The food scientist (Research & Development / Quality Assurance) will work with the product development and marketing teams on developing and implementing new products, line extensions and current product enhancements. This position will involve working in both a laboratory and plant environment, and will also include other duties and responsibilities as a member of the QA team. Hours: 8:00am-5:00pm Monday-Friday. Salary is depending on experience.
* Work with product development lead on all aspects of the product development process.
* Produce samples as needed for customers and sales / marketing team.
* Ensure product development timelines are met.
* Receive and log incoming and outgoing samples.
* Conduct sensory evaluations.
* Conduct sensory training and proficiency testing for key employees.
* Facilitate product development projects and ongoing product monitoring with the operations team.
* Review daily formula and quality records, making specification, yield and related corrective actions as needed.
* Provide product information and technical support within the internal R&D / QA network and externally (e.g., sales, marketing, consumer relations, suppliers).
* Establish raw material and finished product specifications and ensure procured materials and new products meet these specifications.
* Facilitate third party review and certification of new products (e.g., USDA Organic, etc).
* Work closely with procurement to source new and cost-effective ingredients, ensuring that these ingredients meet all approved supplier / ingredient requirements.
* Establish nutrition facts and product labeling information; research health and related claims and make recommendations to QA management; review and approve packaging, labels and related documentation.
* Review consumer correspondence and conduct shelf-life testing, using results to drive product quality improvements
* Order lab supplies and support general laboratory upkeep and organization, including maintenance and calibration of laboratory equipment.
* Participate as an active member of cross-functional QA teams and in other duties as assigned.
*Bachelors Degree in food science or related field
*Minimum 2 years of experience in food product development or related field and/or internship in product development or other food related field
Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills; excellent organizational skills; knowledge of product development, basic nutrition, equipment calibration, food and safety regulations and good manufacturing practices; highly motivated; ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and to operate effectively in a fast-paced environment.
Williamson Employment Services, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employees and applicants for employment are protected by federal, state, and local laws designed to protect them from discrimination on the basis of age, race, religion, creed, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), marital status, parental status, national origin, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or any other factor unrelated to the requirements of a job. These protections extend to all management practices and decisions, including recruitment and hiring practices, appraisal systems, promotions, and training and career development programs.