lunch-and-learns, demonstrate your work at town halls, and be a part of our Ninja Ops team, gaining exposure to different technical and non-technical domains of the company.
Impact. The size of the clients we are working with, and the scale we are operating at is rare in Canada. Everyone here makes a tangible contribution that is valued. You will be a key player, and your work will help us continue to exceed the expectations of our customers. Your success in this role will directly result in keeping Canadians safe.
Career development. You will be mentored by our Director, whose professional superpower is adaptability. You will be supported in your growth, whether that’s technology-focused such as into a DevOps Engineer, Security Engineer, or Architect. Or, people-leadership focused into a Team Lead and Development Manager. You will be part of a company that rewards and recognizes merit and creates new opportunities.
How you will make an impact
- Develop. You will do full-stack work on our web applications contributing high-quality, clean, and easy-to-read code while adhering to best practices. New features and functionality might include Tier 1 support tooling to manage user information, event orchestration engine, and the ability to easily build configurable forms to meet client needs. You will independently work on refactoring and optimization. None of our tech debt is more than two years old. The code you contribute will be invaluable and directly impact our success.
- Be Agile. You will engage in agile software development while adhering to project deadlines. You will translate functionalities into development stories and self-manage completion. You will assist and guide the work of junior developers and co-op students.
- Prioritize quality. You will conduct code review, test automation, security auditing, and quality assurance tasks, effectively troubleshooting and fixing application issues. You will propose optimizations for enhancing the reliability and speed of our platform.
- Research and analyze. You will actively participate in architecture discussions, presenting well-thought-out ideas and evidence for choosing a particular tool, process, or method.
What you bring
- The education. We know not everyone gains their skills and knowledge through traditional formats. You may have a college certificate or diploma, a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- The experience. You have 4+ years of hands-on experience working on web applications at the full-stack level. You may have exposure to scaling up products and processes. Whether you are used to the hustle of a startup or the processes of a bigger organization, you come with a passion for solving complex problems with innovative technology and the drive to make an impact.
- The technical toolbox. You are highly proficient in Python, Ruby on Rails, and Angular/Vue.js.
- The collaborative approach. You can efficiently work across teams both in-person and remote. Your oral and written communication skills are outstanding.
- The initiative. You are a critical thinker who can creatively solve problems and you continuously pursue knowledge. You are inspired by a fast-paced environment and can rise to the challenge of competing priorities.
- The heroics. You have a professional superpower. It could be the ability to focus on the user experience above all else like our Director of Product, Mahmoud, or our CFO Anna's vision building strength, or our CEO Michael's ability to know precisely when you are having fun (which you should be) and when you aren't.
- The bonus tools. You may have exposure to or the self-motivation to learn open source tools including Docker for containerization; frameworks such as Flask, React Native; and database technologies such as PostgreSQL, MongoDB, and Redis.
Our culture, our team
Our Founder and CEO firmly believes that helping transform healthcare with technology should be fun and Nerd friendly and if you share that belief, you are going to love working here. We are a team of 30+ passionate Health Informaticians and Technologists enthusiastically and tirelessly helping more than 50 hospitals, clinics, and long-term care facilities deliver improved patient outcomes and patient experience. We take a team approach to everything we do, with transparency and access across the board. If you have a question, anyone here is ready to answer it. Need help? We've got you covered. Looking to explore another domain of the company or technology? We promote from within and support your growth with in-house developed education and pathways.
Our diversity is our strength and we are proud to enable a work culture that encourages people to laugh, have fun, and build relationships, while maintaining a work-life balance. At Verto, we are redefining what it means to be passionate about healthcare: We are Bold, Impactful, Transparent, Trustworthy, and Effective.
If you have 70% of the qualifications we are looking for and you know you can make a difference, we encourage you to express your interest. We can’t promise it will be a fit, but we do promise to consider your experience. Apply now.
Verto Health welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.