General Manager of Municipal Utilities
City of Traer, Iowa
Byrnes & Rupkey, Inc. has been retained by the Traer Municipal Utilities to conduct and facilitate a search for the General Manager of Municipal Utilities.
The General Manager will be responsible for managing all activities of the Traer Municipal Utilities including the electric, water, wastewater, gas and internet services.
• Direct activities of employees, directly or through supervisors with direct supervision of up to 10 employees.
• Oversee functions of Utilities to assure effective, economical delivery of services to customers and public.
• Ensure that all utility operations are compliant with restrictions set by Federal and State regulatory agencies, as well as making sure all Federal and State required reporting is submitted accurately and on time.
• Track sources and costs of purchased power and sales of energy and income by customer class to allow for future planning and accurate budget inputs.
• Track monthly budget expenditures to ensure that budget line item expenses do not exceed budgeted amounts. Report any unforeseen expenses that may cause deviation from the budget to the Traer Municipal Utilities Board of Trustees.
• Prepare monthly reports for the Board of Trustees of the electric, water, sewer and internet sales and income statistics as well as new and ongoing projects.
• Pursue projects which can increase the effectiveness of the Utilities and bring proposals to the Board for action.
• Support economic development activities in the community.
• 5-10 years experience at an electric utility and preferred experience at the management level.
• Extensive electric utilities background. Water/Wastewater background desired.
• Experience overseeing or managing electric, gas, water, wastewater treatment and wireless internet utilities.
• Broad electric utility experience and areas of knowledge: operations, safety, strategic planning, team building, member communications, required regulatory compliance and reporting.
• Experience in or knowledge of operations of diesel generating units is favorable.
• Strong understanding of finance as it relates to utility budgeting and operations is required.
• Able to already possess or ability to obtain required certification for the operations of the water and wastewater utilities from the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
• The Utility offers a full range of employee benefits including the following:
• IPERS retirement
• Health Insurance
• Paid vacation, holidays and other benefits
Position offers competitive salary depending on experience. Relocation assistance is negotiable.
Applications will be accepted until July 15, 2020 Interviews will begin the week of July 20, 2020.
To apply, contact Byrnes & Rupkey, Kristy Staggs at (319-234-6201). Send resume, cover letter and 2-3 Business References to .