Currently seeking a Health and Safety Specialist for our Berlin, NJ facility. Interested candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 2 years' experience in health and safety experience.
This position is responsible for meeting facility targets for safety. He/she will conduct effective problem solving and troubleshoot processes in order to develop corrective actions.
The Health & Safety Specialist will be responsible for developing and executing programs related to health & safety. The focus is to ensure effective administration of HS systems while maintaining a safe workplace and compliance with applicable health and safety regulations (OSHA, etc.), fostering a zero-harm culture for employees.
Responsibilities of the Health and Safety Specialist:
* Supports the HSE Manager in ensuring safety metrics and requirements for the facility are met as required, including OSHA required recordkeeping
* Champions initiatives that identify and communicate facility risk exposures, prioritize risk reduction needs, and drive closure of recommendations to reduce the identified risks
* Responsible for developing and administering safety and health related programs and conducting training for the facility (Life Critical policies, PPE policy, hearing conservation, respitory protection, etc.)
* Facilitates / oversees incident reporting, investigations, root cause analyses, and closure of corrective actions for HS related incidents; assists with case management
* Responsible for the Mobile Equipment program and qualifies appropriate personnel for mobile equipment per job requirements
* Monitors and prevents physical and biological hazards that could be present in the work area
* Recommends improvements in processes, design, procedures, and operating equipment to minimize hazardous potential
* Establishes and implements plant-wide safety communications to ensure employees are aware of potential hazards and unsafe conditions
* Develops action plans for HS activities, performs follow-up on these activities, and report status to EHS Manager
* Leads plant Safety Committee and participates in safety-related teams
* Leads plant behavior-based safety and near miss/good catch programs
* Appropriately administer and apply plant and corporate policies
* May be required to perform other related duties as assigned
Requirements of the Health and Safety Specialist:
* Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 2 years' experience in health and safety experience.
* Leadership skills to indirectly influence personnel, implement EHS initiatives, and perform follow-up on specific activities (Solid)
* Significant knowledge of safety regulatory standards (OSHA, etc.) (Solid)
* Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills (Solid)
* Strong organizational and training skills (Solid)
* Demonstrated root-cause analysis skills (Solid)
* Demonstrated safety and health assessments/audit skills (Solid)
* Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook (Solid)
* Fundamental knowledge of Behavior Based Safety including general principles, audit process, incentives, and accountability (Solid)
* Minimal travel required (5-10 days per year)
* May be required to lift, carry, push or pull up to and including 25 pounds
* Work environment is typical of a manufacturing facility; may be exposed to environmental conditions of cold, heat, high noise levels, moving mechanical parts, heights, dust/mist/gas/fumes, extensive walking or climbing, etc.