The Product Specialist is the expert for a technical development or execution environment product or set of products. The primary responsibility of a Product Specialist is to ensure the availability and facilitate the productive use of a product for Application Teams or end users. The Product Specialist may own part of a product, all of one, or several products depending on the nature of the product(s) and their use. The Product Specialist requires significant to expert experience and skills in the product supported. The Product Specialist will usually also have significant experience in the operating environment(s) (i.e., Oracle PSRM, Cognos, Framework Manager, DataStage, etc.) on which the product is implemented. If the product is one that was internally developed, the supporting PS should also have most of the skills of a Programmer. The Product Specialist is responsible for collaborating with Technical Architecture Specialist, System Specialists, Programmers and vendors to ensure and enhance the use of the product and effect migration to new versions of a product.
Years of Relevant Experience: 9 or more years
Qualified candidates will have extensive experience with Cognos, Framework Manager and DataStage and especially on the OHIO STARS Project.
Preferred Education: 4 year college degree or equivalent technical study.
Role Description: • Make sound recommendations on functional and technical improvements to the product.
• Analyze the functional and technical impact of product planning decisions.
• Develop appropriate functional and usability standards for products.
• Track and document expected volume and type of use of the product.
• Participate in product design reviews to verify that design meets quality standards and functional/technical requirements.
• Perform impact analyses on production fixes and enhancements to establish priorities.
• Provide basic product support and provide accurate and complete answers to detailed product questions in a timely manner.
• Provide effective on-site product support as needed.
• Accurately sets severity of identified defects.
• Provide input to training and / or documentation materials regarding latest technical and functional design changes.
• Document all work for future reference.
• Review the system test approach and conditions used as the basis for detailed test scenarios.
• Follow quality standards.
• Analytical and customer service skills.
• Communicate accurate and useful status updates.
• Ability to work in a team environment.
• Complete assigned tasks.
• Strong communication skills; both written and spoken
• Actively contribute as an expert or actual designer.
• Coordinate product design reviews to verify that design meets quality standards and functional/technical requirements.
• Provide accurate estimates for design and programming efforts for system changes and enhancements.
• Coordinate enhancements to business and logical data models with data base administration to make the appropriate changes to the physical data model.
• Confirm that technical architecture will support all changes required by product enhancements.
• Effectively lead product tests and trials.
• Identify appropriate business examples to illustrate key concepts / features.
• Anticipate, identify, track and resolve issues and risks affecting own work and work of the Application Team. Develop contingency plans as necessary.
• Apply specific expertise to ensure that products meet defined customer objectives.
• Anticipate and resolve issues specific to the team.
• Determine time estimates and schedule for own work and resolve issues in a timely manner.
• Identify and track issues, risks and action items.
• Demonstrate expertise in teaching / conveying technical and / or functional courses / concepts.
• Develop appropriate work programs / budgets and use to effectively schedule tasks / assignments.
• Identify improvements to project standards to achieve high quality services / products.
• Deliver support and design for industry specific applications that require integration with statewide systems or applications.
• Interact with executive level business users or technical experts.
• May function as a niche SME.
• Responsible for functioning as the Technical SME on an enterprise-wide system.