Production Manager – Foundry – NY #5753
Location Syracuse, NY
Provides mid-level management oversight on production, involved in team technical and quality issues for the foundry. In addition, responsible for directing and coordinating the activities of production personnel to meet production timetables and quality goals. Ensures that direct reports follow company policies and motivates team, conducts performance appraisals, participates in interviewing, makes increase, demotion, job transfer recommendations etc. Also, ensures that team is working productively to meet shipping timetables for customer satisfaction. . Plans and establishes work schedules, staffing requirements, and production sequences to maximize productivity. Provides production process analysis and makes recommendations on solutions to process improvements. Familiar with a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks. Required a certain degree of creativity and latitude. Typically requires a bachelor's degree. Typically reports to a senior manager. Manages subordinate staff in the day-to-day performance of their jobs. Ensures that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhering to approved budgets. Participates in interdisciplinary teams to ensure technical and engineering issues are resolved. Extensive knowledge of department processes.
• Plans and directs production to obtain maximum utilization of assigned personnel, equipment and materials and to ensure on time shipment of parts meeting customer’s specifications
• Coordinates the requisitioning and expediting of all raw materials, and perishable tools
• Assists in developing or revising standard operational and working practices and observes employees to ensure compliance with standards.
• Inspects equipment to ensure specific operational performance and coordinates repairs and preventive maintenance with Maintenance personnel to ensure minimum downtime.
• Informs General Manager of employee problems that require his/her attention and the disposition of resolved minor problems
• Provides hands on departmental instruction and training and determines external training required by assigned personnel and submits needs to General Manager
• Administers company’s performance appraisal policy and recommends merit increases, promotions, transfers and other personnel actions for assigned personnel to General Manager
• Observes and encourages good timekeeping practices and sets the example
• Ensures that all safety policies and practices, use of personal protective equipment and good housekeeping are adhered to.
• Makes recommendations for improvement of processes and productivity
• Conducts corrective actions, implements performance appraisals, assists in interviewing for departmental vacant positions, makes wage increase recommendations, recommendations for promotions and demotions etc.
• Originates general leave of absence requests and forwards to one up manager.
• Reviews departmental attendance and approved weekly time cards.
• First line approval on vacation requests which are then forwarded to the General Manager.
• Attends the daily production meeting and provides departmental status reports, staffing data, and production status to the General Manager and Production Management Production Meeting Team.
• Reviews the production schedule for the department and plans machinery set ups and change overs to ensure production goals are met.
• Spot inspects and verifies that departmental employees are productive and following company policies including but not limited to PPE requirements and work rules.
• Maintains work flow by monitoring steps of the process; setting processing variables; observing control points and equipment; monitoring personnel and resources; studying methods; implementing cost reductions; developing reporting procedures and systems; facilitating corrections to malfunctions within process control points; initiating and fostering a spirit of cooperation within and between departments.
• Completes production plan by scheduling and assigning personnel; ensuring quality job specific training, training staff as necessary, accomplishing work results; establishing priorities; monitoring progress; revising schedules; resolving problems; reporting results of the processing flow on shift production summaries.
• Maintains quality service by establishing and enforcing organization standards.
• Monitors scarp rates and strives to keep these low and within industry standards of excellence.
• Ensures operation of equipment by calling for repairs; evaluating new equipment and techniques and makes recommendations for departmental enhancements.
• Follows-up and ensures that all safety preventative programs are implemented on the proper schedules and all associated paperwork is completed and submitted in a timely manner.
• Completes all required reports and paperwork mon time.
• Acts as a role model of desired behaviors and exemplifies a positive can do spirit to enhance the reputation of the company and to create a positive workplace culture.
• Organize workflow to meet specifications and deadlines
• Monitor production to resolve issues including output rates, scrap, and quality issues (in conjunction with quality mgr).
• Supervise and evaluate performance of production personnel (quality inspectors, workers etc.)
• Determine amount of necessary resources (workforce, raw materials etc.)
• Approve maintenance work generates maintenance requests and contact appropriate personnel,, recommends purchasing of equipment etc.
• Ensures equipment inspections are conducted and submitted as required.
• Ensure output meets quality standards
• Enforce health and safety precautions
• Report to upper management
• Decide how best to use a plant’s workers and equipment to meet production goals
• Ensure that production stays on schedule and within budget
• Hire, train, and evaluate workers
• Analyze production data
• Provides schedule or schedule revisions to subordinate supervisors.
• Write production reports
• Monitor a plant’s workers to ensure they meet performance and safety requirements
• Suggest ways to make the production process more efficient & participate in cross functional teams to do so.
• Determine whether new machines are needed or whether overtime work is necessary
• Fix any production problems
• Supervise production team to manage and execute production projects.
• Coordinate with customers/purchasing/outside vendors to develop project plan and timelines.
• Work with the team to plan, schedule and perform production activities.
• Assign daily workload to team members.
• Maintain production program and guidelines to support company objectives.
• Schedule equipment maintenance and inspection on regular basis.
• Suggest process improvements to enhance production quality and capacity.
• Organize job trainings to team members to achieve production goals.
• Investigate production issues and develop resolutions.
• Determine equipment, material and manpower requirements for project/production execution.
• Maintain project/production budget and maintain expenses within the budget.
• Recommend cost reduction initiatives while maintaining quality standards.
• Assist in employee recruitment, performance evaluation, promotion, retention and termination activities.
• Ensure that final product meets quality standards and customer specifications.
• Ensure that team follows company policies and safety standards
• Complete and/or maintain required records and reports.
• Support proactively the ISO approach to quality management and the Syteline MIS system.
• Adhere to all safety policies and practices, consistently use personal protective equipment and practice good housekeeping.
• Adheres to all company policies, procedures, and standards of conduct including but not limited to safety.
• Maintain a positive professional approach to all internal and external contacts.
• Performs other tasks as directed.
Bottom line requirements we need notes on with candidate submittal:
1. Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related.
2. 5+ years of experience in a mid level management role in aluminum foundry environment.
3. Proficient in MS Office and ERP software.
4. Local or close enough for a short move.