The Fiscal Specialist reports to the Finance Director of the Early Learning Coalition of Lake County (ELCLC) and performs accounting duties of moderate to difficult complexity.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Accurately follow procedures established by the state of Florida and the Finance Director to properly account for all revenue and expenditures for the School Readiness (SR) and Volunteer Pre-Kindergarten (VPK) programs.
• Insure that internal control procedures are followed and that accurate records are maintained in state system (EFS) and MIP Fund Accounting.
• Create purchase orders for purchases and travel as needed and obtain all required documentation related to the expenditure.
• Process weekly accounts payable including coding expenditures to the appropriate cost accumulator according to state guidelines and per the budget and reconcile the accounts payable subsidiary ledger each month.
• Maintain a file of W-9 forms for vendors and providers as required for 1099 reporting.
• Review monthly Visa purchases ensuring that all Visa expenditures and documentation are accounted for, approved, and allocated to the proper cost accumulator.
• Maintain a current working knowledge of all policies related to employee travel and educate staff in a timely manner regarding these policies.
• Review staff travel authorization requests. Make all reservations (car, hotel, registration, etc.) needed for staff travel.
• Review monthly employee travel ensuring that all necessary documentation for mileage and travel is received and allocated to the proper cost accumulator.
• Maintain a database of all incoming checks/cash for trainings, client repayments, and provider repayments and ensure that all payments are deposited and posted to the appropriate accounts in a timely manner.
• Maintain a workbook of incoming client repayments and provide a monthly report detailing payments received to the Family Services Director and the Board of Directors.
• Record cash receipts and reconcile the accounts receivable subsidiary ledger each month.
• Assist with the preparation of monthly invoices for submission to the Office of Early Learning.
• Assist with monthly reconciliation of general ledger accounts.
• Conduct routine audits of provider payments and adjustments.
• Assist with month end and year-end closing functions as needed for SR and VPK programs.
• Assist with expenditure validation testing and audits and gather required documentation.
• Perform impromptu report writing functions for data needed to submit to funders and reporting agencies and at the request of ELCLC Directors.
• Meet and confer with ELCLC staff, sub-contractor staff, and vendors as needed.
• Process payroll in the absence of the Finance Director.
• Assist Reimbursement staff with provider attendance processing.
• Other duties or responsibilities as requested.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
• Attendance and participation in professional conferences, training, statewide and regional meetings, and other related events as it pertains to the position.
• Work harmoniously with early education providers, ELCLC board members, school readiness agencies, and ELCLC staff.
• Operate computers, printers and other office equipment;
• Understand and carry out oral and written instructions;
• Deal tactfully with staff, public, and others;
• Handle sensitive situations appropriately;
• Be courteous, flexible, reliable, and responsive to supervisors, coworkers, providers, parents, and stakeholders;
• Communicate effectively and timely;
• Perform duties under pressure and meet time deadlines;
• Problem solve;
• Analyze situations accurately and adapt effective courses of action;
• Interpret and implement applicable laws, regulations, policies, directives, and procedures;
• Work both independently and as a part of a team.
• Accounting principles and practices;
• Automated financial systems, MIP Fund Accounting software preferred;
• Microsoft Excel, Access, Word, and Outlook programs;
• Methods, practices and terminology of computer systems, data entry equipment and processing;
• Office methods, practices and procedures.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High School graduate/AA preferred; supplemented by one year experience in accounting or bookkeeping work in a professional office environment; computer literacy in Windows. One or more years’ experience in accounts payable and graduation from a two year college with an AA or AS degree preferred. Strong Excel skills are required.
A valid Florida driver’s license and current automotive insurance coverage is required. Travel may be required. Mileage will be reimbursed.
A local and state FDLE background check will be completed. ELCLC is a drug-free workplace. Drug screening may be required prior to employment.
40 hour work week. Days and times may vary dependent upon the needs of the program.
Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds in order to meet the day to day requirements of the job. Must be able to sit for long periods of time with occasional times of standing and/or walking.