Provide uninterrupted outpatient and inpatient Optometrist Services and Administrative Services in the delivery of patient care.
• Provide professional medical services or direct patient care services under the terms of this contract, appropriate and timely medical services in accordance with the standards of care established by recognized medical care organizations and in accordance with the policies and procedures of Service Unit’s Medical Staff Bylaws and Rules & Regulations, including attendance at department and medical staff meetings. You shall be scheduled to provide on-call services after your regularly scheduled shift during the week and as scheduled on weekends. Make rounds in the inpatient wards to insure the patients are receiving proper medical care.
• Provide professional medical services or direct patient care services.
• Diagnose vision impairment and ocular disease through examination of the eye and adnexa.
• Treat and manage vision impairment and ocular disease with corrective lenses, therapeutic pharmaceuticals and other appropriate means.
• Use all forms of topical ophthalmic therapeutic medicine and oral therapeutic medicine to manage pathology and trauma.
• Provide emergency eye care services including the diagnosis and treatment of ophthalmic trauma and pathology consistent with hospital privileges.
• Utilize laboratory and radiology services to evaluate ophthalmic and related systemic conditions.
• Direct optometric technicians to assist in the clinical examination as appropriate.
• Provide appropriate documentation on rendered patient care utilizing electronic health record (EHR) system.
• Coordinate systemic care of ocular disease patients with other physicians in the hospital.
• Examine inpatients as requested by attending physicians.
• Consult with Unit Chief of Optometry and/or private ophthalmologic consultants and medical practitioners as needed for complex cases.
• Refer and coordinate contract health care for patients requiring medical, surgical and/or diagnostic services outside of the CSU and assists in the coordination of patient transport for urgent/emergent ocular conditions.
• Provide consultation on difficult cases to practitioners in the same or other specialties. Provides teaching to medical practitioners, residents and students on the most complex patients.
• Perform additional Computer Applications & Administrative Duties.
• Provide EHR technical support to include development of templates, programming pick lists and quick orders, troubleshooting EHR setup concerns, assisting clinics with implementation tasks related to EHR start-up and other tasks as required to support clinical use of the EHR. Assist in integration of other IT based clinical applications into the EHR environment. Perform and complete the clinical informatics workload onsite or remotely using VPN access.
• Assist in administrative functions of the Health Care Facility Optometry Residency Program, including, but not limited to, participating in resident interviews, completing evaluations and preparing reports.
• Provides lectures and other forms of didactic training to the resident.
• Participates in quarterly journal review discussions in support of the academic program.
• Assists the Chief of Optometry in other administrative duties as assigned.
• Communicate with Tsaile Health Center and/or Pinon Health Center HSA & CMO when appropriate.
• Shall have completed an accredited Optometry Residency Program with a minimum of six months experience in the specialty. There must be no lapse of services of no more than six (6) months prior to beginning tour of duty.
• Shall be board certified with the National Board of Examiners in Optometry.
• Shall possess a current, valid, unrestricted Optometry license in any state, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a Territory of the United States.
• Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) License. Shall maintain a valid, current, full and unrestricted DEA license with Schedule Types II through V.
• Shall maintain a valid and current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Basic Life Support (BLS) certifications and are mandatory.
• Motor Vehicle Operator’s License. If required by the position, you shall possess a valid state driver’s license.
• Medical Evaluation. Shall provide a fitness for duty certificate issued by a licensed physician to perform the proposed job without significant risk to personal health or the health and safety of others.
• Immunization. Shall provide documentation as evidence of immunization as required by NAIHS immunization policy.
Language Requirements and Cultural Awareness:
• Shall read, understand, speak, and write English to effectively communicate with patients and other health care workers, and shall be respectful of the local, American Indian and Alaska Native culture.
Information Technology Skills:
• Shall possess basic knowledge, skills, and abilities to use a computer.