Title: Unix and Linux System Administrator III
Location: Washington, DC
The incumbent will work in the Systems Management (ITSSM) team, which is responsible for maintaining IT operational infrastructure and providing the following services to the organization: Server Systems administration (Linux, AIX, Solaris Windows, and Virtualization platforms), Disk Storage and SAN administration, Data Backup and Restore administration, Server Security administration, and operational and infrastructure components of business continuity. Many related activities like Capacity Planning, Performance Analysis, Software Distribution, Availability Monitoring, and others are also performed by this group.
Essential Job Functions:
• Install and maintain up- to-date Operational System software, patch levels, firmware, drivers, and related program products
• Configure and customize software in accordance with site requirements
• Suggest and promote System Changes in accordance with documented SOPs (Standard Operational Procedures)
• Provide continuous monitoring, troubleshooting, and first level maintenance of the various application servers, systems and associated peripherals, including adequate follow up on Problem Resolution tracking using the Remedy tool
• Engage in system capacity planning and monitoring and generate health and usage reports of systems
• Participate in “On Call” weekly shifts supporting off hours and weekend activity
• Review and monitor service indicators to meet the agreed upon service levels
• Interact with software and hardware maintenance providers in enforcing adequate levels of support to installed hardware and software
• Provide support to other technical staff in performing account management, disk space management, backups, baseline security administration, testing of system features, and other systems administration activities
• Produce and maintain appropriate documentation and charts describing hardware setups, diagrams, operational procedures, and overall inventory
• Produce weekly reports of activities and operational status of systems under his/her control
• Monitor and review use of systems for Bank access control policy violations in line with Bank’s guidelines
• Ensure that the defined decommissioning and disposal procedures are followed for all hardware systems and media
• Report and respond to critical security events and take corrective measures per defined security incident management processes
• Follow and comply with the World Bank Group policies, processes, and procedures
• Participate in audits, as needed, producing necessary documentation, reports, and explanations, and implement corrective and preventive action plans approved by unit managers
Educational Qualifications and Experience:
• Education: Bachelor’s degree in computer related field
• Role Specific Experience: 7+ years of experience
• System administration experience in Red Hat operating system.
• Experience in managing mission critical Linux infrastructure, oracle Redhat RAC clusters with proven involvement in operations required for stringent uptime service levels
• Experience in troubleshooting SAN disks, Volume groups, and file systems and network issues.
• Experience in AWS, Azure and related tools in cloud.
• Knowledge and experience in shell scripting, programming and Chef configuration tool.
• Knowledge of VMware virtualization technology
• Good understanding of WEB related technologies, including architectural concepts but also basic operational principles of applications servers, web servers, etc.
• Team player with strong technical and user support skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Able to present and explain technical information to diverse types of audience (management, users, vendor, and technical staff)