Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Provide client care as directed by the Director of Nursing or registered nurse supervisor.
2. Provide personal care:
b. Grooming, including oral care
c. Assist the client with dressing and undressing
d. Assist the client with toileting activities
e. Assist in feeding the client, if necessary
f. Feed clients who are unable to feed themselves
g. Take and record vital signs (temperature, pulse, respirations and blood pressure)
h. Measure and record height and weight, if necessary.
i. Support good skin care to prevent skin breakdown (i.e. turn and reposition client, actively encourage movement)
j. Assist client with active and passive range of motions as defined by the plan of care
k. Provide client with help walking and transferring
3. Provide Supportive Care:
a. Changes bed linens, washes and irons patient's laundry, and cleans patient's quarters.
b. Purchases, prepares, and serves food for patient and other members of family, following special prescribed diets.
c. Assists patients into and out of bed, automobile, or wheelchair, to lavatory, and up and down stairs.
d. Massages patient and applies preparations and treatments.
e. Administers prescribed oral medications under written direction of client’s Physician and Registered Nurse.
f. Accompanies ambulatory patients outside home, serving as guide, companion, and aide.
g. Entertains patient, reads aloud, and plays cards or other games with patient.
h. Performs variety of miscellaneous duties as requested such as obtaining household supplies and running errands.
i. Maintains records of services performed and of apparent condition of patient.
j. Maintains a clean, safe and healthy patient/client environment.
k. Assists patient/client with incidental activities of daily living such as shopping, meal preparation, socialization activities, homemaking, and medication reminders.
4. Observe client’s physical, mental and emotional conditions
a. Report any change to Registered Nurse
b. Document observed changes
c. Measure and document intake and output, if necessary
d. Assist client in the self-administration of medication (medication reminder)
e. Perform light housekeeping
f. Perform meal preparation and clean up
g. Change bed linens and make up the client’s bed
h. Maintain an orderly client environment.
i. Follow principles of infection control and Universal Precautions.
j. Identifies and participates in performance improvement activities.
k. Provide transport to doctor appointments, outside activities and shopping.
l. Participates in client teaching per the client’s plan of care.
m. Assist in providing a safe environment and promote quality patient care through adherence to established policies, procedures and standards
5. Adhere to infection control and safety procedures which are in accordance with agency policies.
6. Ensure client’s rights are adhered to
7. Respond rapidly and appropriately in an emergency situation.
8. Use equipment properly and in a safe manner
9. All other duties as assigned by the Program Manager or RN
Supervisory Responsibilities: The position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
1. Write clearly and informatively.
2. Demonstrates attention to detail.
3. Works well with a variety of individuals and learning habitats. Treats people with respect.
4. Works with integrity and ethically. Upholds organizations values.
5. Adapts to changes in the work environment. Able to deal with frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events.
6. Ability to maintain personal and professional boundaries with co-workers, clients and families.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
1. Must have current Minnesota certification as an ULP or CNA, or can obtain Minnesota certification upon employment. Be listed on the MN registry
2. Ability to communicate professionally both orally and in writing with a wide range of people.
3. Must have strong organization, time management, prioritization, and excellent client service skills
4. Must be able to perform duties while on job in a professional, respectful manner with clients, other Caregivers and Management.
5. Must be at least 18 years of age.
6. Must exhibit mature responsible behavior, and understand the need for patient confidentiality.
7. Treats clients, staff and the public with courtesy, respect and presents appositive public image.
8. Must be able to follow direction and accurately report to the RN Supervisor any changes in the client’s condition.
9. Must have available reliable transportation to and from assignments.
10. Must have a valid driver’s license with CURRENT/ ACTIVE car insurance.
11. Must have a command of the English language.
12. Exhibit clear, consistent emotional and professional boundaries
13. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
1. Certificate from college or technical school; and/or
2. Six months related experience.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl. This job requires the ability to perform light household chores. The physical condition of the client may require some transfer or lifting of the client. The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.