Our client, a reputable, established company is looking for a Precision Grinder to join their team in Rochester, NY as a full-time employee. This is a 1st shift position, so the hours are Mon-Fri from 7:30am-4pm. As a Precision Grinder, you will set up and operate surface grinding machines with horizontal or vertical spindle and reciprocating or rotating table to grind flat or contoured surfaces of metal workpieces, such as tool, die, and machine parts, usually for limited runs. You will analyze specifications and select tooling according to knowledge of surface grinding procedures. This will involve studying the blueprint or layout on a workpiece to visualize grinding to be done and plan a sequence of operations. Our client offers a competitive compensation package, including bonus and great benefits!
* Position and secure workpiece on magnetic chuck, in holding fixture, or directly to machine table.
* Select grinding wheel, grinding speeds, and feed rates for each operation according to knowledge of metal properties and abrasives, and mount wheel on spindle.
* Move device to dress wheel.
* Move controls and read dials to set rotation speeds and feed rates.
* Position and tighten stops to limit table travel.
* Move controls to feed workpiece to wheel or vice versa.
* Turn valve handle and direct flow of coolant against wheel and workpiece.
* Verify dimensions of ground workpiece for conformance to specifications, using such measuring instruments as micrometers, comparators, dial indicators, gauge blocks, and load test equipment.
* May dress grinding wheel to specified profile for contour grinding, using special fixtures and tools.
* May grind nonmetallic materials, such as plastics.
* May operate tracer attachment to duplicate contours from templates or models.
* 5+ years of Surface Grinding experience.
* Experience working with various sized machines and workpieces.
* Okamoto Grinding Machine experience is a plus.
* Flexibility to work overtime as needed (OT is paid at a time and a half).
* High School Diploma.