Purchasing Manager – MO #5742
Location St. Louis, MO
Plans, develops and executes procurement and supplier management strategies that improve business process productivity, and reduces costs and procurement related expenses while improving profitability. Leads the plant purchasing team members to execute procurement and supplier management activities in alignment with plant requirements.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES-ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
(Not listed in order of time-spent or importance) - Includes the following, but not limited to:
1. Leads and develops a highly productive and cohesive work team that is focused on meeting performance, productivity, quality, safety and customer service goals, including coaching and training team members as needed to drive short and long-term purchasing team strategies.
2. Establishes KPIs and annual targets to ensure suppliers’ cost, delivery, and service are appropriate to support company strategic objectives.
3. Accountable for on-time delivery of all inbound parts shipments. Develops plans and coordinates with buyers, plant stakeholders and suppliers, as necessary, to guarantee on-time delivery.
4. Develops and executes strategies to ensure attainment of annual targets. Strategy execution includes leading project tracking, issue resolution, and reporting as well as savings validation of purchasing activities required to meet annual targets.
5. Ensures that sourcing strategies are aligned to business requirements and are focused on extracting maximum value from the supply base.
6. Leads business reviews with major suppliers to drive operational excellence and ensure strategic relationships are successfully developed and sustained.
7. Works closely with the Purchasing Director in the development of purchasing policies, goals, and strategies, current and future purchasing, and supplier management strategies.
8. Creates a sustainable competitive advantage, in areas such as pricing, service, responsiveness, terms, technology, material availability, information, market intelligence, by developing and maintaining long term beneficial supplier relationships.
9. Keeps abreast of economic and industrial trends that affect markets, prices, availability, and develops strategies to mitigate risk and impact.
10. Contributes to and supports the existence of a positive work environment through personal involvement by communicating, interacting, and behaving in a manner that promotes productive relationships with coworkers, supervisors, customers, vendors, and others with whom such relationships are important to the success of company operations.
11. Performs other duties as assigned and participates in/leads ad hoc projects as needed.
12. Provides guidance, sets expectations, clarifies responsibilities, and provides feedback to team members in accomplishing tasks and goals.
13. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies, applicable laws, and Core Operating Values.
QUALIFICATIONS – Education, Certifications, Training, Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Business, Supply Chain Management, or related discipline.
• 8+ years experience as Purchasing Manager, or Lead/Senior Buyer with strong sourcing and vendor management experience and supervisory experience.
Experience in purchasing direct and indirect materials.
Demonstrated experience as a data driven decision maker with the ability to gather, analyze and present data to senior management.
Experience working with vendor management systems (knowledge of PLEX a plus).
• Experience in a manufacturing environment with machining and/or assembly content.
• Experience in automotive tier 1 or tier 2 supply contracting.
• Purchasing/Supply Chain Certification through ISM, APS, APICS, or an accredited college; or in the process
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (required, unless stated as preferred)
Computer, Technical, Mechanical, Mathematical and/or Scientific Skills
• Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, with more advanced skills in Excel.
• Working knowledge of industrial machinery, technical systems, and process flows.
• Working knowledge of manufacturing processes and lean manufacturing techniques.
• Advanced knowledge of procurement strategies, administration, and best practices.
• Advanced skills in contract negotiation, contract administration, and supplier segmentation/management.
• Working knowledge of Statistical Process Control and Statistical software, preferred.
• Advanced understanding of financial concepts (bonds, credit ratings, payment terms, invoicing standards, etc.), preferred.
Communication skills – Verbal, Written, Training, Presenting, etc.
• Advanced verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate with all levels of employees and management and with external contacts. Ability to develop and write complex specifications, documents, correspondence, training materials, manuals, etc.
• Ability to lead presentations and conduct productive meetings.
Problem Solving and Decision Making skills
• Advanced investigative and problem solving skills, demonstrating the ability identify and resolve complex problems that require further detailed investigation and analysis to establish alternative solutions and weigh risks and benefits, and their impact to team members, customers, department and company.
Leadership skills and/or Project Management skills
• Ability to lead and develop a highly productive and cohesive work team that is focused on meeting performance, productivity, quality, safety and customer service goals, preferred.
Other- additional skills, travel and shift/schedule requirements, etc.
• Demonstrated strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
• Proficient skills in implementing change, ensuring understanding, participation and ownership.
• Ability to deal with stressful situations with tact and professionalism.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, including balancing priorities and deliverables.
• Must be able to travel to other company and customer sites as required.
Bottom line requirements we need notes on with candidate submittal:
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Business, Supply Chain Management, or related.
2. 8+ years of experience as Purchasing Manager or Senior Buyer with strong sourcing and vendor management experience and supervisory experience.
3. Experience in purchasing direct and indirect materials.
4. Experience working with vendor management systems (knowledge of PLEX a plus).
5. Experience in a manufacturing environment with machining or assembly or in automotive tier 1 or 2 preferred.
6. Purchasing or Supply Chain Certification through ISM, APS, APICS preferred.